User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Thanks for all the tips, people. I need to check out the videos when I have more time. believe me...it will be a looooong time before I read anything in German (besides some original poems facing the English translations!) But I really want to learn some German at the very least.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    EII

I don't have a ton of advice to give but I lived in eastern Germany for a couple of years and it was amazing . If you are going to be looking for work it is probably best to consider living in Western or Southern Germany as there are many more possibilities. Although I will say that Dresden is absolutely gorgeous and if you can get it to work out you would not regret it! Berlin is a very fun city too with lots of possibilities, these places aside however, employment is very hard to come by in eastern Germany .
    r0wo1 the destroyer of threads has struck again...

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by r0wo1 View Post
    I don't have a ton of advice to give but I lived in eastern Germany for a couple of years and it was amazing . If you are going to be looking for work it is probably best to consider living in Western or Southern Germany as there are many more possibilities. Although I will say that Dresden is absolutely gorgeous and if you can get it to work out you would not regret it! Berlin is a very fun city too with lots of possibilities, these places aside however, employment is very hard to come by in eastern Germany .
    From my own travel/experiences so far I'd go for Berlin or Munich...but I have heard that about Berlin/eastern Germany.

Does being an English speaker mean that teaching English would probably be my only/number one option?
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

I don't think it'll be your only option.

A lot depends on what you want to do or what you are willing to do. The more interaction with the public the job includes, the more language skills you'll need. An American friend of mine recently came here. Her German is pretty decent. She does make mistakes of course and she has quite an accent, but she can communicate pretty well and currently works as a sales person in a vintage record store (she's an art student and only here for a few months, so she's quite happy with it).
    I already mentioned the Finn who found a cool PR job with an NGO (a philology graduate). A Colombian friend who came here to study music now teaches music to children and can live from that and his concerts, but had to do shop inventory and work in a factory when he first came here. Several Spanish friends got teaching positions at the universities language academy without much of a formal qualification, just because they were desperatly in need of Spanish teachers. They all had at least some knowledge of German though.

There should be a demand for English teachers, I'm not sure about the supply side. A lot will depend on the formal qualification and experience you can present. Germans can be a bit anal finical about those.

Jobs in publishing are just as hard to get as they are in Britain, I'd guess. There might be an odd chance of getting into some language related program (an editor who does multilingual editions/text books, etc.), but you'll probably know more about that than I do. If you are a language person, teaching might be a good option, but don't feel like it's your only choice. If you have a basic knowledge of German, you can get into a lot of different areas. A lot might depend on what kind of life style you expect and how long you want to stay. Finding something to get by on for a few months should be easy (if you are willing to work as a waitress for a few months during the summer, that should be easy to arrange even with very basic language skills, but keep in mind that Munich is the most expensive city in the country...you'll very likely need to share a flat). Finding a serious job with a career perspective for a few years is something else...not impossible but it naturally takes much more preparation.
    Have you tried to contact your German friends about this?
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

He who laughs
    Enneagram
    5w4

especially watch ARD this saturday at 20:15, its the epitome of german culture. My grandmother never miss those shows.

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...ntenstadl&aq=f

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by slowriot View Post
    especially watch ARD this saturday at 20:15, its the epitome of german culture. My grandmother never miss those shows.

Are you trying to keep her away from us?
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Woo! You guys are great! Lots of good input.

Red Herring - I haven't talked to my German friends yet as this is all very very hypothetical. I mean, I'm pretty happy in London for now, but I started getting this weird niggling feeling that I should learn German. and then I did start thinking that in a year or two or three Germany might be a cool place to move. But I have a standing invite to visit a couple of Germans who now live in Basel...which I know isn't Germany but I might ask them about it. I'm not in touch with the friends in Berlin as much but I'll check in with them at some point.

I think in terms of jobs, I wouldn't be so attached to continuing to work in publishing or whatever - it doesn't seem so realistic if you move to a country where you don't speak the first language fluently (unless I amazingly reach that point in the next few years!), unless I really lucked out and got something with an English/academic publisher or something. At the opposite extreme, I'm not really that keen to take a big step back career-wise. And if I did move there at some point, I'm sure I would want it to be for AT LEAST a year, and more likely at least two or three. THat's kind of how I work with my moves...even a year isn't really long enough, let alone a few months. The shortest length of time I've lived in any country is three years.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

...but while we're at it: Here is some more "culture"

I'm sure I forgot a few.
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by slowriot View Post

BAHAHAHA. There is a part of me that loves this kind of thing. It's almost like Germans and other continental Europeans can be quite un-ironic about this sort of thing - merry cheesiness a-go-go. I know it's not Germany, but I was in Austria a few years ago and was watching beach volleyball in front of the parliament in Vienna (don't ask.) The PA started pumping out "Your Lips Are Like Poison" and everyone was nodding and clapping along with evident enjoyment. The English would have had to emphasize how ironically they were enjoying it.

Finns love accordions too...

I love Neuschwanstein! I don't know if it's considered cheesy in Germany, but seeing it in real life was so beautiful - so magical the way it seemed to float in the air from a distance, a true castle in the air.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

He who laughs
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    Are you trying to keep her away from us?
    as almost being a german region on many occassions, we have some of the same culture as you guys. So in theory Im keeping her away from all northern european countries. And since it seems she has scandinavian roots, its not as if she wouldnt be exposed to this at some point in her life or a scandinavian variety of it. Eventhough you germans perfected it. Kudos to you for that achievement.