12311 Last

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Default Gender confusion among forum members

I've noticed that several forum members have been frequently mistaken for the opposite gender. Several people have initially thought I was male. This has applied to several other forums I've been on as well. Is it just because I'm T female or is it something in the style of my posting or choice of username?

To be fair, I've wrongly guessed gender on several forum members. I think subconsciously I guess gender based on username, choice of avatar, signature, or even MBTI type. I'm not trying to be sexist, but I initially picture T types as males and F types as females unless there is some other clue to suggest not.

Males on this forum who I've mistaken for females:
    Savage Idealist
    Athenian200

Females on this forum who I've mistaken for males:
    Whatever
    Orangey
    YWIR
    Randominity
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

It's hard when the username is non-gender specific. Then I tend to also guess based on the avatar. Sometimes if I'm really curious I'll check for a profile pic, or search through past posts and try to find a place where the person references gender, or someone else who I think knows better than I do references that person's gender, but that's rare. And sometimes the other person is wrong, and then I misinform myself! I really advocate for the using of user photos as avatars, or at least in the profile pic. I'm not currently using a pic of myself as an avatar because it seems not to be the norm here, but on other forums I've been on, it was much more common and very helpful.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Orangey and Randominity are women? That's news to me. And wait, Savage Idealist isn't a girl, what the hell!?

Hmm... I wonder if it has something to do with the T/F dichotomy, seeing as how F guys with cute avatars come across as more feminine and womanly, while T girls with tougher avatars caom across as more masculine and manly?

The Duchess of Oddity Queen Kat's Avatar
    MBTI
    E.T.
    Enneagram
    7w8

People never confuse me for a man. They even didn't when my username was still Saint Kat and when my avatar had a moustache. BOOHOO.
    I was sitting outside the classroom waiting to go in, and I saw an airplane hit the tower. The TV was obviously on. I used to fly myself and I said, "There's one terrible pilot."
    - George W. Bush -

SCUAI - 7w8 sx/sp - Chaotic Evil - Fucking Cute - ALIVE

Blog. Read it, bitches.
    Questions? Click here
    If you don't agree about my MBTI type, you can complain about it here. I've had plenty of people telling me I'm something else, in my reputation box. That's annoying.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    I've noticed that several forum members have been frequently mistaken for the opposite gender. Several people have initially thought I was male. This has applied to several other forums I've been on as well. Is it just because I'm T female or is it something in the style of my posting or choice of username?

To be fair, I've wrongly guessed gender on several forum members. I think subconsciously I guess gender based on username, choice of avatar, signature, or even MBTI type. I'm not trying to be sexist, but I initially picture T types as males and F types as females unless there is some other clue to suggest not.

Savage Idealist
    Athenian200
    I actually identify as female, even though I'm physically male. I prefer to be called "she," or at least "it."

It's very complicated... trans-sexuality, gender dysphoria, and all that.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post

Savage Idealist
    Athenian200

Females on this forum who I've mistaken for males:
    Whatever
    Orangey
    YWIR
    Randominity
    Athenian identifies as a female.

(Oops, Athenian already mentioned that.)
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    yupp

big whoop, I've been mistaken for male numerous times, just correct the person and move on.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

ThatGirl

It's probably time I admit that I am actually a female.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

people apparently thought i was a fat black guy from my old avatar but im the opposite

the Dark Prophet of Kualu
    MBTI
    RAD

We could always have a competition; List every forum member you know of and "sex" them. :P
    Maybe it can provide data for how different types pick up clues and which values are attributed to each sex.
    And for the more competitive members, there's "who can guess the best?"
    This might not be the environment for something like this and it'll prove close to nothing since we cannot control what each member will be able to pick up.
    Either way, I'm out.