User Tag List

First 56789 Last

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I've had a few doggy avatars and a few men as avatars I suppose
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    This is because on the internet time and space are abolished along with gender.

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I appeared on the confusion list despite having a very feminine avatar
    You used to have that dark character with a flame.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

I've learned its best not to assume because I used to get it wrong so much. I must say, I think its kinda awesome to see so many subvert gender stereotypes and that you just have to take people based on the information they provide. I particularly think the NT women are interesting in this regard - not that I can entirely explain why.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

Many members have expressed in the past their deliberate efforts to misrepresent their gender for a variety of reasons. It is not always the assumptions of others that lead to confusion.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

^This makes me wonder, why does it even matter? Most of the things we talk about here are unrelated to gender. It isn't necessary to guess what everyone here is, so why do we do it anyway? Is it really that crucial to understand someone's personality or is it just so we can decide to whether we want to flirt with/patronise them or not?
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    This makes me wonder, why does it even matter? Most of the things we talk about here are unrelated to gender. Is it really that crucial to understand someone's personality or is it just so we can decide to whether we want to flirt with/patronise them or not?
    This was one of the reasons cited.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

figsfiggyfigs

I started using more " feminine" avatars since I realized how many people thought I was a man.

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEI

For many, many years I have been mistaken for a male over the internet. I think a lot of it has to do with how masculine your profile name is along with your avatar. In a way, this is the "face" people see of you on the internet. And since people have so little to go by, they make snap decisions based on your posts, name, etc.
    Anything that you haven't fought for isn't going to be appreciated. It takes blood, sweat, and a large amount of tears before you appreciate what you have.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Just as there is no Chinese Physics anymore than there is American or Australian Physics. There is only Physics.

And equally there is no female Physics anymore than there is male Physics.

In the same way there is no female thought anymore than there is male thought. There is only thought.

And on the internet there is no intrinsic male avatar anymore than there is a female avatar. This is because on the internet time and space are abolished along with gender.

The internet is a bit like heaven that knows neither male nor female.

So how to explain this obsession with gender?

Well, in real life most of our members are in the market for a mate, and they let their mating behaviour spill over onto the internet.

But let's face reality - the internet is a very strange place to look for a mate.
    Almost ed, the space time bit and the last line stopped me.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    ^This makes me wonder, why does it even matter? Most of the things we talk about here are unrelated to gender. It isn't necessary to guess what everyone here is, so why do we do it anyway? Is it really that crucial to understand someone's personality or is it just so we can decide to whether we want to flirt with/patronise them or not?
    i don't think it does, really, but since we're conditioned since early childhood that gender is a highly important distinction - as well as being a very visual distinction - we look for it in our primary characterization of a person. it feels odd to not have a gender read on someone, even if that read falls somewhere in the middle.