User Tag List

First 678

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

A Catholic priest would probably claim that the new testament supersedes the old. In other words, that it is Jesus' commandments we must follow now (love God with all your heart/mind/soul; love your neighbor as yourself). We are not held to the OT law, which no one could ever fulfill, but are forgiven and justified by Jesus' sacrifice. (Pardon the crudeness of this interpretation; I think I have the gist.) This does not mean there is no internal contradiction in the NT, or that Catholic traditions and requirements adhere completely to it, Neither is the case. The focus on the NT, however, sets the bar much lower.

The Bible only appears as "harmonized" as it does because it was compiled, edited, packaged, etc. by a small group in the early church with a very definite political/bureaucratic agenda. They compiled it to suit their purposes, deliberately excluding other contemporary writings that did not, and then labelling these "heresy". Perhaps the ultimate self-fulfilling prophecy.

Finally, I see a role for reason in determining one's beliefs, but by reason I do not mean logic, or objective/historical fact. An important function of reason is to check internal consistency, to measure actions against faith, and to measure both against reality. None of this proves anything on the spiritual plane, but it provides a much firmer foundation for personal belief than "mere" tradition, or externally imposed belief.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I can believe there is a "higher power" and attribute much to it, without believing the Bible to be true except in the broadest figurative sense. It is also not bad as an accounting of a particular culture's view of God and religion. God/Deity is so much more than is depicted even in the Bible. I see those who limit themselves to this view as almost having blinders on, especially if they deny the existence of anything more, rather than simply acknowledging that the Biblical representation is the one that speaks most strongly to them.

(BTW: the idea that the earth is round dates back to at least 6th century BCE Greece. It is not that surprising, then to find such a reference in a section of the Bible dated to the 4th c BCE, if the author really means round [3-dimensional] and not circular [2-dimensional])

Finally, @ Southern Lawyer: if you are interested in reading accessible works by scientists discussing evolution vs. biblical accounts of creation, try the books of Stephen Jay Gould. I had him as an instructor, and he was quite personable, easy to understand, and quite knowledgeable on this issue.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...