INTP

Nobody meets the demands of biblical scripture

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    Nobody meets the demands of biblical scripture
    Agreed. We should try, though!

Sniffles

It's a fact that SPs are all Satanists!

Quote Originally Posted by southern_lawyer View Post
    Have you ever seen 'Inherit the Wind' (1960)?

Yes, sir. Gotta love Clarence Darrow. However, I see a lot more holes in the Theory of Evolution than what is labeled, "intelligent design."
    Are you interested in fixing the holes or are you afraid that might lead you astray from the right path?

Reason trumps faith. To me, that is a good thing.

We may have a different understanding of what faith is. I believe faith comes from reason. Faith is the evidence of the unseen.
    Would you mind reasoning your way to god for me? Because I fail to see how faith can come from reason.

Unless you read it literally (and even then still), you interpret it, that is you view it through subjective lenses.

The bible is its own best interpreter. Again, its objective if read in the light of its context, literary style, audience, etc. It just depends on the book.
    Okay, this seems pointless.

How can you be sure that the genesis is not a metaphor, perhaps not even for the beginning of the world?

The context just doesn't lend it. It's very detailed as to real people, that existed, like Adam, Noah, and Abraham. Jesus and the New Testament writers spoke of them as their ancestors. Moses appeared on the mount of transfiguration. He's not in Genesis, I realize, but he led the Jewish people, the descendants of Abraham. Peter in his epistles wrote of Noah and God's destruction of the earth by water, and that the earth will again be destroyed, except by being burned up and all of the elements therein. If we don't accept the miracle of the creation, why would we accept the miracle of the resurrection?
    http://mideastfacts.org/facts/index....d=32&Itemid=34

That it utter nonsense.

He would stand by the church tradition that the Pope can't be married, yet Peter (said to be the first Pope) was married. He would stand by the church tradition of sprinkling babies as baptism, yet baptism is immersion and only for those who believe in Jesus. He would stand by the church tradition of commanding to abstain from meat on Fridays, yet the Holy Spirit expresses every creature of God is good and to be received with thanksgiving. He would stand by the church tradition of praying to Mary and countless other people, yet Christ is the only mediator between God and man according to scripture. He would stand by the tradition of bishops being unmarried yet scripture commands they be married with children. I don't think it's all nonsense.
    It is nonsense to believe he were unable to differentiate between tradition and scripture.

I bet that Ratzinger would not state otherwise, nor would any other high-ranking cleric. They have traditions, but they still read their Bible carefully.

I won't say they don't read their bible carefully as I don't know them personally, they just don't do what it says when it comes to religious practice and instead place their man-made traditions above what scripture demands.
    That does not make them any less capable of debating what scripture demands.

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

*under the influence of being NT*

..must.. be.. atheist..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Are you interested in fixing the holes or are you afraid that might lead you astray from the right path?

I'm really not that interested, it's just really not a pressing issue to me, but I am willing to listen to and consider any new information you were to give me. I don't fear that I would be lead astray by delving into such things, in fact Christians are admonished to always be ready to give an answer for the hope that they have within them. I should study even if I'm not interested.

Would you mind reasoning your way to god for me? Because I fail to see how faith can come from reason.

I won't go too in depth, but there were a lot of factors in "reasoning my way to God." The harmony of the scriptures, for one. It's a book written by forty different authors over a period of 1600 years, yet none of the writers contradict one another on any issue. And some of the writers were hundreds of years apart with no access to one another. The folks who wrote the scriptures came from varying backgrounds, and despite their differences, the scriptures are in complete agreement. The fulfilled prophecies, as well. Also, the archaeological evidence supports what's written in scripture. There are thousands of facts and statements in scripture that are validated by archaeological finds and scientific discoveries. You cited a link to a website with an article claiming otherwise, but there's so many more that contradict that. It's also interesting that the website is devoted to anti-Zionism. You think there may be a little bias? I'm no Zionist, but the fact that Zionism is often associated with Judaism makes think that an anti-Zionist political group would use all they can to discredit any religion that is tied to such a worldview. I'm just a little bit suspicious about the motives of the group posting such an article, especially since I have seen so many more archaeological finds that support the truth of scripture. Anyways, in short, the archaeological evidence, the scientific evidence, the fulfilled prophecies of scripture, and the harmony of the bible lead me to believe the accuracy of the scripture and the Christ that they testify of. And I suppose another reason is the people, including myself, I have seen God work in and through. I've seen too many changed lives to doubt God's existence.

It is nonsense to believe he were unable to differentiate between tradition and scripture.

OK, but they sure don't have any trouble binding traditions on their followers that are in direct contradiction with what the scriptures expressly say. It just makes me wonder if they really can differentiate between the two, or perhaps what their priorities are.

That does not make them any less capable of debating what scripture demands.

O.K. It is interesting though that scripture demands Bishops be married with children but the Catholic Church demands they not be.

I wish I could figure out how to do quotations.

I'm really not that interested, it's just really not a pressing issue to me, but I am willing to listen to and consider any new information you were to give me. I don't fear that I would be lead astray by delving into such things, in fact Christians are admonished to always be ready to give an answer for the hope that they have within them. I should study even if I'm not interested.
    Well, you would have to point out the holes you see. But if you are not really interested, I see no reason to press the issue either.

I won't go too in depth, but there were a lot of factors in "reasoning my way to God." The harmony of the scriptures, for one. It's a book written by forty different authors over a period of 1600 years, yet none of the writers contradict one another on any issue. And some of the writers were hundreds of years apart with no access to one another. The folks who wrote the scriptures came from varying backgrounds, and despite their differences, the scriptures are in complete agreement.
    http://www.infidels.org/library/mode...istencies.html I trust a good christian will find a way to weasel himself out of all those contradictions, though.

The fulfilled prophecies, as well.
    Such as?

Also, the archaeological evidence supports what's written in scripture. There are thousands of facts and statements in scripture that are validated by archaeological finds and scientific discoveries.
    Of course. The book was written by real human beings, fully equipped with eyes and ears.

You cited a link to a website with an article claiming otherwise, but there's so many more that contradict that. It's also interesting that the website is devoted to anti-Zionism. You think there may be a little bias? I'm no Zionist, but the fact that Zionism is often associated with Judaism makes think that an anti-Zionist political group would use all they can to discredit any religion that is tied to such a worldview. I'm just a little bit suspicious about the motives of the group posting such an article, especially since I have seen so many more archaeological finds that support the truth of scripture.
    The article first appeared in the weekly magazine 'Haaretz', Israel's oldest daily newspaper.

And I suppose another reason is the people, including myself, I have seen God work in and through. I've seen too many changed lives to doubt God's existence.
    I am sure you have heard of the placebo effect, wishful thinking, delusions and so on.

OK, but they sure don't have any trouble binding traditions on their followers that are in direct contradiction with what the scriptures expressly say. It just makes me wonder if they really can differentiate between the two, or perhaps what their priorities are.
    I am not a catholic priest, but I imagine someone who is would claim that the church does not promote traditions which contradict the teachings of the Bible. Of course you would disagree; but then he would start to objectively interpret the scripture, coming to the conclusion that you are, to your great astonishment, indeed wrong.

O.K. It is interesting though that scripture demands Bishops be married with children but the Catholic Church demands they not be.
    Not really.

I wish I could figure out how to do quotations.
    Like this (replacing < with [ and > with ]): <QUOTE=southern_lawyer>text</QUOTE> Or by clicking 'Reply With Quote' at the bottom of the respective post.

Well, you would have to point out the holes you see. But if you are not really interested, I see no reason to press the issue either.

I really am interested, sir, I apologize for my dismissive tone. Such a venture would require a lot of time and you, or someone else, would have to explain things to me as if I were a child. Perhaps it would be better to do it through private e-mail? I really am interested in studying the subject, though. Both sides. My thing is, I am so ignorant when it comes to science and biology, and other "hot button" scientific issues, like global warming, and when I see scientists on both sides of the issue, I figure if they can't agree, I have no place in defending a certain scientific theory on the basis of my own scientific knowledge.

http://www.infidels.org/library/mode...istencies.html I trust a good christian will find a way to weasel himself out of all those contradictions, though.

I reckon they would. But could it be possible that those who claim the bible is full of contradictions haven't done much investigation of the scriptures themselves? Looking at the list on your link, whoever did that clearly is grasping for straws. It's pretty weak. You're obviously very bright and I believe that if you objectively looked into the scriptures put up against one another and the context of them that that list cites, you would notice a lot of ignorance of the scriptures at first glance on most of those.

Such as?

The crucifixion! That's just one.

Of course. The book was written by real human beings, fully equipped with eyes and ears.

True, but it's pretty impressive that the book of Job, said to be the oldest book of the Bible, refers to the earth as a circle. Also, all of the hygenic laws of the Jews back in Leviticus which were based on medical truths that were hundreds of years from being determined by humans makes me think there was a higher power involved. For instance, circumcision had to be done by the eighth day after a boys birth. Do you know why? Do you reckon the humans back then understood why they needed to do all the things God told them?

The article first appeared in the weekly magazine 'Haaretz', Israel's oldest daily newspaper.

O.K.

I am sure you have heard of the placebo effect, wishful thinking, delusions and so on.

I suppose you would have to believe that if you are convinced there is no higher power, or at least one who is involved in the lives of human beings. I do suppose though, that I want the message of the Gospel to be true and perhaps that causes me to attribute a lot to God, but just personally speaking, the changes in peoples' lives that I have witnessed, including my own, is pretty convincing. It really is funny, I'm very cynical when it comes to most everything else, but the F in my personality really shows when it comes to talking about spiritual matters.

I am not a catholic priest, but I imagine someone who is would claim that the church does not promote traditions which contradict the teachings of the Bible. Of course you would disagree; but then he would start to objectively interpret the scripture, coming to the conclusion that you are, to your great astonishment, indeed wrong.

O.K. I'm wrong a lot. I batted .500 at the motion docket to day. However, I still think I'm right on my motion to dismiss that was denied,

Not really.

O.K.

Like this (replacing < with [ and > with ]): <QUOTE=southern_lawyer>text</QUOTE> Or by clicking 'Reply With Quote' at the bottom of the respective post.

I'm dumb.

I really am interested, sir, I apologize for my dismissive tone. Such a venture would require a lot of time and you, or someone else, would have to explain things to me as if I were a child. Perhaps it would be better to do it through private e-mail? I really am interested in studying the subject, though. Both sides. My thing is, I am so ignorant when it comes to science and biology, and other "hot button" scientific issues, like global warming, and when I see scientists on both sides of the issue, I figure if they can't agree, I have no place in defending a certain scientific theory on the basis of my own scientific knowledge.
    I am not interested in becoming your personal teacher. However, I can imagine that, if you started a thread in the 'philosophy' subforum, many knowledgable people would rush in to help you understand the world.

I reckon they would. But could it be possible that those who claim the bible is full of contradictions haven't done much investigation of the scriptures themselves? Looking at the list on your link, whoever did that clearly is grasping for straws. It's pretty weak. You're obviously very bright and I believe that if you objectively looked into the scriptures put up against one another and the context of them that that list cites, you would notice a lot of ignorance of the scriptures at first glance on most of those.
    Thus the out-weaseling began.

The crucifixion! That's just one.
    It was foretold that a Jewish preacher from Nazareth would be crucified and that he would be the messiah?

True, but it's pretty impressive that the book of Job, said to be the oldest book of the Bible, refers to the earth as a circle.
    The Earth is not a circle. But if it were, would you agree that Democritus, a heathen who believed in the existence of atoms in 400 BC, was also inspired by your god?

Also, all of the hygenic laws of the Jews back in Leviticus which were based on medical truths that were hundreds of years from being determined by humans makes me think there was a higher power involved.
    We do not know what they knew, we only know what they wrote down and what we deduced from archaeological findings. Some, if not most, of their rules regarding food are nonsense. Why did god tell the truth about hygiene and lie about food?

For instance, circumcision had to be done by the eighth day after a boys birth. Do you know why? Do you reckon the humans back then understood why they needed to do all the things God told them?
    I reckon god told them nothing. I reckon they devised rules for themselves that, if complied with, make living and surviving in a desert environment easier.

I do suppose though, that I want the message of the Gospel to be true and perhaps that causes me to attribute a lot to God, but just personally speaking, the changes in peoples' lives that I have witnessed, including my own, is pretty convincing.

I'm dumb.
    And a lawyer.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    I think that Ns are often not religious at all, but Ns who are religious can often be more passionate and certain about their religious belief than any SJ ever thought of being.

Sensors may be more likely to be religious, but I think a lot of that might be more due to not questioning their assumptions or being that interested in focusing on anything that isn't concrete. The idea of god is not concrete, so they usually just accept it without really wanting to focus on it... but really, they still mostly live their lives in the concrete world. They might apply a lot of religious rules, and follow a lot of ceremonies, but this is more based on tradition than religion.

I mean, think about it... an N who really believes god exists, is thinking about the idea of god all the time, and how the concepts in the world around them relate to their concept of god. An S who believes in god... is really not focused on the idea of god itself, but on the physical world.
    9,000 posts and you still don't get it. Time for a program upgrade.

If you think about God, it represents a great lesson in N/S. You can't see physically see Him, but there's a lot of evidence around that proves his existance- some very evident, some not so. Anybody with a brain can put this together.