User Tag List

First 78910 Last

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    No, because you do not survive. You will die.
    This is curious, considering that if I commit the act of self-sacrifice I will certainly also die. My personal survival instinct would tell me that dying later is better than dying sooner... so morality loses again, at least in the short term.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

You dont need atheism to have...

Well really anything, I dont see the point in atheism.

ReflecTcelfeR

Religion teaches morality through reinforcement. It's either positive (extraverted feeling - harmony) or negative (extraverted thinking - consequences/punishment). I think it's (religion) a good start, like jump-starting a car, but after that you need to find a way to let the battery recharge itself.

I am Catholic, but I truly don't need it to believe in morality. Nor do I need religion to believe in God.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2
    Socionics
    ENFJ

I don't see how it can be necessary with 83 posts just to state the obvious: Of course you don't need religion to have morals. End of discussion

MBTI
    yupp

no I know what I believe, I just want to see what others believe. Call it curiosity
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by ReflecttcelfeR View Post
    Religion teaches morality through reinforcement. It's either positive (extraverted feeling - harmony) or negative (extraverted thinking - consequences/punishment). I think it's (religion) a good start, like jump-starting a car, but after that you need to find a way to let the battery recharge itself.

I am Catholic, but I truly don't need it to believe in morality. Nor do I need religion to believe in God.
    Very nicely done my friend.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

People behave morally because (1) they were raised to behave in a certain way, and (2) that "way" is reproduced and reinforced on a daily basis. When the environment in which such cooperation is necessary changes, then so does the behavior. Hence the "banality of evil." Thus, morality has little to do either with internalized ethics or religion. Morality is situational.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by syndatha View Post
    I don't see how it can be necessary with 83 posts just to state the obvious: Of course you don't need religion to have morals. End of discussion

^ Hah. I was thinking this.

There are so many points of view. "Christians" massacred Jerusalem. Stalin was an "atheist" who killed millions. The Muslim terrorist believes he's a martyr. He believes he will live in paradise with 100's of virgins. We honor the US fighter pilot as a "hero" for fighting the terrorists, even though he bombed a residential neighborhood and primary school.

In church you are taught that Israel is the apple of God's eye, and that we should completely support them. Then I heard stories from people who'd grew up in Lebanon. He was riding home on his bicycle and watched as the Israelis shelled his apartment complex to the ground. This was a residential building. There were no terrorists living there. My point of view changed, hearing the details of his story. What? They are not the "good guys"? Why would they shell an apartment complex to the ground where children and families lived?

Thus, people can be "moral" or "amoral", independent of what they feel about God.

I think "doctors without borders" is secular? I'm sure there are many great secular (atheist) humanitarian, moral agencies. Also, there are people who do it because of their faith-inspired vision and mission. Habitat for Humanity was started for religious reasons. I doubt Mother Teresa would have picked up that first maggot infested individual and helped him if not for her faith.

I believe that faith has a positive influence on the world, but it's not necessary to have religion to be moral. Whether a person is relatively more moral if they have faith or not, I'd have to consider on a case by case basis.

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by syndatha View Post
    This.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

Agree.

I'm a shameless cherry-picker in life with all things, especially idea(l)s. I pick the best of what I find in any tree and keep it for myself.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke