User Tag List

First 345

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    ?
    Socionics
    EXPP

The sex/gender difference wasn't established.

The question was significance of being a woman, the term woman usually referring to an adult human with a vagina, genetically XX, and who espouses a feminine gender.

Now, if we broke it down into what's meaning of being a member of the feminine gender, we might get different answers, but that wasn't how it was worded.

But I do see your point, Orangey. Maybe we have some trans members on this forum?
    a cat is fine too

Quote Originally Posted by chachamaru View Post
    But I do see your point, Orangey. Maybe we have some trans members on this forum?
    We have quite a few.

Orangey's question is legit because agreeing upon a definition first is half the battle.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    We have quite a few.

Orangey's question is legit because agreeing upon a definition first is half the battle.
    So that's what G.I. Joe left out!

Seriously, nobody else thought to include that corny joke?

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Queen Kat View Post
    The Meaning of Being a Woman = XX
    This is the definition of a woman?

I tend to stay out of threads like these because I'm no expert on what being a woman means to a woman, biological definitions however cause issues as a person can be biologically female without fitting any other criteria of femaleness.

On the other side biologically this is a man, but would you consider them so?

I'm convinced Kim has no idea what being a man would be all about even though biology wants to say otherwise.

People who are transsexual invalidate using simple biology to define the concept of what it means to be a man or woman.

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    So that's what G.I. Joe left out!

Seriously, nobody else thought to include that corny joke?
    I love G.I. Joe references. Good call.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

mainly that i am culturally expected to wear different clothes and have nice-looking long hair.

The "feminine" represents, to me personally, reception, creation, continuity, synthesis, strength and sustenance. Though I don't mean "submissive" or "weak" at all when I mention receptiveness.

But the culturally constructed concept of the feminine (personality traits, body shapes, products such as cosmetics and certain clothes, etc) and the female gender (not biological sex) itself seems kind of... empty? to me so far (I wonder if it's alright to call it that). Along the same lines, I don't think that gender should be defined by / correlated to the presence of "feminine energy" or "masculine energy" at all; being a female is completely unrelated to being culturally feminine.

Though I do believe in the "female experience" (the experience of living life as a biological female in any given culture) and think it can definitely be explored. I appreciate iwakar's efforts to.

Whether I'm fighting against, consciously or unconsciously, or whether I'm fighting for, my identity as a female gender - is secondary. First, it's knowing that any time I am, I do, I be, without constraint, the manifested individual I envision in my mind, I may widen the boundaries of what a female gender is capable of, just a bit more.

To me, that is the meaning of being a woman. I get to be me, and as a natural by-product, in the process, I get to add to the meaning of what it means to be a woman. That is my priviledge, that is my power, that is my responsibility.

In whatever way I leave my mark, I get to add to the history of the generations of women before me, and hopefully leave something behind, for the ones to come. I always picture it as an unquestionable line of women, generations and generations, from the "beginning", holding hands, in an unbreakable chain. It overwhelms me, at times, and humbles me, just the same.
    Last edited by Qre:us; 03-18-2011 at 08:55 PM. Reason: more thought...