User Tag List

MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    5w4

Post The difference between "unconscious" and "instinctual" aspects of human psychology

Is there a difference? I'm been thinking about this lately, and though Jung and Freud used these terms as if they referred to different aspects of human psychology, I wonder if their usage was confusing...because I get the [naive] impression that these words are interchangable.
    “To explain all nature is too difficult a task for any one man or even for any one age. 'Tis much better to do a little with certainty, & leave the rest for others that come after you, than to explain all things by conjecture without making sure of any thing.”—Statement from unpublished notes for the Preface to the Opticks (1704) by Newton.

What do you think about me? And for the darker side, here.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

jung and freud used the word unconscious pretty differently.

according to freud unconscious is: thoughts, feelings, memories and wishes that are extremely difficult to bring awareness; may appear in disguised form in dreams.
    that portion of the mind inaccessible to usual conscious thoughts.
    and his evidence for unconscious are things like dreams, slips of the tongue, material derived from free association, symbolic content of psychotic symptoms

also he said that there is alot more unconscious things going on in mind than conscious things

instincts according to him is, more like drives, like

libido(sexual energy) - survival of the individual and human race: oriented towards growth, development and creativity
    death drive - accounts for aggressive drive; to die or hurt themselves or others
    etc etc

for jung unconscious is a psychological borderline concept that covers all psychic contents or processed that are not conscious, not related to ego in any perceptible way. but he does talk that results from unconscious processing can get into consciousness. take Si for example. its basically Se working in unconscious and Si is perceiving the personal impressions of these Se images to the conscious mind, but keeping the Se in the unconscious. and its not just some functions that work through unconscious, its everything your brain processes that you arent aware of.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    for jung unconscious is a psychological borderline concept that covers all psychic contents or processed that are not conscious, not related to ego in any perceptible way. but he does talk that results from unconscious processing can get into consciousness. take Si for example. its basically Se working in unconscious and Si is perceiving the personal impressions of these Se images to the conscious mind, but keeping the Se in the unconscious. and its not just some functions that work through unconscious, its everything your brain processes that you arent aware of.
    In the case of Jung, did he see a difference between instinct and the unconscious? I'm not sure about what you wrote in the above quote...
    “To explain all nature is too difficult a task for any one man or even for any one age. 'Tis much better to do a little with certainty, & leave the rest for others that come after you, than to explain all things by conjecture without making sure of any thing.”—Statement from unpublished notes for the Preface to the Opticks (1704) by Newton.

What do you think about me? And for the darker side, here.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

instincts are freuds stuff, not jungs. he didt use the word instinct and maybe had totally different views about it, at least he had really different views on some fundamental stuff than freud, i dunno exactly and all that they were, but was enough for them to stop working together and they even stopped being friends. but dunno if there was also some personal problems between them or just some fundamentally different views of the human mind.

i forgot to mention that freud also has a concept of subconscious, they are things that are sort of unconscious(by his definition of the unconscious ofc), but can be brought onto conscious without too much work and without help from others.

you know there is no right or some official definition of unconscious, people dont even know what it exactly is, so there are just different views about it that are more or less similar with each other.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

4 and a half years later..

Everyone realized that Jung used Collective Unconscious as our psychological instincts.