First 17252627282937 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    It's very possible that being a P is more difficult in life than being a Je. I can accept that and don't need to invalidate your statement by suggesting that it's because you've only experienced imaginary frustration.
    lmao

it's kind of crazy how this thread went from an S saying they're cool with understanding some facets of frustration from an N perspective into basically garbage.

i'm sure there are S frustrations with Ns too. my ESFJ mom and i have trouble sometimes. i tend to delve into ideas and not get things done, while she gets a lot done tangibly. i don't think these things are completely covered by the MBTI ideas of S and N but i do think that it's a decent tool for talking about the differences objectively. we have different priorities; functions are about how we prioritize. i tend to look at things in an intangible way and she tends to look at things in a tangible way. in general. not always. as a "preference", not a rule, it makes sense. and we can both prioritize the same desires via different thought processes. we both want love and a happy family. she gathers us and cares for us IRL, while i try to address communication differences by learning about our personalities. it's for the same purpose, just a different way of going about it. but her efforts are more steadily tangible, and concrete, and thus more readily appreciated by others in general. that's an example of S bias. it's not that big of a deal. sometimes the opposite way of going about things has a tendency to be more appreciated. in academia, for example. i'm not at all saying that Ss don't do well in academia, or that Ss can't, or that the S functions aren't useful in academia. N functions just might have certain tendencies that end up being more easily appreciated in that environment.

imo it just depends on your environment and how you can find ways to cope with it. i do believe my hometown would be best appreciated by SFJs most, but i've lived in a really FP area as well. and NYC, which is really N/Te friendly. likewise maybe this forum is a generally more N way of addressing things. but an S could form this place or arrive here by the same priorities just as easily. all of these designations, N and S, are just generalizations and preferences. they don't encompass everything.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I'll try again...

Sensors like concrete communication, Intuitives like abstract communication. When an Intuitive starts talking about abstractions, the Sensor goes, "Ugh. That's pointless." When a Sensor starts talking about concrete stuff, the Intuitive goes, "Ugh. That's pointless."

So basically, we bore the heck out of each other due to each of us tending to focus on the "wrong" thing, so we misunderstand each other. This can change with very mature people, but that's how it goes normally.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

unless you're talking an observationally based portion of academia (whatever has a degree in social psychology, for instance she also excels at people watching)
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    self induced... I beleive that people can get a much better grasp on other functions if they have an open mind towards learning and developing them... I'm not sure by this point as to whether I started out as an N with strong S or vice versa because I've worked on both throughout my life- not to close a door on either function because I've seen both to be vital to me feeling like a whole person. It's when people close thier mind to what is different that the trouble begins
    So are you suggesting that children should be made to understand MBTI and grasp it like adults?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

unless you're talking an observationally based portion of academia (whatever has a degree in social psychology, for instance she also excels at people watching)
    Yeah, but Sensors and Intuitives tend to focus on different sorts of things, so even if they're talking about the same subject, they'll be interested in different aspects of it.

Although, personally, I think that your Se and Ne being balanced calls into question whether Jung's theories, and hence MBTI, are even sound... we could all be arguing about phantoms. inventions of our own imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    lmao

it's kind of crazy how this thread went from an S saying they're cool with understanding some facets of frustration from an N perspective into basically garbage.

i'm sure there are S frustrations with Ns too. my ESFJ mom and i have trouble sometimes. i tend to delve into ideas and not get things done, while she gets a lot done tangibly. i don't think these things are completely covered by the MBTI ideas of S and N but i do think that it's a decent tool for talking about the differences objectively. we have different priorities; functions are about how we prioritize. i tend to look at things in an intangible way and she tends to look at things in a tangible way. it makes sense. and we can both prioritize the same desires via different thought processes. we both want love and a happy family. she gathers us and cares for us IRL, while i try to address communication differences by learning about our personalities. it's for the same purpose, just a different way of going about it. but her efforts are more steadily tangible, and concrete, and thus more readily appreciated by others in general. that's an example of S bias. it's not that big of a deal. sometimes the opposite way of going about things has a tendency to be more appreciated. in academia, for example. i'm not at all saying that Ss don't do well in academia, or that Ss can't, or that the S functions aren't useful in academia. N functions just might have certain tendencies that end up being more easily appreciated in that environment.

imo it just depends on your environment and how you can find ways to cope with it. i do believe my hometown would be best appreciated by SFJs most, but i've lived in a really FP area as well. and NYC, which is really N/Te friendly. likewise maybe this forum is a generally more N way of addressing things. but an S could form this place or arrive here by the same priorities just as easily. all of these designations, N and S, are just generalizations and preferences. they don't encompass everything.

I'm a bit confused by your post. If adaptability is key, then wouldn't being a P be more beneficial than being a Je?

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

So are you suggesting that children should be made to understand MBTI and grasp it like adults?
    no... I didn't understand it at that point, but I understood that there was more to the world than just one perspective
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Although, personally, I think that your Se and Ne being balanced calls into question whether Jung's theories, and hence MBTI, are even sound... we could all be arguing about phantoms. inventions of our own imagination.
    everything's a construct... to argue about it is pointless except for those who are in it for the pure love of arguing

the idea that everything has to fit into it's own proper little place is too NEAT- there's always exceptions when we're talking people

no... I didn't understand it at that point, but I understood that there was more to the world than just one perspective
    I see. So your experiences and perspectives are identical to all N dom and aux childhood experiences and understandings? Out of curiosity, what types are your parents and other family members?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

I'm a bit confused by your post. If adaptability is key, then wouldn't being a P be more beneficial than being a Je?
    ooh that's not funny

seriously though Je's actually do productive things. Ps respond. sure Ps have the advantage in momentary response but i think you could make a good argument for either in terms of being better at coping.

my overall point being that if we're just looking at this in terms of preferences then we're not going to delve straight into the giant pile of poop that discussions about abillity tend to encourage...