User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Default When did the colour "pink" get to be acceptable for males?

I'm thinking about writing my final paper in rhetoric class on the colour "pink" and examining advertisements that reflect how people understand its connotations, and how that's changed.

(For example, I found this insulation company ad reading "just because it's pink doesn't mean it's not tough.") It is from 2002.

For people a little older than I am/with a better memory, can someone explain to me how "pink" was perceived before it became acceptable for males to wear it? What happened? I don't remember what changed, or how it changed.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

The only time I've ever seen the color pink be considered acceptable for males was when they wore dress shirts.

With that said, why has the color of a certain gender's clothing ever mattered anyway?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    The only time I've ever seen the color pink be considered acceptable for males was when they wore dress shirts.

With that said, why do colors vs. gender matter anyway?
    well, in the ad, for example... to sell their product, they assume that pink is weak. it's implied in the "just because it's pink doesn't mean it's not tough." this statement only works if there are assumptions pre-tagged to the colour pink.

does this still exist? pink = weak and not strong? pink = feminine and decidedly not masculine?

i would need more ads to build a case for a paper.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    istp

im by no means an expert on this, but if i had to guess id say pink is instinctively synonymous with vulnerability... inside of the mouth, tongue, labia, unprotected side of the hand, etc. are all pink regardless of race.

perhaps for that reason it became more socially acceptable for females to wear, and through some sort of rebellion from that stigma, began to be worn by "sexually secure" males, ie, males who are out to prove that they are sexually secure... then again, they could just be doing it to join in on the fad, or maybe they just like the color.

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Has anybody hear of this?

Wear pink, stop bullying?
    Christy Clark - The Official Website

MBTI
    ISTx

It's a preppy frat boy counter culture thing.

Don't question it, just understand that it exists.... And be very afraid.

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

during disco days

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

It's interesting how aesthetic culture works; a color arrangment or pattern as an implicit signifer of value.

Curious.

From a biological perspective, I'd imagine conscious color selection played a substantial role in the genetic success of many species - both in survival and reproductive roles.

What is particularly keen is how this ideal has taken on a social consideration, now that our need to naturally camoflage has all but passed.

I wonder what contemporary gestures will become antiquated fancy in generations to come?

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    It's interesting how aesthetic culture works; a color arrangment or pattern as an implicit signifer of value.

Curious.

From a biological perspective, I'd imagine conscious color selection played a substantial role in the genetic success of many species - both in survival and reproductive roles.

What is particularly keen is how this ideal has taken on a social consideration, now that our need to naturally camoflage has all but passed.

I wonder what contemporary gestures will become antiquated fancy in generations to come?
    Yes, Frenchmen used to wear heels, hose and wigs. Egyptian men wore makeup... well so did the Frenchmen.

I've always found it curious that humans are backwards from the rest of the animal kingdom. In it, the males are usually flamboyant to attract females. But, at least in recent centuries, we're doing the opposite. Does it mean something that the human female needs to attract the male? Well, thinking about that, maybe beefcake has taken the place of powder and perfume.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I can't remember if preppy guys wore pink in the eighties, but it seems like they might have. I think I actually commented on it to my grandma, who was born in 1916 and she told me that it was trendy for guys to wear pink and black when she was young, so that'd be . . . 1930-1945-ish?
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers