User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    Zzzz

It's likely as what others have said for when the colour 'pink' became acceptable for males.

I just wonder if colours attributed to both sexes were always the same across all cultures or histories. I don't think so. I read this article from The Times online dated August '07. "We all know that women like pink"(bah) because it's a reminder of our hunter-gatherer days and boys 'prefer' blue. Women would pick red fruit and then pink is a form of it. Pink connotes emotional states. Boys would choose blue.
    While blue was liked universally, this preference stood out among men as it was not balanced by a parallel liking for pink, the study found. This, too, could have deep-seated natural roots: water that appears blue is more likely to be clean, and the colour is also an indicator of fine weather.
    The study which the article was based on involved only British Caucasians and Chinese Asians yet they make it seem conclusive that it translates for all of both sexes-- I don't trust the article once ounce of sweat but people can be easily influenced to believe such things... "At last, science discovers..."!!! Bah. People perpetuate preferences from their conditioned brainwashing as children, for the most part. Stop pink from being a "girly" colour, thrust it onto males and 100 years from now "all" boys might just prefer it over blue (/) and females might all like green ( <---Bah) I know, for myself, I intensly hated the colour pink (or barbies/dolls). I probably influenced my little sis to hate it too. My best/f hated it on her own. I should add, also, that I believe it's when I became aware what pink was associated as being for females. I have physical evidence that I wore pink up to age 4/5 (and with flowers--). But that was my mother's doing. So, once I became aware, I rejcted it (Phew!). I'm somewhat okay with it now, though. Small doses. I cringe if I see females dressed in all pink. Such as on Maternity floors..all in pink, bags, shoes, makeup, all, even their new daughters.. <---even that stupid hanky is pink! Oi vey!

But if they're right about pink connoting emotional states, I'd think it only likely because we've associated it as being so for so long. So, males liking pink now might mean that they've become more "emotionally" accepting. It's becoming acceptable to have emotionally open and aware males. I think that might've been when it became acceptable for males or a big part of it.

Hey, maybe females changed from liking red to pink due to menses? And males disliked red for that reason too!

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

Some posts moved here.

heart on fire

My father always wore pink shirts and PJs, pink was his favorite color.

MBTI
    INFJ

I hate pink. Always did. And Barbie dolls too: I would sew them outfits (my fashion designer side), but I wouldn't ever play with them, they bored me. Anyway, my favourite colors as kid were blue, red and yellow, in that order, and they are still red and blue now - and purple.

I also hate how so many clothes for girls are pink. I'd like to have a little girl one day, but I already hate thinking about how hard it will be to find her cute clothes that are NOT pink. At my son's kindergarten, it's always an Explosion of Pink, whenever I see a group of girls: pink shirts, pink pants, pink skirts, pink dresses, pink nylons, pink socks, pink shoes, pink coats, pink hair stuff, pink, pink, PINK!!! AAAHHH, MAMA, GET ME OUT OF HERE :eek: :horor: !!!!

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    I think the pink-for-women-only thing started ending sometime in the mid-90s, which is when I first noticed the occasional pink shirt and bought my first (and only) actual pink shirt.
    You were a hold out. It started in the mid-80's.. at least here in the cowboy West.... early 80's in the East. Hubby is a maaaan's man and broke down for our wedding... no not tux... jeans and cowboy boots. But... it was white will very thin pink stripes... bought at a Western clothing shop and they had lots of real pink ones.

MBTI
    Zzzz

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering View Post
    Horrific account of PINK
    Somehow my heart broke recalling all that...and I've worked on a Maternity floor for 2-3 years...seeing the future of females already becoming conditioned broke my heart every single time. Seeing always PINK PINK PINK for girls in packages or anything---

If society dissociated elements from being regarded as stritcly female or male, it wouldn't be such a problem (for me).

Oooooh interesting @ Seanan. Cowboy, jeans and boots, oh my!

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Seanan View Post
    You were a hold out. It started in the mid-80's.. at least here in the cowboy West.... early 80's in the East. Hubby is a maaaan's man and broke down for our wedding... no not tux... jeans and cowboy boots. But... it was white will very thin pink stripes... bought at a Western clothing shop and they had lots of real pink ones.
    Since when? I have lived on the Left Coast and in the Cowboy West my entire life. Straight-up pink was never seen before the mid-90s, unless you're shopping where the homosexual men shop, or at a tux shop (which have pink shirts between periods when they're worn otherwise).
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

heart on fire

Since when? I have lived on the Left Coast and in the Cowboy West my entire life. Straight-up pink was never seen before the mid-90s, unless you're shopping where the homosexual men shop, or at a tux shop (which have pink shirts between periods when they're worn otherwise).
    My Dad used to get light pink oxford shirts from Sears all the time way before the 90s. Also pink and white stripes. In TEXAS.

I can't wear pink in any shade. It makes me look sick. I can wear fushia if it has a real blue tone to it though.

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

Since when? I have lived on the Left Coast and in the Cowboy West my entire life. Straight-up pink was never seen before the 90s, unless you're shopping where the homosexual men shop.
    Not.... said he was a man's man... Saba's in Phoenix or Porter's in Scottsdale... saw pinks both places and can't remember which we found the pin-stripe at... the rest were too much pink for him. A good friend who was a rodeo bronc rider til he got busted up too much wore pink then but, as I recall, he shopped at Wild Bill's.... Gilbert I think... been there and there's nothing gay about it.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by DeliriousDisposition View Post
    Somehow my heart broke recalling all that...and I've worked on a Maternity floor for 2-3 years...seeing the future of females already becoming conditioned broke my heart every single time. Seeing always PINK PINK PINK for girls in packages or anything---

If society dissociated elements from being regarded as stritcly female or male, it wouldn't be such a problem (for me).
    Honestly, it's just a color. If a color is breaking your heart I think you might need to toughen up a bit.

When I became a mother I was steadfast that I was NOT going to impose gender stereotypes on my child. I chose greens and yellows over pinks and blues, and we offered her a wide variety of both gender-neutral and specifically "girl" OR "boy" toys. We avoided commercialized or demeaning stuff like Barbie and so forth. For Christmas when she was 2 we got her a giant Tonka truck and a set of natural wood blocks to haul in it. Another relative gave her a Barbie, her first, and it was like watching people fall in love. The Tonka truck became a Barbie transportation device. The wooden blocks made homes for Barbie and her friends. Every girly gift she was given-- tutus, fairy costumes, commercialized princess gear-- was latched onto like it was water in the desert. We ended up having the girliest of girls, despite our attempts to raise her neutrally.

IMO giving little girls dolls and pink and frilly crap is only bad if parents REFUSE to also give them access to the other stuff IF THEY WANT IT. My daughter takes martial arts and basketball and enjoys it all but at her heart she's a girly girl, and I've just had to learn to live with that. I could have forbidden Barbie and gotten rid of the gifts, but what purpose would that serve but to set up an adversarial relationship with a little girl who clearly loved that kind of stuff? (She knows we won't buy Barbie stuff and she knows how I feel about it.)
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii