User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Seanan View Post
    during disco days
    exactly what I was going to say!

I wrote a paper on disco fashion for a history class over the summer

(disco fashion--> punk fashion- music included! )

I know it was popular in the 80s as well
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I was born in 1980. Up until about 3 years ago, pink was a color for girls and signified effeminate qualities. It still is. Think about how manufacturers color-code baby clothing and accessories. Even in the game of Life, as shitty as it is, blue pegs are boys, pink pegs are girls. Check out a website on baby names, for example, and I'm sure they'll be color-coded.

Pink, I would submit, still hasn't lost it's effeminate association. It's just that nowadays, there's been a trend whereby it shows balance, openness, liberalism, and whateveryoulike to embrace one's gender-opposite. A neologism like "metrosexual" is a perfect example of mainstream culture approving gender ambiguity.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by Seanan View Post
    Yes, Frenchmen used to wear heels, hose and wigs. Egyptian men wore makeup... well so did the Frenchmen.

I've always found it curious that humans are backwards from the rest of the animal kingdom. In it, the males are usually flamboyant to attract females. But, at least in recent centuries, we're doing the opposite. Does it mean something that the human female needs to attract the male? Well, thinking about that, maybe beefcake has taken the place of powder and perfume.
    Quite right.

Actively adorning oneself in a creative manner is thought to be a subconscious tick intended to suggest enhanced reproductive possibility.

If we look at the biological aspect of this equation, it is likely that "plumage" is intended to convey healthy physiology - a robust nutritional palette would likely give rise to effervescent physicality.

And, as health and positive reproductive capability are complementary, it would be thusly logical to realize this expression (albeit in a variant "fashion" (forgive the pun)) in our human culture.

We owe much of our present self to our ancestral footprints - not only to our direct ancestors, but to herd mentality, as an ideal.

The belief then in our genetic superiority is likely a flaw in our cognitive awareness; we are more related to the animal kingdom than our present status is likely to consider.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    I was born in 1980. Up until about 3 years ago, pink was a color for girls and signified effeminate qualities. It still is. Think about how manufacturers color-code baby clothing and accessories. Even in the game of Life, as shitty as it is, blue pegs are boys, pink pegs are girls. Check out a website on baby names, for example, and I'm sure they'll be color-coded.

Pink, I would submit, still hasn't lost it's effeminate association. It's just that nowadays, there's been a trend whereby it shows balance, openness, liberalism, and whateveryoulike to embrace one's gender-opposite. A neologism like "metrosexual" is a perfect example of mainstream culture approving gender ambiguity.
    Thank you, Edahn, for helping me to choose a paper topic. I am going to analyze the rhetoric of the game of Life. I think we have the board game! Yay!!

(And great thoughts, too.)
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Edahn still hasn't gotten over his favorite pink flipped-up collar polo being ripped off his body by the other children.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    Edahn still hasn't gotten over his favorite pink flipped-up collar polo being ripped off his body by the other children.
    It was a skirt!

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    The belief then in our genetic superiority is likely a flaw in our cognitive awareness; we are more related to the animal kingdom than our present status is likely to consider.
    Agreed.

Loved the pun.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    It was a skirt!
    With your "athletic" thighs? I don't believe it.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    does this still exist? pink = weak and not strong? pink = feminine and decidedly not masculine?
    Yes, though technically men don't usually wear pink. I wear salmon, though.

I think the pink-for-women-only thing started ending sometime in the mid-90s, which is when I first noticed the occasional pink shirt and bought my first (and only) actual pink shirt.

It also matters on where you wear it:
    Pants - No
    Shoes - No
    Tie - Yes
    Shirt - Yes
    Belt - No
    Coat - Maybe, leaning toward No

There's the possibility that some of us do it to show solidarity and support for women. Pink ribbon campaigns brought pink into general acceptance when designers started marketing clothing that was pink or had pink incorporated into the scheme for men (for instance, RL makes shirts with pink Polo logos, and I believe once (maybe still do?) made pink shirts for the same reason - breast cancer awareness/non-profit donations). Where I work, most of the people are so old and non-trendy that many pick on my salmon shirt because it's too close to pink for their archaic point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I can't remember if preppy guys wore pink in the eighties, but it seems like they might have. I think I actually commented on it to my grandma, who was born in 1916 and she told me that it was trendy for guys to wear pink and black when she was young, so that'd be . . . 1930-1945-ish?
    Styles are cyclic, apparently. Still, it is somewhat surprising to read that it was once acceptable, even in an era of strong gender roles in US history...
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    technically men don't usually wear pink. I wear salmon, though.
    Salmon, coral, rose, mauve...

They're all pink, Nancy
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari