User Tag List

View Poll Results: What is your generation?

Voters
127. You may not vote on this poll
  • Greatest Generation (1901-1924)

1 0.79%
  • Silent Generation of the First Wave (1925-1930)

0 0%
  • Silent Generation of the Second Wave (1931-1939)

0 0%
  • Silent Generation of the Third Wave (1937-1942)

0 0%
  • BOOM Generation of the First Wave (1943-1946)

1 0.79%
  • BOOM Generation of the Second Wave (1947-1950)

0 0%
  • BOOM Generaton of the Third Wave (1951-1954)

0 0%
  • BOOM Generation of the Fourth Wave (1955-1958)

2 1.57%
  • BOOM Generation of the Fifth Wave (1959-1960)

0 0%
  • Generation X of the First Wave (1961-1964)

0 0%
  • Generation X of the Second Wave (1965-1968)

7 5.51%
  • Generation X of the Third Wave (1969-1972)

9 7.09%
  • Generation X of the Fourth Wave (1973-1976)

2 1.57%
  • Generation X of the Fifth Wave (1977-1981)

22 17.32%
  • Generation Y of the First Wave (1982-1985)

22 17.32%
  • Generation Y of the Second Wave (1986-1989)

31 24.41%
  • Generation Y of the Third Wave (1990-1993)

27 21.26%
  • Generation Y of the Fourth Wave (1994-1997)

0 0%
  • Generation Y of the Fifth Wave (1998-2000)

1 0.79%
  • Generation Z (2001 and after)

2 1.57%
First 56789 Last

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Gen Y, second wave.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Do any of the rest of you have trouble relating to your generation's stereotype?

About the only thing about my generation that I relate to, is that it feels like I'm having trouble becoming an adult and finding a job. However, I don't feel like I should get things just for participating, or like I'm demanding more out of my job, or anything like that.

Also, while I do use computers, and enjoy hacking around with them, I'm not really comfortable with cell phones (other than just emergency TracFones) or being expected to use the Internet and technology as a serious part of my real life, to do things like pay bills, purchase essentials, or search for jobs. I would rather do those things in real life, as they are "real" things, but it's becoming harder to do them in real life. My natural inclination is to regard the Internet as being for research or chatting about geeky subjects, and as an amusing distraction, so it's hard for me to stay serious and focused when I'm in front of a computer.

I seem to have maintained a mental split between the Internet and the real world that doesn't exist among most members of my generation, but that my mother definitely shares.
    I can very well relate to what you say. I rather pay a bill in the bank than do it via the Internet.
    I am not good in random numbers. They do not make sense to me.
    Nowadays everyone has to be a bank clark, and an efficient official. This is what the world has come to.
    It was better in the baby booming days of the 60s and the 70s. The boomers had not yet achieved a position of influence. It was still their parents' world. Intact, safe and sound.
    The boomers were an odious generation.
    They flocked. They were not individualistic.
    Che Guevara stared at you in everyone's lavatory.
    A smirky smile, a fat cigar and a berret. The Big Brother. The leader of the flock.

Generation X of the Fifth Wave (1977-1981) BOH!!!

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Generation Y, second wave.

Instigator, First Class LovelyAngel's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by PuddleRiver View Post
    Boom Generation of the 4th!!

I'm the oldest...boo.

I still own my original Nintendo..and the Atari 2600. The controllers need a little work, though.
    I, too, am Boom Generation of the 4th... and we're not the oldest because someone answered the poll with a Boom Generation of the 1st. Still... it seems like we are surrounded by children!

I have a box of unpunched punch cards.
    "There is always something to do. There are hungry people to feed, naked people to clothe, sick people to comfort and make well. And while I don't expect you to save the world I do think it's not asking too much for you to love those with whom you sleep, share the happiness of those whom you call friend, engage those among you who are visionary and remove from your life those who offer you depression, despair and disrespect."
    -- Nikki Giovanni

MBTI
    INtP

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    I saw Star Wars in the theater.

First "real" (non-Disney cartoon) movie I ever saw in a theatre -- I would have been something like six. We showed up really early to avoid lines, and the theatre people let us go in and watch the end of it once and then the whole next showing. It was quite the huge deal -- much more so than movie releases are these days.

Gen X, 3rd wave.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Generation X fifth wave.

But, missed Gen Y by only two months so I feel kinda stuck between the two.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ni

Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post
    I've said this to my friends before, but I am *so so glad* that when I was attending college - 1996-2000 -- that I was at the tail end of the College Experience prior to the true onslaught of cell phones and the internet.

Now in 96-97, we had basic university email accts, but most people hadn't bothered setting up personal email accts. Also, while internet researching /booking things online had begun by 98-99, it really wasn't big, nor did people really utilize it to write/research for papers. Basically you didn't NEED to use computers at all as part of the coursework - which I found totally awesome. Nor did most people really do anything on the internet to speak of, prior to maybe 99. (I mean, some did, but again, even that % of time on it was minimal)

As for cell phones, I don't remember really noticing them until my senior year - and even then, there were only a small minority who were actually using them.

So this meant while walking around campus, or while waiting for class to begin, or while hanging out in the dorms, no one was texting, no one was on the phone, no one was really surfing the net. Most people were actually engaged in the people around them. It was *awesome*. I'm so thankful I didn't go to college post-2000. Would have been a much different experience.

(Of course when I was in high school - 1992-1996 - there was NO internet stuff, let alone cell phones/etc)
    Oh gosh I remember these years! lol. It really WAS a different era.

I have a tendency to lag behind in technology, and on purpose, because of this. I had a PDA for a while but that thing drove me nuts. It felt like a tether, like people always needed to know what I was doing and how I was doing it, when I was doing it.. if I didn't answer, people got offended. I don't use a cell phone nowadays. matter of fact, I hopped out my car to use a payphone last night and people literally were like "wtf you're using a payphone?!?!".

I was surprised to even see one, and it was actually WORKING.

MBTI
    yupp

I don't know if i'd believe if someone selected greatest generation, I suppose there could be someone in their 90s posting but some how I doubt that.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Che Guevara stared at you in everyone's lavatory.
    I never got the "Che" thing either.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft