User Tag List

View Poll Results: What is your generation?

Voters
127. You may not vote on this poll
  • Greatest Generation (1901-1924)

1 0.79%
  • Silent Generation of the First Wave (1925-1930)

0 0%
  • Silent Generation of the Second Wave (1931-1939)

0 0%
  • Silent Generation of the Third Wave (1937-1942)

0 0%
  • BOOM Generation of the First Wave (1943-1946)

1 0.79%
  • BOOM Generation of the Second Wave (1947-1950)

0 0%
  • BOOM Generaton of the Third Wave (1951-1954)

0 0%
  • BOOM Generation of the Fourth Wave (1955-1958)

2 1.57%
  • BOOM Generation of the Fifth Wave (1959-1960)

0 0%
  • Generation X of the First Wave (1961-1964)

0 0%
  • Generation X of the Second Wave (1965-1968)

7 5.51%
  • Generation X of the Third Wave (1969-1972)

9 7.09%
  • Generation X of the Fourth Wave (1973-1976)

2 1.57%
  • Generation X of the Fifth Wave (1977-1981)

22 17.32%
  • Generation Y of the First Wave (1982-1985)

22 17.32%
  • Generation Y of the Second Wave (1986-1989)

31 24.41%
  • Generation Y of the Third Wave (1990-1993)

27 21.26%
  • Generation Y of the Fourth Wave (1994-1997)

0 0%
  • Generation Y of the Fifth Wave (1998-2000)

1 0.79%
  • Generation Z (2001 and after)

2 1.57%
First 1234513 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by tinker683 View Post
    HELL YES! I remember all of these things as well. Fahq, I was obsessed with TMNT and the original Nintendo...
    Gen Y, first wave!
    I remember when TMNT was a comic book, and one of its competitors was called, "Adolescent Radioactive Blackbelt Hamsters."

Just... wow.

When I was in college, we basically had Tandy 1000s and were just starting to upgrade to IBM compatibles. I remember buying early Sierra computer games to play in the computer center (all nighters, during finals week... wheeee!) The dot matrix printer was the norm. And I often spent weekends on IRC, which was a kind of precursor to the Internet. (Private dial-up BBSs were also getting big.) ... and then, a few years later, came the two-headed monster called AOL.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Y, first wave. Old enough to remember when most people didn't have a computer, when Internet access was rare, when there was only the regular Nintendo, when there still was a Soviet Union (especially since my parents visited), when the original TMNT swept across America, when the only cartoon on Nickelodeon was "David the Gnome," and the programming dominated anything that came before, or since; when getting cable was a big deal itself, when you listened to tape players in the car, and CDs were just beginning to make themselves known, when elementary school began with slap bracelets and ended with POGs, when George Bush was president and we were at war with Iraq, the first time... I could go on for hours
    Wow, the original Nintendo was quite far back... my first gaming was with the Sega Genesis.
    Weird thing is, I was born around the time when the Soviet Union ended, but the map I studied when I was a kid was from 1986, so I was pretty surprised to find out around 1997 that this "Russia" place is actually the same place.
    I remember the pogs, but never really understood what they were or what the point was. It was some weird older kid thing =P

Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post
    I've said this to my friends before, but I am *so so glad* that when I was attending college - 1996-2000 -- that I was at the tail end of the College Experience prior to the true onslaught of cell phones and the internet.

So this meant while walking around campus, or while waiting for class to begin, or while hanging out in the dorms, no one was texting, no one was on the phone, no one was really surfing the net. Most people were actually engaged in the people around them. It was *awesome*. I'm so thankful I didn't go to college post-2000. Would have been a much different experience.
    Yeah, sometimes I think it would've been cool if I could've finished my schooling back in that era.

I know the cell phones have kind of been around for a while, but it's a way different deal now with the 2001-2008 explosion of cell phone users. I understand the huge convenience of having a portable way to keep contact, but not the 2008-present phenomenon of the cell phone being like another part of the body and the constant texting of people even when other methods of real contact would be so much simpler.

Cell phones with 20 lb. batteries and personal computers with 8" floppy discs!

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    Cell phones with 20 lb. batteries and personal computers with 8" floppy discs!
    Yup. Did you see the floppies (about twice that big) used in mainframe drives?

And then of course we get computers running off cassette tapes like what they sell in Radio Shack. Wow.

I don't think I had a VCR or microwave until I was in high school.

Quote Originally Posted by LunaLuminosity
    Wow, the original Nintendo was quite far back... my first gaming was with the Sega Genesis.
    Weird thing is, I was born around the time when the Soviet Union ended, but the map I studied when I was a kid was from 1986, so I was pretty surprised to find out around 1997 that this "Russia" place is actually the same place.
    I remember the pogs, but never really understood what they were or what the point was. It was some weird older kid thing =P
    My first gaming systems including a dedicated Pong console + an Atari ("Asteroids" and "Missile Command"!)

I remember when the Wall came down. I was in college. It was like, "Wth?" All my life we had been in a cold war with no end in sight, and afraid of nuclear war, and suddenly out of the blue (it seemed) they were tearing down the Berlin Wall.

POGs. Yeah. Don't ask me wth that was about, but it led to CCG's.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

LOL, I was just introduced to the concept of the flash drive a little over a year ago. I was asked about how I plan to transfer my documents, and I was like "I'll see about getting a floppy disc this afternoon, but where is the floppy drive on this computer?" The look was like

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by LunaLuminosity View Post
    LOL, I was just introduced to the concept of the flash drive a little over a year ago. I was asked about how I plan to transfer my documents, and I was like "I'll see about getting a floppy disc this afternoon, but where is the floppy drive on this computer?" The look was like
    Flash drives rock.

ZIP drives were pretty cool, but once Flash drives came out, that was it for the poor li'l Zip drive.

MBTI
    INTP

Highlight of technological confusion came when a professor of mine made it clear on the first day of class that all presentations were to be supplied through e-mail or via flash drive. He then went on to describe the aged DVD as stone age technology, before getting off the syllabus and into the topic of the day. I think it was contemporary methods in endocrinology. I then went home and decided not to continue burning movies from my hard drive onto DVDs. This decision did not last forever, but the lecture left a lasting impression, as I had always considered myself well ahead of the curve.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Yup. Did you see the floppies (about twice that big) used in mainframe drives?
    No, didn't know that floppies came any larger than the 8" ones that were actually used for mini rather than personal computers. I vaguely recall something like film in tin cannisters for mainframes.

And then of course we get computers running off cassette tapes like what they sell in Radio Shack. Wow.
    This too sounds familiar although it's also vague.
    I don't think I had a VCR or microwave until I was in high school.
    Do you recall Betamax vs. VHS? As for microwaves, my parents refused to get one until as adults, we all pitched in and bought them one. Now they can't live with one.

Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Litvyak View Post
    What makes them the greatest? Hmph.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Gavroche View Post
    You're soooo 20th century...