User Tag List

View Poll Results: What is your generation?

Voters
127. You may not vote on this poll
  • Greatest Generation (1901-1924)

1 0.79%
  • Silent Generation of the First Wave (1925-1930)

0 0%
  • Silent Generation of the Second Wave (1931-1939)

0 0%
  • Silent Generation of the Third Wave (1937-1942)

0 0%
  • BOOM Generation of the First Wave (1943-1946)

1 0.79%
  • BOOM Generation of the Second Wave (1947-1950)

0 0%
  • BOOM Generaton of the Third Wave (1951-1954)

0 0%
  • BOOM Generation of the Fourth Wave (1955-1958)

2 1.57%
  • BOOM Generation of the Fifth Wave (1959-1960)

0 0%
  • Generation X of the First Wave (1961-1964)

0 0%
  • Generation X of the Second Wave (1965-1968)

7 5.51%
  • Generation X of the Third Wave (1969-1972)

9 7.09%
  • Generation X of the Fourth Wave (1973-1976)

2 1.57%
  • Generation X of the Fifth Wave (1977-1981)

22 17.32%
  • Generation Y of the First Wave (1982-1985)

22 17.32%
  • Generation Y of the Second Wave (1986-1989)

31 24.41%
  • Generation Y of the Third Wave (1990-1993)

27 21.26%
  • Generation Y of the Fourth Wave (1994-1997)

0 0%
  • Generation Y of the Fifth Wave (1998-2000)

1 0.79%
  • Generation Z (2001 and after)

2 1.57%
First 51314151617 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    You were immune, being a child.
    If I had to weigh in on the whole Che thing (I consider myself immune), it was an historic battle between tragic underdog and harsh reality. And like the well-intentioned fallen before him, he too will have a special punishment set before him. Like Prometheus, he defies the gods and is eternally cursed for his transgressions. Hot Topics around the world sustain the suffering, printing the face over, and over, and over again. Millions upon millions of angsty children will spend their parents money on his likeness, and the sweat of orphans in dinky shops flows freely. Not quite as bad as having the liver eaten every day, but still, I feel quite bad for him.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    If I had to weigh in on the whole Che thing (I consider myself immune), it was an historic battle between tragic underdog and harsh reality. And like the well-intentioned fallen before him, he too will have a special punishment set before him. Like Prometheus, he defies the gods and is eternally cursed for his transgressions. Hot Topics around the world sustain the suffering, printing the face over, and over, and over again. Millions upon millions of angsty children will spend their parents money on his likeness, and the sweat of orphans in dinky shops flows freely. Not quite as bad as having the liver eaten every day, but still, I feel quite bad for him.
    So unfortunate.
    Che was a creation of KGB.
    A myth.

Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    It's funny that GenX 1st wave starts at 1961 because my mom's sisters were born in that generation & they definitely have a different "vibe". They sort of lived the 80s as young single people, and my mom was already married & a parent & seemed "older" by then.
    My parents are from that wave also, born in 1963 and 1964 and they are very different from late boomers born between 1955 and 1960. Part of this come from the fact that their situations toward sex and employement during their late teens - early twentys were dramatically diferent. My father said to me that he remember when he was 16 and AIDS started to rise. Plus Xers of the first wave turned 18 after the 1979 energy crisis and so became young adult when the period of economic prosperity was behind them while late boomer are old enough to have benefited for several years of the "Golden Age of Sex" (1970s) and of favorable economic situations that early Xers did'nt know or barely. There's really a break here.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

Gen Y, 2nd wave

I have a friend from 1982 and from 1992 i dont see difference in our
    generations

MBTI
    esTJ
    Enneagram
    875 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESTx

Quote Originally Posted by Petra Pan View Post
    I have a friend from 1982 and from 1992 i dont see difference in our
    generations
    That's fascinating! I am GenX. 5th wave, and my roommate is Gen Y, Second wave, and I see a ton of differences even though it's only eight years. Though one of my good friends is only a couple of years older than him. I guess it depends on the individual.
    Murphy Brown: What is it with us? Why can't we take the easy road once in awhile?
    Avery Brown: Because it's boring and dishonest and uncomfortable, like wearing a pair of shoes all day that pinch your feet.

approx 55% ES, 90% TJ

Gen Y, 1st wave.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    X, fifth (and last) wave.

This actually explains why I neither identify with X (I was a bit too late) not with Y (I was too early).
    I hears that!

Patron Saint Of Smileys Gloriana's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    INFJ

I'm on the ass-end of Generation X too, fifth wave. I don't often feel myself relating to Generation X or Y either.

My brother is nine years older and he identifies as Gen-X. He fondly remembers the experiences of Rubix cubes, Commodore 64, boom boxes, break dancing on flattened cardboard boxes, hair metal, Reagan, etc in the 80s. While I remember these things, I was so young that it doesn't seem to apply to me. I sometimes latch on to these things because I remember so vividly and I talk about it, but it doesn't feel like it's part of my coming of age experience .

But I talk to those who identify primarily as Gen-Y and they talk about growing up watching 'All That' on Nickelodeon, having a SNES as their first gaming system, dial-up internet, beepers, etc. Again, I remember these things but they sort of came up after I felt I had matured or what have you.

It almost feels like a handful of years got lost in transition somewhere and those of us born in those years wind up vaguely latching on to the popular nostalgia of the generations before or after. I suppose we have Grunge rock to ourselves? The whole "Where were you when you found out Kurt Cobain died?" thing.

Oh, and we'll always have the O.J. Simpson trial. Yay.

My mom is a boomer who came up in the 60s and I swear to god her and her friends that came up in the same time are like perpetual teenagers or something. My mom is in her 60s but she plays video games more than I do and now she's all up in watching tons of Science Fiction shows. Her friends are similar, I sort of think her generation will never stop 'being young' if that makes sense (I'm not saying this is a bad thing).

I don't know if it's across the board, but I also find that people my own age with boomer parents tend to have parents that were pretty laissez-faire about parenting. A bunch of free love hippies that taught us to talk, walk, eat, and go to the bathroom ourselves and after that they were like "Be free! Do what you like!", haha. Like our moms and dads basically just toted us all along on whatever journey they were on at the time and didn't even think to plan on bringing snacks or any of that. Nothing near the over-parenting that takes place these days at any rate.

Love this thread btw!
    "Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get, but if you work really hard, and you're kind, amazing things will happen. I'm telling you...amazing things will happen" --Conan O'Brien

L'anima non dimora Donna Cecilia's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    LII

Generation Y of the First Wave.

"An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise."
    Victor Hugo

LII/INTj (Analyst) - 1w9 Sp/Sx - RC|O|EI - Melancholy/Choleric