User Tag List

First 8910111220 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    INTp

I am a cat lady and therefore unamused by your hate.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    INTp

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Does anyone else ever wonder how Catdog goes to the bathroom? I feel like he should have died from septic shock long ago.
    ROFL I always thought the same thing.

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Redbone View Post

Wasn't this on PBS's Arthur?
    Perhaps, but it also quite possible. My sister's two kittens have learned to use the toilet. It's best to catch them early.

Why the Internet Chose Cats

excerpt:
    It is widely-known that some people are ‘dog people’ and others are ‘cat people’. In fact, in mainstream romantic comedies, whether or not someone is a ‘dog person’ is often central to the evolving relationship. Countless films exist in which someone’s status as a ‘dog person’ or ‘not a dog person’ acts as the primary or major secondary plot conflict.

In early 2010, specific research was conducted by a University of Texas at Austin that found almost 42 percent of Americans self-identify as ‘dog people’ versus only 12 percent who reported they are ‘cat people’. About 28 percent said ‘both’ and 15 percent said ‘neither’. Which means that according to this dude’s research, more people dislike both types of furry housepets than express a distinct cat preference.

Yet the internet widely prefers cats. Some of the most popular Internet memes are related to cats. [....]

Popular themes for internet cat pictures suggest that the cat is perplexed by his/her environment; the cat is demanding of something in a regal fashion [cats may often be implied to be ‘overlords’ or ruling-class characters from science-fiction movies]; the cat is excited to have succeeded at something while remaining oblivious to the practicality of his/her accomplishment; the cat has instructed someone, presumably the viewer, to explain a set of circumstances to it.

Images of dogs are much, much rarer, and are certainly not as widely celebrated. The few well-known dog memes portray the dog as a ridiculous character, often the victim of the cat; popular themes for widely-circulated dog photographs include mocking the dog for not enjoying a plate of vegetables, mocking the dog for making an unusual expression implied to be fear, confusion or strong distaste, or otherwise general amusement at the expense of the dog’s ‘dignity’.

Given the overwhelming preference for dogs apparent in mainstream entertainment media and in statistical analysis among Americans, the cat’s election as unofficial ‘mascot of the Internet’ is a phenomenon worth noting. Certainly, some of this can be explained by facts such as ‘internet culture pioneers are not representative of the norm’; ‘the internet is a haven for subcultures to express preferences less welcome in mainstream society’; and ‘people who are dog people are probably doing things like throwing a Frisbee outside, painting a fence in suburbia, driving to a relevant chain restaurant or giving birth to children in a hospital setting , not going online creating Tumblrs.’

But the University of Texas at Austin’s research focused expressly on specific personality traits that may be common to one type of pet loyalist versus the other. It aimed to examine, in its own words, the “widely held cultural belief that the pet species—dog or cat—with which a person has the strongest affinity says something about the individual’s personality,” according to the head researcher on the project.

The research found that “Dog people were generally about 15 percent more extraverted, 13 percent more agreeable and 11 percent more conscientious than cat people” and “Cat people were generally about 12 percent more neurotic and 11 percent more open than dog people”.
    Last edited by Vasilisa; 02-26-2011 at 01:36 PM.
    the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project

Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post
    Well I wasn't going to say it.. But It makes sense that introverts would generally prefer cats.. I mentioned the extroverted and social nature of dogs and the solitary nature of cats earlier hoping someone else would.

It would make sense that people would be more attracted to animals that are likely to share a more compatible level of needing each others attention and activity.

Also a Dog will love almost anyone... Cats.. you have to earn their trust.. It's a cooler bond once formed.. which seems like a more introverted connection, than dutiful and loyal doggy.. bless them ..

Another awesome member. Curator's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNFP
    Enneagram

I dunno, generally cats are less needy, but Ive met some incredibly needy cats... when I was living in tennesee with my brother for a few months, his wife's cat (who btw hated everyone in the house) Loved me in the most obsessive/possessive way possible... this cat would get pissed off if anybody showed any affection to me, or I to them, then would jump up and cuddle with me, when I was gone at work, she would spend most of her free time in my room, cuddling in my bed, then would NOT let me go to sleep when I got home till I pet her for awhile, she would run up behind me while I was walking, grab ahold of my leg gently, and meow... if I ignored her she would slide her claws out a little and meow again... if I kept ignoring her, she would draw a little blood,lol... damn needy cat,hahaha... (I worked nights) so I would come home, pet her for awhile, then fall asleep, and she would usually just cuddle up next to me and go to sleep too... she got super depressed and angry and fat when I moved back to california...If I had known my brother was so heartless, I would have found some way to bring her with me...

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Once a cat makes a human connection it can be quite needy for affection and attention.. But so can you and I.. be honest now..
    See? Introverts need love and affection too.. so do cats. =^..^=

Another awesome member. Curator's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNFP
    Enneagram

hehehehehe, yeah Im SUPER affectionate, ive been known to tackle snuggle a person or two... although my claws never come out, except against those that seriously bother me,lol.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
    Well I wasn't going to say it.. But It makes sense that introverts would generally prefer cats..
    I think it's not enough if you relate that to only introverts once again. The sole thing that you have to go out with dogs and that you have to command them does require you to be a different person. I am an extrovert but I dont really like to be so dependant and walk a dog 5 times a day, tho I'ld possibly do it for my gf. What I totally not like tho would be commanding it around, yet a fair amount of commanding you'ld need to do if you dont want to pee the dog in your favourite couch.

Dont think this once again a matter of I/E only
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

The research found that “Dog people were generally about 15 percent more extraverted, 13 percent more agreeable and 11 percent more conscientious than cat people” and “Cat people were generally about 12 percent more neurotic and 11 percent more open than dog people”.

This seems to be referring to the Big 5/Sloan test. Agreeable is generally correlated to Feeling in MBTI, conscientious to Judging, and Open to iNtuitive. Neurotic has no correlation. I suppose this puts ESFJs as the ultimate dog people and neurotic INTPs as the ultimate cat people .

Casual observation has led me to believe that INFx types tend to have a special affinity for cats. I think the demeanor of a cat just feels familiar to INFxs....I "relate" more to cats than dogs anyway.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe