123 Last

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Default How Would You Run You Own Web Forum?

What rules would you put in place?

How would you manage it?

What would the forum be about?

For me, first thing I would do is have no rules whatsoever in my forum; all deicisions on behavior are decided by the king of the website. I would be the king of the website, having control over every other member and post. In addition, I would have some very trusted members become semi-kings, who have similar power to me, but I'm still the strongest.

We would decide on things as they come, jusging carefully what's a troll post, what's a spam post, or what's a flame post as we see it. We would also keep tally and record of what members say what, so that we have an idea of how offensive their posts are. Also in order to join the site you must submit an essay (a short one) concerning something about the site. And if your suspended or banned, you may submit an apology essay any time later in the future and be un-banned if you proved your behavior is better.

The site would be about either Magic the Gathering and other related activities, or a typology site that branches off into various other forms of psycho-analytical personality stuff from various other sources (Like MBTI, JCF, the MtG colors, and D&D alignment comparisons).

garbage

I've run several. The basic rule was always "don't be a dick to each other and we'll be alright." I always, always had a feedback forum and allowed the userbase to help determine how the site should be run.

Your idea of a forum sounds like one that few would bother to join initially. I'm sorry, but if it requires a letter to get in, there probably won't be too many other people to interact with--so what's the incentive to join? On the contrary, you'd have to make a case to me as to why I should write a letter to get in--you'd need to sell me on what makes your forum special. You'd want to build a userbase, then institute requirements like a letter or payment if you deem them necessary.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

True, a letter to get into the site would probably be better suited for something like a hard-core philosophy forum. But even beyond that, it would keep lazy trolls away, or some at the very least.

I think people would be driven away from a forum like that pretty quickly. There's no oversight and no rule to cite when disciplining a member. Look at the grief the people running this site take when people are disciplined, and they HAVE explicit rules on their side.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INFP

That's the worst idea I've ever heard in my life, Tom.

Yes, this is horrible, this idea.

Savage Idealist, how much time do you have? There are only 24 hours in a day on Earth.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    ???
    Socionics
    ????

I controlled a few forums already in the past, though all besides one were small clan forums, and the one exception was a forum about Hardware (used to be decent in size, though smaller than this forum here still) where I took over Administration one time, so I didn't built it up myself, and in some things followed old traditions.

As the OP says, I did never build up a rule catalogue besides the obligatoric things you find everywhere. Punishment for behaviour where it is self-explanatory that the behavior is wrong, like insulting others, spamming, using inappropriate content etc.; I think people know very well when they behave wrong even without a rule catalogue, and there was never bad discussion about decisions when they are well explained (and I always explained them well), and even if there is discussion about it, they would have to accept my decision when they don't accept my reasoning, but as I say, people never found flaws in reasoning, they only would have maybe another opinion when they were the one who got the punishment. I had a few additional moderators which could be trusted and which don't take punishment decisions without permission first, but they usually would take the same decisions anyway as I would choose.

Punishment was in smallest cases just an informal warning that they should stop, for everything else there was a warning point system. 1 point for normal cases, 2 for bigger cases, and real bad cases take a permanent ban. If you get 3 points you also get a permanent ban. Points don't disappear, but if they are longer time back it is taken into consideration in judging. People who just registered and where you see immediately they come to troll or spam or make advertisement get direct ban, because you know they didn't come for good so you don't have to waste time on it. Atmosphere in that forum was quite good back then and there was few cases where you had to punish people at all, not much trolling.

If I would make now a forum... well, there is different topics it could be about. Mainly thought in past about something like a general forum where you could talk about several things in life with a few main themes, in some ways similar to this forum here besides the typology stuff (which I didn't know back then), would be great and I considered making one at one time (though back then I thought about a German forum), but since I found this forum here I don't have those plans anymore.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I'd have the forum structured in a way to make it easily navigated and searchable.

Moderation would be at a reasonable level. I do think its one of those "necessary evils" to prevent trolls and spammers from contaminating the forum's content.

The policy on infractions and bans would be more clear-cut. I would be for a point system- with more severe offenses worth more points. Ban lengths would depend on point values. If the offense was severe enough, the point value would be high enough to put it in the perma-banned category.

I wouldn't require an essay or anything of the sort to join. Just a valid email address. I don't even require you give me your real name or date of birth. I respect anonymity.

There wouldn't be limits on name changes. No more having to have 500 posts or some other arbitrary number to change your username. Of course this doesn't mean people have the right to abuse the privilege and change their name every few days. I do think that if you are truly tired of your username or feel like you don't feel anonymous enough with your current one, you should be allowed to change it without much red tape. I would be in favor though, of requiring that people also post their previous username somewhere in the sig for a designated amount of time. I do think the limit on 2 times for username changes is a bit harsh- especially for members who have been here for several years and have thousands of posts.

Forum members should also be allowed to delete their own threads and posts at will, anytime. After all, it is their own intellectual property. Sometimes people have valid personal reasons for wanting to delete content such as privacy concerns or realizing much later that what they posted was kind of embarrasing or inaccurate or whatever. I think that people should try to give a reason if at all possible as to why the content was removed should people wonder.

Anyone who wants a custom user title should be able to have one. No waiting until 500 posts.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    Savage Idealist, how much time do you have? There are only 24 hours in a day on Earth.
    Hey, Jen... Running a website is serious business. On a universal scale! (So, see, as long we're not on earth, a day has as many hours as we like!)

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    Anyone who wants a custom user title should be able to have one. No waiting until 500 posts.
    So would you have any participation incentives at all? And if so, what?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    So would you have any participation incentives at all? And if so, what?
    I don't have a strong opinion on this one, but I'd hope that the structure of the forum and the discussion itself incentivizes participation well enough. I can see having a "500 posts for a custom user title" rule, but only until the forum's active enough that the rule can be dropped.