User Tag List

View Poll Results: How do you feel about dogs?

Voters
108. You may not vote on this poll
  • I don't like dogs.

    16 14.81%
  • I can tolerate dogs.

    22 20.37%
  • I like dogs.

    70 64.81%
First 3456715 Last

Results 41 to 50 of 188

  1. #41
    Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,312

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Different breeds also behave differently with regard to barking, destroying things, drooling, etc.
    ^This. There is A LOT of difference depending upon breed.

    I wouldn't ever go for a breed like a Golden Retriever or a Labrador for myself. They're very active dogs, and if you don't get them enough exercise they can get hyper and destructive. I just can't meet the needs that a large, active breed like that requires. My previous dog was a rescue from an abused animal shelter. Thats always a risky place to get dogs, because their behavior is unpredictable due to their previous owner. She was a really shy/wary thing at first, but when she learned to trust me she was the most docile, gentle, affectionate dog in the world. But for some reason she freaked out if men wearing hats got close to me. She got very protective, would growl and bark. If the guy took off his hat she was fine again and would get all affectionate. I'm guessing her abuser was a male who wore a hat all the time?
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

    ~

  2. #42
    Senior Member INTP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx
    Posts
    7,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    ^This. There is A LOT of difference depending upon breed.

    I wouldn't ever go for a breed like a Golden Retriever or a Labrador for myself. They're very active dogs, and if you don't get them enough exercise they can get hyper and destructive.
    weird, my cousin used to have a golden retriever and he was pretty much the calmest dog i have ever seen, also quite lazy and very intelligent.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

    Read

  3. #43
    Protocol Droid Athenian200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    8,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle99 View Post
    I'm not saying for sure people feel that way... I don't. I'm just saying you should try to look at things from the other perspective, and try to be a bit more understanding. An again, I, as an avid dog person, would not be offended if someone politely refused an invitation due to my dog; but perhaps your friends are less compassionate people than I am.
    Hehe. Actually, all the people I'm talking about are family members. That's why it's an issue... I would probably just try to be friends with more understanding people, if they were just friends.
    Like I said, it makes me quite (physically) uncomfortable to visit a house where cats live (even if the cats are locked away, because their dander is still around) because of my allergy, but I don't think the cats' owners are being disrespectful or rude to me by inviting me over. If I had that much of a problem with it, I would simply ask politely if they could come to my place instead, or if we could go to a coffee shop or something. Usually, though, I just tolerate the temporary discomfort.
    An allergy isn't quite the same thing, though... it's not like you're afraid of the cat or the dander, after all. It's also not like the cat is going to violate your personal boundaries in a way that makes you panic, kick it really hard, and anger the owner enough to get thrown out of their house anyway. If anything, I'm refusing to come in because I know I won't be able to control my self-preservation tendencies very well if that dog comes at me, and I don't have any place to run... and that I might very hurt it and get sued. I just feel threatened by them, and don't trust them the way normal people do. I react to them the way a lot of people would react to an animal that wasn't domesticated.

    I actually will do what you said, endure the discomfort, if it's a fairly small dog (they still make me uncomfortable, but not threatened). I absolutely can't do it with larger dogs, though.

  4. #44
    Starcrossed Seafarer Aquarelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    3,532

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Hehe. Actually, all the people I'm talking about are family members. That's why it's an issue... I would probably just try to be friends with more understanding people, if they were just friends.
    Haha.... well yes, family can complicate things!!

    An allergy isn't quite the same thing, though... it's not like you're afraid of the cat or the dander, after all. It's also not like the cat is going to violate your personal boundaries in a way that makes you panic, kick it really hard, and anger the owner enough to get thrown out of their house anyway. If anything, I'm refusing to come in because I know I won't be able to control my self-preservation tendencies very well if that dog comes at me, and I don't have any place to run... and that I might very hurt it and get sued. I just feel threatened by them, and don't trust them the way normal people do. I react to them the way a lot of people would react to an animal that wasn't domesticated.

    I actually will do what you said, endure the discomfort, if it's a fairly small dog (they still make me uncomfortable, but not threatened). I absolutely can't do it with larger dogs, though.
    No, an allergy's not the same, although actually (this is going to sound silly, but it's true), I am a bit afraid of cats. I was attacked by one once! I've mainly gotten over it now, but for awhile I was pretty apprehensive around cats. But yeah, if you are that afraid of dogs, your friends (and family!!) should respect that. I understand if they don't want to lock the dogs away, but they should be respectful of your feeling towards dogs. Just like some (not all) dogs misbehave, some (not all) dog owners misbehave as well.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

    My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

  5. #45
    Senior Member Beargryllz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    2,739

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    weird, my cousin used to have a golden retriever and he was pretty much the calmest dog i have ever seen, also quite lazy and very intelligent.
    Yeah, golden retrievers are pretty much the chillest animal

  6. #46
    nee andante bechimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    8,028

    Default

    Golden retrievers are great dogs but most aren't known for their intelligence, at least compared to Sheps and Border Collies.

  7. #47
    Senior Member ScorpioINTP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    6-5
    Posts
    347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    No, I love cats as much as I hate dogs. It's just dogs that I have an issue with. Cats generally respect boundaries, won't approach you unexpectedly or suddenly before you have a chance to notice their presence.
    I disagree. I liked cats at one time, but they have proven to be unpredictable and sneaky. One minute they want to play and the next they bite or scratch you. I am also allergic to most of them. The are always jumping up on the back of your chair and scaring the crap out of you. Animals in general like me, so cats come sit on my lap whether or not I want them to, unless they are the kind that are super afraid of guests and hide under a bed. A dog can't really sneak up you.

    I love dogs. I really love my dogs. They are clean, don't bark, don't drool, don't smell (in fact my beagle actually smells good and almost never has to be bathed, because she is constantly cleaning herself) and are super friendly. They are super adorable and love people. Never a threat to anyone. Isn't it a fact that a dogs mouth is cleaner than a humans? I think I ever read that dogs saliva can kill bacteria on your feet. They add a lot of joy to my life and others. Not all dogs are the same.

    That said, certain dogs are obnoxious, and that is often probably a result of their owners treatment. Different breeds matter too. I have a neighbor who's dog runs free, when it is not locked up on the porch barking all day for no reason. It annoys everyone on the block and he apparently bit a neighbor. He is obviously neglected. I used to feel the same way about dog smell, but I agree with whoever said that it is probably because the owners are dirty and have a dirty house. We keep our house and dogs clean.

    Sure they require work and commitment, but it is worth it. I waited a long long time to have a dog, because I had other priorities and did not want to commit to the time to train them, take them out and give them the love and attention they needed. I didn't want to have to worry about being home all the time to take them out or not be able to have a yard to leave them in. Now I look forward to spending as much time with them as I can. I think people who do have dogs, who do not give them the proper treatment and attention, should not have dogs.
    Type 6w5 sp/so/sx I think..I have not fully explored this and just discovered it.

  8. #48
    Senior Member Tabula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    IxFx
    Enneagram
    9w1 so/sx
    Posts
    307

    Default

    I adore them, and honestly couldn't imagine living without one or two. I do prefer large dogs, though.

    (typed as my one year old golden retriever is laying across my feet, sleeping. )

    Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    Yeah, golden retrievers are pretty much the chillest animal


    Have you ever met a golden puppy?! They're big balls of fluffy ENERGY. It takes a while for them to mellow out, but they are damned sweet.

  9. #49
    can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    3,689

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    I actually will do what you said, endure the discomfort, if it's a fairly small dog (they still make me uncomfortable, but not threatened). I absolutely can't do it with larger dogs, though.
    I really am bothered by big dogs when they aren't trained to stay out of a guest's way. I can't stand to be licked, or even excessively sniffed by a wet nose, and- while I understand an owner may find these things really endearing- I kinda lose respect for those who need other people to find it endearing as well. I can even tolerate it if the owner is apologetic and allows me to get annoyed without taking it personally. It's the owners who take it personally- who need me to agree "aw, the dog likes me", to validate their own feelings- who really annoy me. But on the other hand, I melt for dogs who are well behaved and wait for an invitation to approach. Overall, I'm much more of a cat person.
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

    5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

  10. #50
    Blah Orangey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,364

    Default

    The only time I actively dislike dogs is when you get one of those little shit Chihuahuas (or other small, hyper dogs) that won't STFU or be calm.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Similar Threads

  1. Does anyone else hate their type's profiles?
    By BlackCat in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 07-22-2009, 10:36 AM
  2. Does anyone else hate posting in long threads?
    By Azseroffs in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 04-22-2009, 09:43 PM
  3. does anyone else make up a lot of ideas for computer games?
    By Zergling in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-27-2008, 04:46 PM
  4. Does anyone else visit this site?
    By The Ü™ in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-09-2007, 10:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO