User Tag List

View Poll Results: How do you feel about dogs?

Voters
108. You may not vote on this poll
  • I don't like dogs.

16 14.81%
  • I can tolerate dogs.

22 20.37%
  • I like dogs.

70 64.81%
First 2345614 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    I really don't like dogs, to be honest. They are filthy, stupid, foul-smelling, noisy and submissive.
    A house with a dog in it smells like dirty underwear and bad breath. Charming.
    It's so painfully obvious that the owners keep them as some sort of surrogate for real children most of the time.
    Besides, you have to constantly walk them, feed them, find someone to take care of it if you want to go somewhere...
    It's just so limiting and unnecessary. Oh and... Did I mention filthy?

Edit: besides that, a lot of people are allergic and you instantly keep them out of your life by having those creatures around.
    By the same token, you keep a lot of people out of your life by hating dogs. There are a lot of women who love dogs who wouldn't be with someone who hates them.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    By the same token, you keep a lot of people out of your life by hating dogs. There are a lot of women who love dogs who wouldn't be with someone who hates them.
    Definitely.

I've had friends whose families didn't have pets and it was a little alienating, like they saw animals as beneath them.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Next, there's the hygiene. They usually smell horrible, they like to lick their dirty butts and then lick people's hands/faces, eat their own feces, and unless you're very lucky if you suck at dog training or the dog has a health problem, they defecate and urinate on the floor.
    My dog doesn't smell bad; when he starts to smell doggy, we give him a bath. He does not eat his own or any other feces, and does not urinate or defecate on the floor. In fact, I fixed your last sentence above.

Dogs bark VERY loudly whenever they hear something
    My dog doesn't do that either. He only barks when playing with other dogs, or when he is outside and wants to come in, and then it is one short bark.

These are the reasons why I cannot stand dogs, and feel like it's unfair that I'm so often subjected to the mangy animals. I feel that I get no respect, that I'm just expected to be okay with the animals... not just in private homes, but increasingly in public places. I have had to leave stores because someone with a dog came in, and nothing was done about it. Often, it wasn't even on a leash. There should be rules about this.
    I don't know where you live, but there are rules about this. I don't agree with much about your post, but I do agree that leash laws should be followed - they are not only for the safety of people, but the dogs as well. The only stores I've ever seen dogs allowed in are pet stores, and occasionally in a store where the owner has a dog and brings it in.

I think that a person who keeps a dog in their home, and invites people there expecting them to accept the invitation, is extremely inconsiderate of their guests. A dog is an intrusive, disgusting, and potentially dangerous creature, and just because you want to live with one, doesn't mean you should be able to expect of me that I will feel safe or comfortable being around it. I mean, it's one thing if they put the dog up... that's fine. But the majority of dog owners WILL NOT do this. Their whole attitude is that you're expected to come in and be okay with the dogs. And then if I try to respectfully say, "Well, thanks for inviting me, but I don't want to come in because I'm uncomfortable with dogs," they get offended. Who the heck are they to get offended? If anyone should be offended here, it should be me. I basically got told that I'm less important than a freaking animal.
    I don't have any friends that are super uncomfortable with dogs, but if I did, I think I would be considerate enough to meet with them at their place or in public, so as not to subject them to my dog. However, I am not going to confine my dog to a room; I don't think that's fair to him. You can also look at this the other way: Perhaps your friends feel that by refusing to come in because of the dog, you imply that THEY are less important than a dog. Just a thought. I don't like (most) cats and am extremely allergic to them, but I never refuse an invitation due to the presence of a cat. Just sayin'.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Nothing but a german shepherd ! haha This video is funny on so many levels, yet they are really nice dogs:

[youtube="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq6sOeWolO4"].[/youtube]

I'ld prefer a Beagle tho personally. I heard they need a lot of territory to discover and like changes in their environment. If I'ld become a salesman who travells a lot, I'ld have a Beagle

[youtube="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NQJ5spTHgs&feature=related"].[/youtube]
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Nigga you crazy! dogs are awesome

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Next, there's the hygiene. They usually smell horrible, they like to lick their dirty butts and then lick people's hands/faces, eat their own feces, and unless you're very lucky, they defecate and urinate on the floor.

Now we have behavior. Dogs bark VERY loudly whenever they hear something, and it's very annoying. When someone comes inside, they insist on approaching FAST and sniffing or jumping up on people (sometimes even licking them), and it's really creepy. What if I don't want to be touched/approached by the dog? I feel like it's a violation of my personal space. Also, it scares the heck of me to see the wolf dog approaching at that speed. Also, whenever I eat in the presence of a dog, I know the dog is waiting for me to drop something and then swoop in to eat it. I don't appreciate having it hover over me like a vulture, and I don't like it getting that close to me to eat whatever I might drop. Oh, and they also have a very clumsy, sloppy gait... they're always sniffing around at things with their big ugly noses, and they're always panting with their tongues hanging out, making noise. They keep trying to demand attention and interact with me against my will, and I DO NOT like it.
    A well trained dog will rarely bark at things, and will certainly not pee on the floor. And hygiene is mostly up to the owner.... I bathe my dog regularly, she doesn't smell. And some of the things you mention, like the slobbery/tongue hanging out thing I also don't like - but that tends to be breed-specific. I find that things like labradors and rotties are a bit too slobbery for me. But breeds like collies are less so. My dog also knows better than to beg at the table when you're eating something. Dogs who stare it you while you're eating it are usually doing it because the owners feed them table scraps. It's a learned behavior.

I would agree with you that I don't like dogs that exhibit all of these behaviors you mention. But all of this is preventable with proper training. My neighbor's dogs piss me off because they're constantly barking. Their owner is never home and when they were growing up he never bothered to address the barking. Now it's constant.

I can tell you that my ISTP brother fucking hates animals. Cats, dogs, anything. He thinks animals are useless, a waste of money, and he gets no joy from them.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I think that dogs are disgusting animals. They really have no place in a home. Now, keeping a dog in the backyard, or having a hunting dog is one thing... but I don't like the fact that people keep these animals in their home. Especially not when they have guests.

I have such a long list of people I have to avoid because they own dogs. Now, I will explain my reasons for loathing these four-legged atrocities.

First of all, they remind me of wolves. I cannot look at a dog, any dog, without seeing a wolf. That mental image of a wolf makes me incredibly anxious, and I can't get it out of my head. So above all, I feel incredibly anxious whenever there's a dog present.

Next, there's the hygiene. They usually smell horrible, they like to lick their dirty butts and then lick people's hands/faces, eat their own feces, and unless you're very lucky, they defecate and urinate on the floor.

Now we have behavior. Dogs bark VERY loudly whenever they hear something, and it's very annoying. When someone comes inside, they insist on approaching FAST and sniffing or jumping up on people (sometimes even licking them), and it's really creepy. What if I don't want to be touched/approached by the dog? I feel like it's a violation of my personal space. Also, it scares the heck of me to see the wolf dog approaching at that speed. Also, whenever I eat in the presence of a dog, I know the dog is waiting for me to drop something and then swoop in to eat it. I don't appreciate having it hover over me like a vulture, and I don't like it getting that close to me to eat whatever I might drop. Oh, and they also have a very clumsy, sloppy gait... they're always sniffing around at things with their big ugly noses, and they're always panting with their tongues hanging out, making noise. They keep trying to demand attention and interact with me against my will, and I DO NOT like it.

These are the reasons why I cannot stand dogs, and feel like it's unfair that I'm so often subjected to the mangy animals. I feel that I get no respect, that I'm just expected to be okay with the animals... not just in private homes, but increasingly in public places. I have had to leave stores because someone with a dog came in, and nothing was done about it. Often, it wasn't even on a leash. There should be rules about this.

I think that a person who keeps a dog in their home, and invites people there expecting them to accept the invitation, is extremely inconsiderate of their guests. A dog is an intrusive, disgusting, and potentially dangerous creature, and just because you want to live with one, doesn't mean you should be able to expect of me that I will feel safe or comfortable being around it. I mean, it's one thing if they put the dog up... that's fine. But the majority of dog owners WILL NOT do this. Their whole attitude is that you're expected to come in and be okay with the dogs. And then if I try to respectfully say, "Well, thanks for inviting me, but I don't want to come in because I'm uncomfortable with dogs," they get offended. Who the heck are they to get offended? If anyone should be offended here, it should be me. I basically got told that I'm less important than a freaking animal.

Whew! Sorry about the rant. But anyway, those are my feelings about dogs. Is there anyone else here who doesn't like dogs? Or am I really the only one?
    I'd like to add that despite your negative experiences with your family's dogs, I hope one day you'll realize that the above description is "my family's dogs" rather than "dogs".

In fact the majority of adult dogs are clean, don't smell, are well-behaved, don't make messes or destroy things, are not aggressive, and rarely bark. Taking the effort to train and take care of your dog usually ensures this things, unless the dog has health/"emotional" problems (usually from abuse).

Different breeds also behave differently with regard to barking, destroying things, drooling, etc.

I also suspect that you would like dogs better if you weren't so afraid of them. Try spending time around a well-behaved, even tempered small dog. Or do you just hate animals in general?
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle99 View Post
    Perhaps your friends feel that by refusing to come in because of the dog, you imply that THEY are less important than a dog. Just a thought.
    That's completely unfair. I'm refusing to come in because I don't want to subject myself to the dog, especially if it's a large dog. It's got nothing to do with them. It's unfair for them to expect me to allow that animal near me, and to feel offended if I choose not to accept an invitation because I don't.

I'm so upset that I have to live in a world where everything caters to dog lovers, and people like me have to be miserable because dogs are treated as though they have "rights" that apparently supersede my right not to have the creature touch me or drool on me.

Dogs seem to lack the ability to respect my personal boundaries, and I find this intolerable. What's worse, is that I feel I'm looked down upon for having boundaries that I don't appreciate a dog crossing without my permission.

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Or do you just hate animals in general?
    No, I love cats as much as I hate dogs. It's just dogs that I have an issue with. Cats generally respect boundaries, won't approach you unexpectedly or suddenly before you have a chance to notice their presence.

That's completely unfair. I'm refusing to come in because I don't want to subject myself to the dog, especially if it's a large dog. It's got nothing to do with them. It's unfair for them to expect me to allow that animal near me, and to feel offended if I choose not to accept an invitation because I don't.

I'm so upset that I have to live in a world where everything caters to dog lovers, and people like me have to be miserable because dogs are treated as though they have "rights" that apparently supersede my right not to have the creature touch me or drool on me.
    You shouldn't have to love or even tolerate dogs if it's not your thing. But this also doesn't mean that everyone else needs to bend to your preferences.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I'm not saying for sure people feel that way... I don't. I'm just saying you should try to look at things from the other perspective, and try to be a bit more understanding. An again, I, as an avid dog person, would not be offended if someone politely refused an invitation due to my dog; but perhaps your friends are less compassionate people than I am.

Like I said, it makes me quite (physically) uncomfortable to visit a house where cats live (even if the cats are locked away, because their dander is still around) because of my allergy, but I don't think the cats' owners are being disrespectful or rude to me by inviting me over. If I had that much of a problem with it, I would simply ask politely if they could come to my place instead, or if we could go to a coffee shop or something. Usually, though, I just tolerate the temporary discomfort.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/