User Tag List

View Poll Results: How do you feel about dogs?

Voters
108. You may not vote on this poll
  • I don't like dogs.

16 14.81%
  • I can tolerate dogs.

22 20.37%
  • I like dogs.

70 64.81%
First 123412 Last

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I dislike when dogs bark as I don't like loud noises or when they run up to you and lick you. Yuck.

Other than that I've no problem with dogs. They are cute and cuddly creatures. Most are friendly and seem to like people.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    INFP

I like my own dogs. I'm not the kind of person that is interested in petting your dog.

Our three shih tzus are hypoallergenic (have hair, not fur, so they do not shed), regularly bathed and groomed (by us), well-behaved (you will not hear them bark unless we are asking them to speak, for fun) and intelligent.

Not to mention they have a ton of personality and are thus fun to have around. They make great power-walking partners, too (I do a lot of walking).

violaine

@ OP. I don't like dogs much either. I would never keep one in my home as I think they are dirty/a lot of work to keep clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    I think that dogs are disgusting animals. They really have no place in a home. Now, keeping a dog in the backyard, or having a hunting dog is one thing... but I don't like the fact that people keep these animals in their home. Especially not when they have guests.

I have such a long list of people I have to avoid because they own dogs. Now, I will explain my reasons for loathing these four-legged atrocities.

First of all, they remind me of wolves. I cannot look at a dog, any dog, without seeing a wolf. That mental image of a wolf makes me incredibly anxious, and I can't get it out of my head. So above all, I feel incredibly anxious whenever there's a dog present.

Next, there's the hygiene. They usually smell horrible, they like to lick their dirty butts and then lick people's hands/faces, eat their own feces, and unless you're very lucky, they defecate and urinate on the floor.

Now we have behavior. Dogs bark VERY loudly whenever they hear something, and it's very annoying. When someone comes inside, they insist on approaching FAST and sniffing or jumping up on people (sometimes even licking them), and it's really creepy. What if I don't want to be touched/approached by the dog? I feel like it's a violation of my personal space. Also, it scares the heck of me to see the wolf dog approaching at that speed. Also, whenever I eat in the presence of a dog, I know the dog is waiting for me to drop something and then swoop in to eat it. I don't appreciate having it hover over me like a vulture, and I don't like it getting that close to me to eat whatever I might drop. Oh, and they also have a very clumsy, sloppy gait... they're always sniffing around at things with their big ugly noses, and they're always panting with their tongues hanging out, making noise. They keep trying to demand attention and interact with me against my will, and I DO NOT like it.

These are the reasons why I cannot stand dogs, and feel like it's unfair that I'm so often subjected to the mangy animals. I feel that I get no respect, that I'm just expected to be okay with the animals... not just in private homes, but increasingly in public places. I have had to leave stores because someone with a dog came in, and nothing was done about it. Often, it wasn't even on a leash. There should be rules about this.

I think that a person who keeps a dog in their home, and invites people there expecting them to accept the invitation, is extremely inconsiderate of their guests. A dog is an intrusive, disgusting, and potentially dangerous creature, and just because you want to live with one, doesn't mean you should be able to expect of me that I will feel safe or comfortable being around it. I mean, it's one thing if they put the dog up... that's fine. But the majority of dog owners WILL NOT do this. Their whole attitude is that you're expected to come in and be okay with the dogs. And then if I try to respectfully say, "Well, thanks for inviting me, but I don't want to come in because I'm uncomfortable with dogs," they get offended. Who the heck are they to get offended? If anyone should be offended here, it should be me. I basically got told that I'm less important than a freaking animal.

Whew! Sorry about the rant. But anyway, those are my feelings about dogs. Is there anyone else here who doesn't like dogs? Or am I really the only one?
    All relationships require tolerance and compromise. My dog is also a companion and comfort to me, as well as an emotional link. Her wellbeing matters to me, so I do my best to instruct her and care for her. We teach each other things. It is not all bad. Just like with human relationships, it is a mixed bag.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    INTP

CRAP, I voted wrong in the poll because I expected "I like dogs" to be the top option. I love dogs. Dogs make this world a more tolerable place.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    INTP

Dogs are one of humanity's great projects. You'd be silly not to take advantage of all that effort, over all those thousands of years, after so much careful breeding. Dogs are like cheap alarms, exercise aids, and bodyguards all rolled into one happy, slave-like animal that is actually desperate to serve you at every moment. I like dogs, but more importantly, dogs love me and would die for me. Of course I like dogs.

Love dogs, wolves, cats, pretty much any animal. When it comes to dogs, I admit to a preference for big dogs and while little dogs can be cute, many are yappy, annoyingly aggressive when not properly trained and get underfoot. The toy dog accessory phenomenon is annoying.

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I like dogs but I have a marked preference for cats.

If a dog is smelly, misbehaves, jumps on people, barks when they should be silent, isn't housebroken, etc., look to the owner--not the dog. It's unfortunate that this causes a lot of dislike for the animal.

Wolves are awesome, btw.

Dali

I like dogs... from a distance but that's due to my religious scruples. I think they're adorable but, in my religion, we consider their saliva unclean and, for that reason, I often tell dog-owners to keep their pets at a distance from me. If it's someone I know won't understand and/or I'm not in the mood to explain, I just mention that I'm allergic.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Redbone View Post
    If a dog is smelly, misbehaves, jumps on people, barks when they should be silent, isn't housebroken, etc., look to the owner--not the dog. It's unfortunate that this causes a lot of dislike for the animal.
    Totally.