User Tag List

View Poll Results: How do you feel about dogs?

Voters
108. You may not vote on this poll
  • I don't like dogs.

16 14.81%
  • I can tolerate dogs.

22 20.37%
  • I like dogs.

70 64.81%
First 21011121314 Last

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

How do you feel about cats, Athenian? In detail. Not "I love them, because they're quiet and never bother me and I hate training things."
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

I like dogs, but after many years, both of my family's eventually died. I can honestly say I prefer cats, though at the time I would probably never have admitted that. In retrospect dogs are too high-maintenance and in-your-face. Cats are generally a much more compatible temperament- easygoing and independent.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

As I said in the cat thread, I like both.

Yet, I'm relatively not scared of dogs. Usually I can avoid getting bitten. There were some pit bulls next door one time. One jumped on my chest, and the other circled me. I just erased all fear, and stared the dog down. I didn't get bitten that time. However, those two dogs were forced away because they severely mauled a little girl.

When I worked at the vet one summer, I got bitten about 7 times, some dogs, some cats. Most of the times it's because the dog is scared or injured, but sometimes because it's just mean. However, even a person will bite you too. I worked in primate house, and the monkeys bit me a few times.

However, removing fear (if you have that skill) will help in dealing with any animal. Work on that!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    How do you feel about cats, Athenian? In detail. Not "I love them, because they're quiet and never bother me and I hate training things."
    Well, I honestly enjoy cats. I like petting them. I like holding out a sock and letting them claw at it. I love watching their little eyes follow something that's moving. I like the way their ears perk up when they hear a noise. With one cat I had, I sometimes liked turning his ears inside out and watching him shake his head to get them back to normal, LOL. I enjoy it when they figure out how to open a door all by themselves by turning the knob and pushing. I like the calming sound they make when they purr. I enjoy the cute little mewing sound they make when they want food... they just stand in front of their bowl and mew.

I also feel a bit protected, because the cat will often chase down bugs or rats and eat them. Since bugs and rats make me nervous, this is a good thing. The cat also seems to have an intuitive sense of when I want them to be there. When I don't want the cat around, it seems to stay away... when I'm in need of affection, it seems to wander over and start comforting me. Dogs aren't like that... they just bother you whenever THEY want attention. They don't care what you're in the mood for.

Finally, I just love the general curiosity that the cat displays regarding its environment. It inspects anything that stands out, cautiously navigates new areas, mentally mapping them out, and seems to respect people. It has the ability to jump from one surface to another... it can figure out what sequence of things to climb on and jump from to reach a certain point, even if it's fairly complex. They can figure out the difference between a chain-link fence, and a solid fence, and exploit that advantage to scale it. I've never seen a dog do something like that.

Cats may scratch up furniture, but they don't chew up shoes or clothing the way dogs do.

Basically... I like cats because they demonstrate more intelligence, compassion, and creativity than dogs do. Dogs are just dumb animals that act wild on instinct, and can only learn to do what you tell them to do with training. Cats seem to think and learn for themselves, and are capable of choosing to love you or hate you, rather than just obeying you out of instinct. The most a dog can do is learn to obey, or it's completely wild and out of control, with no rhyme or reason.

Oh, and if you have time... read this:

http://www.psy-q.ch/lovecraft/html/catsdogs.htm

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    6-5

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Human beings are sentient. We are capable of complex forms of communication, empathy, reasoning, and more. We can think about death. We have the capacity to dream, to be creative. We can choose whether to behave in a selfish or self-sacrificing manner. We... are REAL. We MATTER. Animals... aren't like that. They just ARE. They just exist, survive, and reproduce. Humans can do more than that. That's why we're more important.
    Actually, as much as dogs can learn from humans, I think there are things humans can learn from dogs. They can take me away from my non stop thinking and let me just BE sometimes. I think you are incapable of seeing beyond the surface. It's sad you cannot see, feel and appreciate the love and personality of a dog, even if you choose never to have one or be a dog lover.

Some of these negative generalizations are awful. I see more disgusting humans on a daily basis than dogs.

Type 6w5 sp/so/sx I think..I have not fully explored this and just discovered it.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

I was torn on the poll, but my answer comes from the stand point of owning a dog... I can tolerate them... And I'll likely get one in a couple of years again... But, for the most part I tolerate them as an owner. However, when I'm around my friends dogs I love on them and play with them... As long as they don't try and lick me or drool a lot. Go figure, I can handle a cat's rough tongue, but I hate dogs tongue... Weird.

MBTI
    INTe

Too cute.

Anyway, another reason for not owning a dog: keeping it clean is enough trouble, but having to walk behind it and clean up its poop is where I draw the line.
    Peel off the napkin
    O my enemy.
    Do I terrify?

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I'm thinkin' if someone came to my house, clearly disgusted with my dog, (who is a big part of my lifestyle, and doesn't bark, chew, drool, bite, or hurt any living being. In his most intrusive and obnoxious moment he may give you his paw), and acted like they thought my dog was a disgusting, dangerous nuisance after I graciously welcomed them into my home.... I would likely choose to hang out with the dog.

Allergies, OCD, and genuine fear of dogs is a different story..
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE

i <3 them. but admit that i'm not thrilled about them having anal glands n shit. my sister used to volunteer at an animal shelter and had to express the glands in the big dogs because they would become clogged.

the anal glands, them rubbing them on you and the furniture, and the dogs stepping all over dogshit (that their irresponsible owners left) on the sidewalks, then trekking it inside...i'm no neat freak but i am not down with the anal gland leakage and e Coli. i like the loyalty and exuberance of the dog, but do appreciate the fastidiousness and subtlety of the cat.

i have two Ragdoll cats. they play fetch, play hide and go seek, and greet me at the door each and every time i come home. pretty damn doglike.
    I may be kindly, I am ordinarily gentle, but in my line of business I am obliged to will terribly what I will at all.
    ~ Catherine the Great

7w6 ❣ sx/so ❤ physical touch ❥ sanguine 70%, choleric 30% ❦

Johari.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE

which is not to say i don't hope to date someone with a dog. hopefully, a dog that likes playing in the surf. i live a block from the beach and sometimes go to see the dogs off-leash at sunset. anyone wanting a lesson in joyful exuberance should observe a dog bounding into the surf.
    I may be kindly, I am ordinarily gentle, but in my line of business I am obliged to will terribly what I will at all.
    ~ Catherine the Great

7w6 ❣ sx/so ❤ physical touch ❥ sanguine 70%, choleric 30% ❦

Johari.