User Tag List

View Poll Results: How do you feel about dogs?

Voters
108. You may not vote on this poll
  • I don't like dogs.

16 14.81%
  • I can tolerate dogs.

22 20.37%
  • I like dogs.

70 64.81%
First 910111213 Last

Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    I'm also allergic to them, so that's already a heavy limitation. If someone chooses dogs over being with me, they weren't worth my time and effort anyway, I guess hope.
    Bummer.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

I like dogs and cats. I don't own any dogs, though. Maybe its age, but I find myself getting more irritated by neurotic behavior in pets (especially in dogs since it is more disruptive and therefore visible to people besides the owner) Often the behaviors and neuroses are primarily a function of the way that dog has been treated by people. Thus, I don't feel hate toward an animal, but displeasure about what people have done, the lack of awareness, and the limits of psychological understanding and wherewithal when it comes to rehabilitating neurotic behavior.

Hopefully this doesn't sound like I consider all people with an imperfectly behaved pet a failure deserving of scorn. I reserve that for animal abusers. Bad behavior in a pet doesn't equate to an owner not loving or caring about the animal. And I have so much sympathy for homeless animals that have been surrendered and so much respect for the people, who with love and awareness, try to rehabilitate animals with behavior problems. But the truth is that a lot of animal neuroses can be traced to our human expectations, attitudes and demands.

Even before The Dog Whisperer phenomenon, I was interested in dog psychology. I liked books by Dr. Nicholas Dodman which first introduced me to the principles of dog psychology and showed the depth and meaning behind many common behavior problems.

And I found The New Work of Dogs by Jon Katz (!) to be especially important. He talks about how more and more in our modern world the job of dogs is shifting (from traditional roles: herding, hunting, guard) towards providing whatever emotional nourishment a particular individual happens to be needing at that time. This expectation, and the way humans often express it, is frequently at odds with dog's natural psychology often leading to neurosis in the animal and frustration in people. I don't mean that dogs cannot enrich our emotional lives, they most certainly do. (I know someone who is currently attempting to get a dog trained and certified as a psychological service dog.) But I do believe that more people need to be aware and take the mental health of their pet seriously. I know its not easy, but no one is forced to have a pet, and it is worth the work. The owner's mental health and that of their pet are bound up in each other. Dogs are living creatures, and I don't think they are hateful, they have psychological needs and limitations, kind of like us. I take that very seriously and wish more people did, too.
    the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project

Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism

FigerPuppet

Quote Originally Posted by YWIR View Post
    I completely agree with you. Dogs gross the hell out of me. I'm NEVER getting a dog.
    What a muslim thing to say.

I'm not even kidding. A muslim who likes dog is a rarity.

Banned

I think dogs are disgusting.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    Bummer.
    No, seriously, how can an animal be so important that you'd skip being with someone you like in all other aspects?
    That's very much beyond me.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    No, seriously, how can an animal be so important that you'd skip being with someone you like in all other aspects?
    That's very much beyond me.
    I think it really depends on which relationship came first and how serious it is. If someone was setting me up on a blind date with a guy who hated dogs, I would end things right there. If it's later on that the issue comes up that can definitely complicate matters.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

No, I don't hate dogs. Stop bumping the thread. You don't hate dogs either.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    I think it really depends on which relationship came first and how serious it is. If someone was setting me up on a blind date with a guy who hated dogs, I would end things right there. If it's later on that the issue comes up that can definitely complicate matters.
    This, AND the fact that I've had my dog for 10 years, and she is a member of my family. I love her. I would no more get rid of my dog than get rid of a kid from a previous marriage because a guy I was with didn't like kids.

If a guy was amazing in all other respects was allergic to dogs, that's one thing, though it would seriously, seriously bum me out because that would mean no dogs for me as long as we're together. If I was being deprived of dog contact because someone just didn't like dogs, that wouldn't sit very well with me. I'm too much of an animal lover. A dogless life is a sadder life, for me.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I like dogs, and animals in general, but I don't like dogs inside the home. I prefer them in the backyard. They have a strong smell, even when clean, and are less inconspicuous than cats. They follow you on your heels, often jump on visitors, many are too large to be indoors comfortably (which still doesn't stop people...), etc. My cats don't do that, nor does anyone know I have one until they see them or spot their food dishes (no odor & they maintain a distance with strangers). So I prefer cats as pets, but I'm still cool with dogs, as long as they are kept outside.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I like dogs, and animals in general, but I don't like dogs inside the home. I prefer them in the backyard. They have a strong smell, even when clean, and are less inconspicuous than cats. They follow you on your heels, often jump on visitors, many are too large to be indoors comfortably (which still doesn't stop people...), etc. My cats don't do that, nor does anyone know I have one until they see them or spot their food dishes (no odor & they maintain a distance with strangers). So I prefer cats as pets, but I'm still cool with dogs, as long as they are kept outside.
    Actually, I don't have a problem with dogs in the backyard, either. As much as I seem to dislike dogs, most of the problems I have with them, are problems associated with people having a dog in a house. I've heard that it used to be more common to keep the dog outside in the backyard, rather than let it live in your house. It would be perfectly okay with me if people did that more often.

I find it frustrating when people blur the lines between human beings and animals so much that they call the dog a member of their family. That sounds crazy to me. It's a pet, and that's how it should be seen. My inability to trust the dog goes from being a simple fear of an animal descended from a wolf, to being a rejection of a family member. That's not fair.