User Tag List

View Poll Results: How do you feel about dogs?

Voters
108. You may not vote on this poll
  • I don't like dogs.

16 14.81%
  • I can tolerate dogs.

22 20.37%
  • I like dogs.

70 64.81%
First 89101112 Last

MBTI
    INTe

I can tolerate dogs if they're socialized not to jump on or slobber all over me... basically if they leave me the hell alone. However, some dog-owners are some of the most revolting humans around. Specifically, the ones who think their ownership of a dog is license to let it run wild in public and the ones who expect everybody to lavish love and attention on their dog and do not even consider that others might be disturbed by them. I don't give a crap how "sweet" the dogs are and I can do without their friendliness. E.g. a party I've been to where the owners just left their huge, smelly dog to pester me and only put it away hours later when the dog became aggressive.
    Peel off the napkin
    O my enemy.
    Do I terrify?

Quote Originally Posted by Greta View Post
    I can tolerate dogs if they're socialized not to jump on or slobber all over me... basically if they leave me the hell alone. However, dog-owners are some of the most revolting humans around. Specifically, the ones who think their ownership of a dog is license to let it run wild in public and the ones who expect everybody to lavish love and attention on their dog and do not even consider that others might be disturbed by them. E.g. a party I've been to where the owner just left their huge, smelly dog to pester me and only put it away hours later when the dog became aggressive.
    Stranger than your sweeping judgments of 'dog-owners' is that your avi is a member of the Canidae family.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    I think that dogs are disgusting animals. They really have no place in a home. Now, keeping a dog in the backyard, or having a hunting dog is one thing... but I don't like the fact that people keep these animals in their home. Especially not when they have guests.

I have such a long list of people I have to avoid because they own dogs. Now, I will explain my reasons for loathing these four-legged atrocities.

First of all, they remind me of wolves. I cannot look at a dog, any dog, without seeing a wolf. That mental image of a wolf makes me incredibly anxious, and I can't get it out of my head. So above all, I feel incredibly anxious whenever there's a dog present.

Next, there's the hygiene. They usually smell horrible, they like to lick their dirty butts and then lick people's hands/faces, eat their own feces, and unless you're very lucky, they defecate and urinate on the floor.

Now we have behavior. Dogs bark VERY loudly whenever they hear something, and it's very annoying. When someone comes inside, they insist on approaching FAST and sniffing or jumping up on people (sometimes even licking them), and it's really creepy. What if I don't want to be touched/approached by the dog? I feel like it's a violation of my personal space. Also, it scares the heck of me to see the wolf dog approaching at that speed. Also, whenever I eat in the presence of a dog, I know the dog is waiting for me to drop something and then swoop in to eat it. I don't appreciate having it hover over me like a vulture, and I don't like it getting that close to me to eat whatever I might drop. Oh, and they also have a very clumsy, sloppy gait... they're always sniffing around at things with their big ugly noses, and they're always panting with their tongues hanging out, making noise. They keep trying to demand attention and interact with me against my will, and I DO NOT like it.

These are the reasons why I cannot stand dogs, and feel like it's unfair that I'm so often subjected to the mangy animals. I feel that I get no respect, that I'm just expected to be okay with the animals... not just in private homes, but increasingly in public places. I have had to leave stores because someone with a dog came in, and nothing was done about it. Often, it wasn't even on a leash. There should be rules about this.

I think that a person who keeps a dog in their home, and invites people there expecting them to accept the invitation, is extremely inconsiderate of their guests. A dog is an intrusive, disgusting, and potentially dangerous creature, and just because you want to live with one, doesn't mean you should be able to expect of me that I will feel safe or comfortable being around it. I mean, it's one thing if they put the dog up... that's fine. But the majority of dog owners WILL NOT do this. Their whole attitude is that you're expected to come in and be okay with the dogs. And then if I try to respectfully say, "Well, thanks for inviting me, but I don't want to come in because I'm uncomfortable with dogs," they get offended. Who the heck are they to get offended? If anyone should be offended here, it should be me. I basically got told that I'm less important than a freaking animal.

Whew! Sorry about the rant. But anyway, those are my feelings about dogs. Is there anyone else here who doesn't like dogs? Or am I really the only one?

BLASPHEMY!!!
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    INTe

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    Stranger than your sweeping judgments of 'dog-owners' is that your avi is a member of the Canidae family.
    See edit re "some" dog owners, i.e., the ones fitting the description of the rest of my post. I've known perfectly sane, considerate dog-owners. Likable dogs, too.

Besides, nothing strange at all about the choice of avi. Perhaps I like the fox cause it's rather unlikely to be all over me?? They go off and do their own thang, and I can respect that. Now, if I had an obnoxious dog-owner up there, that would be something else.
    Peel off the napkin
    O my enemy.
    Do I terrify?

garbage

They're fine, but they're way too dependent for my tastes. Give me a pet that can practically take care of itself, please

Oh, and big dogs in a small apartment? worst idea in the world

MBTI
    IxFx
    Enneagram
    9w1 so/sx

How can you hate this?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Or this?

Awwwww
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

garbage

those photographs do not fully represent the archetypal dog

Seriously, you shouldn't be trying to post "cute" pictures of animals in a thread about hating that animal. That's just rude and disrupts the flow of conversation.

MBTI
    INTe

See how those nice lil doggies are sitting quietly minding their own business? Of course they're adorable then! Well, those natural beauties, of course. Nothing can salvage this one:

And some people find these pics more representative:

Peel off the napkin
    O my enemy.
    Do I terrify?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    By the same token, you keep a lot of people out of your life by hating dogs. There are a lot of women who love dogs who wouldn't be with someone who hates them.
    I'm also allergic to them, so that's already a heavy limitation. If someone chooses dogs over being with me, they weren't worth my time and effort anyway, I guess.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come