User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Talking to yourself

It's always something... Array PuddleRiver's Avatar

I do this all the time. Don't worry about it.

It is a real stress reliever for me.
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi

Pretty often when I'm alone. Helps me to think and vent feelings.

All Natural! All Good! Array

I talk to myself almost incessantly when my roommate is not home (which is a lot of the time) and I'm awake, not writing/typing, etc. I "think out loud" a whole lot. The problem is I study like that, too, so on exams I tend to want to talk to myself out loud but I can't and it can be frustrating. I tend to mouth the things I want to say which helps.

I agree that it's good to keep the flow of ideas going, at least for me, it helps to get it out. But sometimes the tangents can just keep running and I seem to get lost in a sea of some kind...for, like, hours.

I also do this thing that really worries my roommate (I can't always control it just because she's around!) - I tend to argue with myself out loud (hey, I'm just debating), and voice both sides of the argument. Sometimes I also raise my voice to the point of yelling, so I walk around the apartment YELLING AT MYSELF for fairly long periods of time.

I guess I can be pretty arrogant self-esteem wise, like I'm the only one worth talking to. One thing that supports this hypothesis: if a friend makes a comment and I take the opposing position (this is fun for me) and we start to argue out loud, at some point I find that I am arguing against myself because my friend wasn't interested in defending their position. I often ignore what my friends say too, because they say stupid things, so I just talk to myself when around them and talk right over their "answers". This is admittedly pretty...bad.
    Strychnine is all-natural,
    So strychnine is all good.
    It's Godly and righteous,
    So eat it, you should.
    Who are you to refuse nature's will?

Don't use the multiquote; it was planted by the devil to deceive us.

Social Role: Asscrack/Piece of Shit/Public Defecator/Spiteful Urinator

A different type everyday - so no need to type me anymore. But feel free to enjoy the sound of your own asscrack.

9w1 so/sx

Yes, constantly! It's nothing intelligible, usually in some different accent, and almost always rhyming, melodic nonsense (they're still English words - it's just that those words strung together in the way they are when they fall out of my mouth, are meaningless.) I do it when I'm doing something else - like sitting at the computer - and won't really notice until I stop doing whatever else it was I was doing, or if I'm interrupted by someone or something. I think it's just some sort of thumb-sucking thing. I don't know. A habit.

In those times that I'm actually paying attention to what I'm saying, speaking coherently, with the express purpose of untangling ideas, I speak as if I'm explaining whatever it is to someone else. I do this fairly often, but it's deliberate and purposeful, unlike the habit I mentioned above.

I only speak aloud to myself when I'm alone, or mumble under my breath if there are only a few other people around and we're not interacting, but the mental chatter doesn't stop no matter where I am.