User Tag List

First 789101119 Last

MBTI
    IsFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    that's not embarrassing, it's just funny
    I felt humiliated, that's all. Though I guess it did look funny from the outside. I seldom feel comfortable laughing at people who are unwillingly made the center of attention nowadays... I know the feeling.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    As far as my introversion... Whenever kids would call me to hang out I would tell my mom to answer the phone and tell them Im not home. If she made me talk to them I would always say, "I'm grounded Im not allowed to come out today." My mom used to get so pissed and was like, "Everyone is going to think Im the bitchiest parent in town! They think you're always grounded!" I don't think I ever actually got grounded in my life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    One of my parent's favorite anecdotes about my early childhood involves me informing the surrounding adults that the geese flying overhead could be shot and used in sausage. Oh, and also me frankly informing a random pregnant lady that she would need to have a C-section.
    Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    When I was 8 years old, I decided I wanted to change my name... And for some reason I chose the name "Tanya" (Which is nowhere close to my real name). I started ignoring people when they referred to me by my real name. I would only respond to 'Tanya'. I did this for over 6 months. My mother had to explain to my teachers why I was suddenly writing "Tanya" on all of my papers. My grandmother was furious, because I refused to respond to my real name and she refused to call me by the name Tanya.
    Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    When I was 4 years old, I did almost exactly the same thing except that I insisted I was a dog and my name was Bootch. I even insisted on being fed from a bowl on the floor. After a few days my mom was pretty worried. She says it lasted a few weeks.
    I'm loving this thread. I had a good LOL over all the above. I tried to claim a new first name myself a couple times (never liked the one I have), but I never had the focus to keep it up for longer than a few days.

As a child, I was very shy, timid and obedient at school, but rather "difficult" at home. At school I suffered from selective mutism for a time, and remained an anxious, quiet loner throughout elementary school and most of high school. I was always more or less uncomfortable there and didn't want to draw any attention to myself. At home, on the other hand, I was stubborn, I liked to argue (especially about rules), and I frequently did things "just to see what would happen". (For example, I once yanked a tablecloth off a fully set dinner table, trying to replicate this trick I'd seen on a science show. I was unsuccessful. Another time I purposely locked the bathroom door from the outside, just to see if it could be done and if I could figure out how to open it.) When my teachers and family spoke together, they could scarcely believe they were talking about the same kid.

I learned to read early and was always "bookish". My mother would often buy me books as rewards or treats. I never wanted to throw out any of my books and was always eager to get more. They kept piling up. I'd read a number of books at a time, sometimes walking around with a stack of them, reading a little of one, then closing it and opening another one. I'd get intensely interested in one subject for awhile until everyone was sick of hearing about it, and eventually move on to something else.

I was also imaginative. My teachers loved my creative writing. I used my imagination to dream up stories to tease my younger cousins or stepsiblings with. Once I told my youngest stepsister that overnight, we'd all been transported to Airland, a city built in the sky which has an exact replica of everything on earth and looks identical. I told her if she ever left the house, everyone she encountered would be "Airish", and Airish people speak their own language and are deeply bigoted against people from the land, and she must take caution never to utter an English word outside the home. My older stepsister overhead and wanted in on it, so she joined me in making things up, and we'd emphatically talk gibberish to each other and insist we were speaking "Airish". I don't think the kid ever really bought it, but we still kept it up for awhile just for the lulz.

I liked to invent words too. Often the whole family would start using the words I'd made up.

Writing this has reminded me of who I used to be. It's kinda sad...I once had this spirit and curiosity and wackiness. Where did it go?? Sigh.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

As a child I was extremely anxious, shy, and socially awkward. Growing up with Aspergers syndrome certainly wasn't a walk in the park, making basic things with my childhood a chore while for other it came so naturally. I think there were times that I did want to socialize and be around freinds, but I didn't have many friedns as I grew through the years, and some really didn't even car about me. I would spend most of my time at home playing video games or hanging out with my brother and sister, playing imaginary role playing games or with action figures. If I had to give myself a type back then I would say INFP.

Nowadays my social skills are slightly better, probably decent, but I'm still so damn shy. I attempt to make freinds online, and just today I actually went to go hang out with some other people I know in real life (went fairly well). I know my desire to socialize and more active imagination makes me an ENFP (at least I think), but I would not consider myself the opposite of my younger self. I still hold many of those insecuritieis and that all too gentle yet reserved nature.

Also as a child, I was extremely well behaved and nice, my teachers often loved my for my quietness and good attitude (although my insecure and quirky demeanor could get on their nerves from time to time). Also I tended to be wiser and more respectable than my peers.

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Man, now everytime one of my family members brings up a story from my childhood I want to post it. My ISTP brother brought one up...

When we were little (I was probably around 5, and he was around 8) ISTP big brother would make ice cubes out of all kinds of weird shit in our fridge. He would mix milk and pepsi in ice cube trays, dump melted butter into one with fruit juice, mix hot sauce and lemon juice... Anything he could find in the fridge. Then he would make me eat them. And I don't mean that this was a one time thing - this was a nightly event. He would make a new ice cube concoction every evening, and then give it to me to eat. I'm still not entirely sure why I willingly ate milk/oj/pepsi ice cubes, but I did.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

MBTI
    intp

I was many things. Firstly, I was very shy. It was very difficult for me to make friends and then, when I played with other kids, I felt like their games were weird, like, uninteresting somehow. I relied a lot on my sister and my mother. Before I went to school, I don't think I had any friends that weren't my sister's friends first, except maybe one or two boys.

Secondly, I was an easy child. I can't remember ever being punished for anything; my mom says it's because I never did anything wrong.

I was also secretive. Sometimes I played pranks on people (like hid their stuff) and, when asked about it, I wouldn't say anything, just smiled.

I was absent-minded and in my own world. I didn't pay attention to instructions or details. I rarely finished my homework. I had ADD.

I was sensitive. I took criticism very personally but I didn't tell anyone about how I felt or how I'd been criticised. I was often ashamed of myself and felt different from others. I hid my feelings. I denied them even from myself.

I wanted to please people and live up to other people's expectations. I didn't have my own opinions, I just went along with others'. I tried to make it seem as if I'm always ok and feeling good, so that no one would have to worry because of me. I had a very strong desire to be accepted and I would agree and go along with most anything to reach that goal. I know that many children are like that, but in my case this was very blatant. I honestly remember the first time I said that I don't want to do something that someone else wanted to do, I was probably ten or eleven years old. It took courage to say that and my mom was angry at me for it because she'd gotten used to me always going along with everything and always "enjoying" everything and "having fun" (even if I actually didn't).

I guess my childhood was quite INFP-ish. However, I think these traits were more influenced by my home environment than my "personality type". My emotionally unstable mom probably made me feel insecure. Her unpredictable temper tantrums gave me contradictory messages about how I should behave to be accepted. Also, not having sufficient boundaries at home probably made me feel like I don't know WHAT I should do to be accepted. So I just tried to read people all the time, guess what it was that they wanted and please them in any possible way, because I didn't have a secure home life where I would have been taught what is acceptable behavior and what isn't. I came to believe that the correct way to behave was to make myself invisible, deny my own feelings and try to make others feel good. :/

MBTI
    ExFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

Default What were you like as a little kid?

I personally think back to how I was as a kid and admire the way I viewed the world. I admire the way kids view the world in general, so seeing as you guys are pretty awesome now- I want to know what you were like growing up.
    any ages you'd like to share.

When I was a baby about 8 months old I had already started talking. my first word was "hi" and my first sentence was "are you happy?". I had always liked to talk to anyone and everyone. When I was like 2 years old I used to walk around with my parents in public places shouting- "LADIES AND GENTLEMAN, BOYS AND GIRLS- Now presenting the amazing MEE!" and all of that kinda stuff. I grew up being very sociable. my mother put me in ballet, and I went for a year and a half but never learned anything because i 'went into my own little world' and made up my own dances. it was like that in school too- my teachers being frustrated with me, one teacher gave me the nickname of 'space cadet.'

okay your guys' turn
    "We are all worms, but I do believe I am a glow worm." -WC

I swam in dirty ditches, stole too much, but I think my head was in the right place. There was a teacher who used to bounce girls on his lap too much, if you know what I mean. I knew it was creepy then. So I broke into the school one night and pissed on his desk. Oh, and I liked drawing more then than I do now.

MBTI
    ExFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    I swam in dirty ditches, stole too much, but I think my head was in the right place. There was a teacher who used to bounce girls on his lap too much, if you know what I mean. I knew it was creepy then. So I broke into the school one night and pissed on his desk. Oh, and I liked drawing more then than I do now.
    creepy teacher justice

Quote Originally Posted by imhappytoday View Post
    creepy teacher justice
    I remember that my sense of justice was more giving or something as well. I don't know if I'd do some of the same things. Like I had a friend who had a minor pyromaniac type of problem (I mean, he just liked playing with fire). He got in trouble a couple of times, and I remember his parents were going to send him off to "Boysville", which was like a weird home for troublemaking kids. He got busted again, and I took the fall for him.. told the cops I did everything, just so my friend wouldn't get sent away.

Funnily, I still know this guy, and I don't like him anymore.

Even funnier, he's a firefighter now.

MBTI
    ExFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    I remember that my sense of justice was more giving or something as well. I don't know if I'd do some of the same things. Like I had a friend who had a minor pyromaniac type of problem (I mean, he just liked playing with fire). He got in trouble a couple of times, and I remember his parents were going to send him off to "Boysville", which was like a weird home for troublemaking kids. He got busted again, and I took the fall for him.. told the cops I did everything, just so my friend wouldn't get sent away.

Funnily, I still know this guy, and I don't like him anymore.

Even funnier, he's a firefighter now.
    it's funny growing up and seeing how people change just about as much as it's weird.