User Tag List

Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: What were you like as a child?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Post Thanks / Like

My first words were "That's delicious!"

I was a military kid, so we'd move around every couple of years...which was kind of hard, since it usually takes me a couple of years to get close to someone (unless they make an effort to reach out), so I'd constantly be getting settled and meeting people, only to be ripped away right when I'd finally started making friends. As a result, I spent a lot of time alone when I was a kid. I'd take a toy and go out into nature and make up elaborate stories/worlds for the toy. When I was older, I'd go out into the hills and look for pretty rocks, catch lizards and snakes and frogs, pick blackberries, and watch deer. I had a few friends, but I was never very close to them and didn't interact with other kids a whole lot. It really worried my mom, since someone told her that that was "sociopath" behavior when I was a toddler.

I remember one thing from when I was really little that I still find funny. This was from when I was about 5... I thought girls were supposed to like pink, but I didn't, so I chose to like purple because it was less popular. But then a little while later I realized I hated purple, too, so finally I gave up and decided that I liked green, even though I thought it was a boy color.

When I was about 8, I spent all of my recesses trying to plant more trees by putting dirt and seeds into the top of stumps around the schoolyard, because, I reasoned, if one tree liked growing there, then another one will probably like it, too!

When I was 10, I decided I didn't like my name anymore (well, my nickname, anyway. My mom chose it, and it was very...cutesy), so I decided to change it. I deliberated for a year to decide what I wanted my new nickname to be (my full name has a lot of nicknames associated with it to choose from), then started writing my new name on all of my school papers until people eventually started calling me what I wanted to be called, even my family. (great success!)

In high school, my dad's work settled down and I got to spend all 4 years at the same school. I finally ended up as part of a group of friends! One day, some asshat taped pages of a Playboy magazine all over the lockers because he thought it was funny. I disagreed (a lot of other people did, too, but weren't doing anything about it), so started ripping them down and throwing them away, despite his protests. Somehow after that I became the unofficial "leader" of my group.

I got called a lesbian throughout high school. I didn't know why, since I was not interested in relationships or sex with people of either gender, but I wasn't particularly bothered by it. I discovered chat rooms when I was 16, and had an online boyfriend from Minnesota (I was in California) for the last year of high school (a trend that continued over and over until I finally realized that I wanted a relationship with someone who was in the same state as me).

Oh childhood!

Senior Member Array Chocobo Breeder's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Question What were you like as a child?

Does it match up with your MBTI type now?

Hearing both that personality forms at a very young age (about 3 years old) and also hearing that MBTI testing can give inaccurate results if done before age 20 or so, I thought it would be better to do a little Typology Central experiment rather than look up previous studies online. Please post and give some insight on how MBTI relates to your childhood.

Senior Member Array
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp
    Post Thanks / Like

I was a lot smaller.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Anyway, I think I was pretty ESTJ as a child. I had very little grasp of anything abstract (that has improved over the years) but I was great with facts and figures (that hasn't changed). I could also be pretty bossy and overbearing.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

Frank Pembleton: "How are we gonna find the crime scene? 'I95 past Keith Avenue exit.' That could be anywhere. Whoever took down these directions is an idiot."
    Tim Bayliss: "I took 'em down."
    Frank Pembleton: " I know."

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI
    Post Thanks / Like

I honestly think I was an INFP when I was little as well. Although I was more of a stereotypical INFP back then if that was the case. Basically, of course my personality has changed a bit since I was younger, but I'm not sure that my type would have.

I do think that your type can be difficult to determine when you're younger though.

MBTI
    Fi
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Post Thanks / Like

From a Keirsey perspective I definitely fit the Performer stereotype. I used to tap dance on the coffee table and assault my relatives with my singing. In dance class I was called a "show off" because I'd perform antics in front of the mirror. Later in elementary school, my grandfather's ESTJ wife was fond of calling me "the ham" (as in hamming it up for photos or an audience, not as in portly, I was actually a very slim and small boned child) and later "miss charisma." I recall being put in the front row during dance recitals, and being encouraged by my grandfather to parade around in the old-fashioned girly dresses he bought me. I was in two beauty pageants around the time I hit puberty.

On the other hand, Fi dom seems highly likely because I was very "sensitive" and my mother calls me a nervous child, who was very emotional and clingy ...I also had an early sensitivity toward animals, was quite shy when I first started school (that's the paradox about me in my childhood and teens - great performer, loved being on stage, terrified by one-on-one interaction with strangers) ...I also read a great deal and kind of lived in my own world.

On the other hand, I was also EXTREMELY out-doorsy and active. I was forever playing outside or swimming or riding my bike. I had hula hoops and roller skates and pogo balls. I remember trying to "build a house" out of materials (I didn't get that a house needed a structural framework, I'm guessing that was me having zero Te as a little girl).

I was also very artistic besides performing, writing stories and painting or drawing pictures, and doing crafts like making hook-rugs, or crochet, or cross-stitch. Ummm....I even took a rather early interest in cooking, and was slowly taught to cook starting around age 7 or 8, and was even allowed to "experiment" with my own cookie recipe by my grandfather's ESTJ wife.

I was protective of my own personal space, but wasn't the most organized child in the world. I would say I was neither exceptionally neat nor a total slob. I don't think organization was one of my early skills, though, I remember being harassed to clean my room or put my shoes away all of the time when I was in high school.

When I hit the age of 10 or 11 I was suddenly obsessed with my physical appearance - hair, make-up, grooming, showers, even diet and exercise. It was a huge preoccupation of mine for several years, but that may just have to do with being a girl.

By high school I tried a ton of different clothing styles and hair styles. I don't want to get too much into my teens, because teen years tend to correspond more closely to adult personality.

I did have some weird obsessions, like getting obsessed with the 1950's in the 7th grade, including clothing, hairstyles and music. Even old television shows. Then I started getting obsessed with the Victorians by the time I was about 13.

I danced and played piano for my entire childhood, as well as being a voracious reader, animal lover, and playing outdoors. I also tried playing clarinet, flute, and xylophone, as well as singing in church and competing in choral competitions in middle school.

Oh I should mention I was actually VERY non-confrontational until I was about 15 or 16. Weird, huh? Non-confrontational little Marm. True story.
    and you salute me Miss America, cause I am, I am

The Zen of Moving in Stereo

SEE-Fi /Gamma

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Post Thanks / Like

i actually relate more to this more than the IFP child description. i was very curious, imaginative, loved reading and learning new things. i wouldn't say i was extroverted, but i was definitely more loud and vocal, although i had my shy moments around strangers. i moved a lot (went to 4 different elementary schools), plus i skipped 1st grade so i never really fit in well, but i always managed to make a few friends wherever i was. i liked swimming and riding my bike but was never athletically inclined. i was precocious and learned a lot of things early, my mom and dad used to call me "little buddha" because i'd say things that were wise beyond my years i guess. and ummm.. i was very messy and disorganized, but i still am today.
    aries sun, sagittarius moon, libra rising
    aries mercury, taurus venus, cancer mars

4-7-9

Artisan Conquerer Array Halla74's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chocobo Breeder View Post
    Does it match up with your MBTI type now?

Hearing both that personality forms at a very young age (about 3 years old) and also hearing that MBTI testing can give inaccurate results if done before age 20 or so, I thought it would be better to do a little Typology Central experiment rather than look up previous studies online. Please post and give some insight on how MBTI relates to your childhood.
    My Mother has said many times before that "If Alex was born first, he would not have any siblings."

I tried to be good...sometimes.

-Alex
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

Senior Member Array shortnsweet's Avatar
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE
    Post Thanks / Like

hmm, we're doing this one again? oh well, I like this one anyway.

I was super super shy and quiet when young through maybe about first grade. I used to just spend a lot of time in my own world and with my grandmother. Very smart in the classic sense. Learned to read at about three. Loved sesame street and learning. My doctor laughed at me because I loved playing solitaire. haha. And I had a lazy eye to boot so I had this eye patch for what seemed like an eternity. And the big thick pink plastic glasses of course. Took up half my face. I used to carry around my stuffed animal until I realized that most kids don't do that. I literally had him with me all the time. Snoopy. Had a couple of imaginary friends. Liked to write little stories and try to illustrate them and give them away as presents to my mom and my grandmother. By around 4th grade I came out my shell a bit and I was just really good and nice and friendly. I had a lot of friends, some more geeky/less popular, other's foreign kids who couldn't speak English, some just regular kids or more mainstream. In highschool I was just really silly and hyper with some bouts of severe depression and withdrawal and poetry and the like. I belonged with some preppy/ semi-popular but geeky over achieving girls but had a few more fun and quirky friends, spent a lot of time just acting weird and silly. Pretending to be a locker monster or trying to find creative ways to woo teachers into letting me take the test next week, which often worked. Always did super well in school and was a good kid, but had the bouts of real anger and turmoil and extreme isolation that never lasted more than a few months. I wrote a ton. In school I used to get a lot of awards and stuff and they'd make a big example of my writing, so that was my glory-thing. Never liked clubs or extracurricular activities. Never really excelled in team sports but I did do field hockey and became better over time. I grew up really really poor.

Me in the white shirt with my two homeschooled friends, who are still like sisters to me. I was about 10 in this picture I think.

06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

Glycerine

I was very talkative, liked to read, asked questions, kinda precocious, VERY stubborn, very considerate but with a rebellious streak, sensitive, and bossy.

I am more or less like this but i lost my zest for learning and curiosity about the world once I hit high school. I am more reserved and keep my emotions underwraps. In a way, I think I lost my passion along the way.

Senior Member Array UniqueMixture's Avatar
    MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp
    Post Thanks / Like

As a very young child I was rambunctious, an explorer, quiet, and a comedian. I had a favorite jacket that was huge on me (went down to my knees). I used this jacket to perform skits for my family. My favorite was to pretend to be a pregnant woman and "give birth" to myself (I was very flexible and would flip inside the jacket and come out between my own legs : ) ) ). I was known for climbing trees a lot and I would read books on the neighbor's rooftop. When I was about 8 my brother and I inadvertently burnt down our garage while playing with matches and newspaper inside of it. I liked to read a lot. I remember math made me feel safe because in my children's encyclopedia was a "proof" that vampires could not exist because if a vampire bit one person per day and that person became a vampire that night, then in one month (30 days) 2^29 vampires wouls be created which is more people than the earth contains. Lol
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.