User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    yupp

I sometimes get reps that require I respond sometimes I get like, haha, or hilarious, or you're awesome. Since we both know i'm awesome I don't need to reconfirm that with a reply. However I've been repped with questions which I do respond to. Or sometimes I like the person and decide to respond end up having a 5 hour conversation with them and than realized I've done nothing productive.

on threads sometimes I don't have a response, or my response is oh my god stop being an idiot. which I can't respond with so I don't.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

It's not a sensotard thing. Carve your own style. Respond when you feel it's appropriate.

ThatGirl

Sometimes a simple *mentally noted* is a response.

I get people don't like this, but sometimes that is the only response I have.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    *doesn't respond to Giggly*
    *doesn't laugh and send a rep*

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    Sometimes a simple *mentally noted* is a response.

I get people don't like this, but sometimes that is the only response I have.
    *mentally noted*

garbage

if reps needed a response, they'd have a "reply" button

I figure that, if someone wants a discussion, they'd send me a PM or something

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

Replies and reps are nice to get, but it's not something to worry about too much. An occasional acknowledgement is good.

I think the forum would work better if we all acknowledged posts that were directed directly at us, but that's just an ideal. I ask direct questions to others that I don't get response to sometimes, but hey, it's the internet. And I am terrible at responding too.

Reps, VMs and PMs are awesome. They`re such a personal touch.

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    I think everyone has their own set of rules, based on what's important to them, what they perceive as being usual, their level of self-confidence and how sensitive they are etc.

For me, I try to respond to reps when I can just because I think it's sometimes an informal way of people testing the waters for more contact, or a way of connecting with them. It really depends how busy things are. I don't think people generally expect it unless they've asked a question.

I try to address anyone that writes in my blog because I want them to feel welcome there. Within a thread, I think most people like the feeling of being acknowledged or quoted or being responded to in some way, but I don't think it would be considered rude if you didn't.

That's just my own set of rules though.
    Read Fidelia gets LOADS of reps :-p
    Last edited by fidelia; 02-21-2011 at 06:56 PM. Reason: correction to smily didnt work

I like this thread, I've been visiting forums from way back in the ninties when it was moderated bulletin boards but always wondered about the ettiquette for online communication, that was back before trolls had properly been identified as a phenomenon, I remember someone linking a great piece on nettiquette once which was the first coining of the term but there were just so many terms which didnt survive along with that of troll which were just as good.

Like big dogging and me tooing.