User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Default How does written expression help you?

I was thinking about how much expression helps people. As in, it's like therapeutic and cathartic and you get feedback from other people sometimes. And then I got to thinking about how writing in particular might help people. Some people say they express themselves better through writing than through speech. I wonder if it's because when you write, you feel like your thoughts are more private at the moment you write them, or because talking makes you have to think more than writing? I'm not sure which is the case for me. I may not be asking this question clearly because I don't always express my thoughts clearly in writing but I'm practicing that.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

It helps me to clarify my thoughts, as well as edit and revise sentences until they express what I intend to convey, in the manner I intend to convey it. When I try to speak in person, I'm usually sort of slow, and I often end up responding to everything with a vague or polite response rather than anything meaningful. Often I don't even have a clear idea of what I'm talking about until after I've already responded, because I need to respond so much faster than the more logical part of my brain can process things. I don't seem even remotely intelligent in person, IMO. Writing also makes it easier to express things that I would be uncomfortable expressing verbally.

From the Undertow CuriousFeeling's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII

Writing allows me to express my thoughts as clearly and concisely as possible. Whenever I am speaking, sometimes I ramble on and on, and it can be so annoying when I had the thought I want to express clear in my mind but have a heck of a time elaborating it precisely enough. Roundabout explanations can be frustrating. Writing weeds through the knotted thought process I've got. It gets the point across to another person better than how I speak!

Writing in general is therapeutic, helps me to express my emotions and solve problems.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Johari/Nohari

“Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings -- always darker, emptier and simpler.”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

My ability to speak to others is not a strong skill of mine, nor will it ever be in the future, no matter how much I improve upon it. Writing, to me has become my new voice; it is my main method of transfering information to others in the greatest manner possible. Unlike with the act of physical talk, I can sepnd an extra moment deciding my words, crafting my sentences, shaping my tone, etc. I can express my emotions, logic, and inner personality in way I never could though physical talk. Oh where would I be without the written word? Arguments become so much more precise because of it, apologies so much more convincing because of it, ideas fo much more interesting because of it.

Written expression reveals a true self onto others that normally may not be seen, clarifying relations between myself and to those whom I discuss with. It brings forth a harmony that I could not do without. The written word, it is my voice, I hope never to lose it.

MBTI
    INFP

Posting to forums or some other social medium that is discussion-oriented feels so good to me. I get to express things that never have an opportunity to get out, things I don't even think about until they're brought up. I prefer to write because it allows me to be more thoughtful as far as my manner of delivery is concerned.

ThatGirl

If I am upset or in a mood where I am frustrated with my ability to express something, I start writing.

At first I am trying to flood the thoughts down on paper as quickly and they are building up in my mind, but since that it damned near impossible, I find myself having to slow my thoughts down, just so I can finish writing a single sentence.

This causes my mind to slow down, and think about which sentences are more important than others. Editing my thoughts into more simplistic forms.

Then when I go back and re read it, I am like, hm.....so that was the point.

As far as communicating with others. Depends, sometimes I would write letters back and forth especially if it is concerning a debatable subjectively emotional topic. Other times, I need real time response, and feel a lot gets lost in translation while taking the time to write.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Commonly it tends to differ with the Extravertion/Introvertion preference. It is far more probable you will be able to empathise with the extravert's emotions as you speak to them than the introvert. Understanding the emotions of an introvert tends to be far more easy to do in their writings as it gives them space to layout their thoughts with much less hassle of the outside world. And because introverts tend to be far more used to taking their time in their thoughts before expressing it outwardly you may find them tending to be better at the writing aspect in difference to the extraverts.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Writing helps me better organize my thoughts and a clear and concise manner. I don't always think well on my feet and in conversation will realize later that there are things I failed to mention. With writing, I can formulate a well thought out reply and make sure I've said everything I want to say in the manner I choose.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

it helps me very much. when i am speaking, there's little space for me to be able to take the crazy stream of consciousness running through my brain and organize it into a format that highlights what is most important. writing allows me to logically order my thoughts, and that change in juxtaposition of ideas shows me things i did not realize. it's cathartic in that i can pour out a mess of emotion and clutter and reorganize and refine to get down to the essence.

what oakysage about people being better able to empathize with extraverts' emotions during speaking is probably true, though i think for me that sometimes can cloud what i want to communicate. frustrating when people are like, oh she's cute and she's sweet... omg and she's smart too! i have to work hard not to come across as a bubbly little girl. too bad it's like trying to throw a bedsheet over a lightbulb

but when i communicate in writing, i can create the person i want to come across as.

ReflecTcelfeR

Writing allows me to be succinct.