User Tag List

First 123 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 26

  1. #11
    meinmeinmein! mmhmm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,300

    Default

    i usually never know what i'm writing... until i've already finished writing it.
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

  2. #12
    Senior Member tinker683's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Posts
    2,663

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    I was thinking about how much expression helps people. As in, it's like therapeutic and cathartic and you get feedback from other people sometimes. And then I got to thinking about how writing in particular might help people. Some people say they express themselves better through writing than through speech. I wonder if it's because when you write, you feel like your thoughts are more private at the moment you write them, or because talking makes you have to think more than writing? I'm not sure which is the case for me. I may not be asking this question clearly because I don't always express my thoughts clearly in writing but I'm practicing that.
    The bolded.

    In real life I'm actually very quiet unless I get comfortable enough to speech, then I don't like to talk too much because I worry I'm boring the other person

    In letters and online though, I can say things that I would otherwise have a very difficult time saying out loud because to write it out makes it sort of impersonal (and thereby easier) for me.

    Not sure if that's a confidence thing or Type related
    "The man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it."
    ― Woodrow Wilson

  3. #13
    Senior Member Thisica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    384

    Default

    Two things:
    1) It gets a lot of things in my head out of there: I usually have too many thoughts to cope with, so I try to [sometimes successfully] outsource them to the world. The immediate world becomes for me an external hard drive.
    2) It allows me to express my feelings in productive ways, rather than stew over them [as an internal analyst that I am] with the result being that of an unhappy person.
    “To explain all nature is too difficult a task for any one man or even for any one age. 'Tis much better to do a little with certainty, & leave the rest for others that come after you, than to explain all things by conjecture without making sure of any thing.”—Statement from unpublished notes for the Preface to the Opticks (1704) by Newton.

    What do you think about me? And for the darker side, here.

  4. #14
    Freaking Ratchet Rail Tracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,041

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    I was thinking about how much expression helps people. As in, it's like therapeutic and cathartic and you get feedback from other people sometimes. And then I got to thinking about how writing in particular might help people. Some people say they express themselves better through writing than through speech. I wonder if it's because when you write, you feel like your thoughts are more private at the moment you write them, or because talking makes you have to think more than writing? I'm not sure which is the case for me. I may not be asking this question clearly because I don't always express my thoughts clearly in writing but I'm practicing that.
    Talking requires me to think more as I have to lay out what I want to say to someone. On top of that, I also have to worry about my choice of words. Though, this does apply less when it comes to people I am comfortable with. There is also the issue of seeing a person/group of people face to face as I express myself verbally. What kind of impression am I giving off?

    Writing, on the other hand, I get to see what I think. It also allows me to format my thoughts in a "correct" manner for others to read. In places like this forum, it allows me to put my thoughts with time. Heck, you may perceive me one way, but I could VERY well be a completely different person than you think I am.

    In places, say... something more personal, the words do not need to be edited. Which is a good thing when I am constantly editing what comes out of my mouth every day.

  5. #15
    The Duchess of Oddity Queen Kat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    E.T.
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Posts
    3,116

    Default

    I write fiction books and to be honest I started writing books out of pure poverty. To be honest I wanted to be an actress when I was younger, because that meant I could hook up with famous movie stars. So at the age of ten I started taking acting classes and it turned out I was pretty good. People used to give me lots of compliments about my acting, but I didn't really feel challenged in those classes. We performed some shows and I thought the shows were pretty boring. They usually took a dramatic children's book about some pedagogic subject (like bad friends and shit) and then I had to play someone's mother, because I was the only one who had boobs. Then I decided to write my own plays and to perform those at school. I don't exactly know what was a bigger success, my acting or my plays. Then I went to high school and all of the sudden I didn't have the opportunity to perform my plays anymore, because there was no one who wanted to perform in a play or make a movie and the school had nothing for people who liked to do these drama things, so I just wrote everything down and waited for some big day in the future. Meanwhile I had to stop my acting classes, because my teachers thought I used those classes to work on my betraying skills and "make everyone think I'm a nice girl while I'm absolutely not". I did perform once a year, at a theater contest and I always wrote my own play for that. There it turned out my acting was getting worse, but on the other hand my writing was getting better. So I kept writing and I stopped doing any kind of acting. So I kept writing plays and I actually wanted to go to the movie academy to become a screanwriter, but if I wanted to sign up for that academy I had to send a movie I had made and I hadn't made a movie yet, nor did I have people who wanted to help me with that. I went searching for movie producer who I could send screanplays to, but every website said they'd destroy all screanplays they didn't ask for. And so I ended up writing books and now I'm searching someone who'd publish my shit. It's gonna be very hard. Oh, and I am also searching for an alias to publish under because no one would read a book written by some chick with a hooker name. A very pompous, weird and masculine alias, like "Dionysus Hangover" (Dionysus means "drunk", for those who don't know).
    I was sitting outside the classroom waiting to go in, and I saw an airplane hit the tower. The TV was obviously on. I used to fly myself and I said, "There's one terrible pilot."
    - George W. Bush -


    SCUAI - 7w8 sx/sp - Chaotic Evil - Fucking Cute - ALIVE

    Blog. Read it, bitches.
    Questions? Click here
    If you don't agree about my MBTI type, you can complain about it here. I've had plenty of people telling me I'm something else, in my reputation box. That's annoying.

  6. #16
    Feline Member kelric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    INtP
    Posts
    2,169

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    Some people say they express themselves better through writing than through speech.
    I'm definitely one of these people. Writing allows me to be concise and accurate in what I want to say in ways that speech doesn't. Often my thoughts are more of a tangled jumble of connections rather than a linear train-of-thought, and writing allows me to go back, fill in the gaps, clarify, and make tangential observations (my predilection for parentheses ) to produce a finished product that's pretty close to what I want to say.

    Oddly, I do well enough when speaking in front of a group or in a formal setting. But when we're talking (heh) just a normal conversation, I stumble, get tongue-tied, and all but stutter sometimes. Some of that's getting tangled up in half-formed thoughts, some of that's just feeling "in the headlights".

    I'm not sure that my writing is particularly comprehensible sometimes, but I do feel that it's a more accurate representation of what I'm trying to convey than I can muster up when speaking.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  7. #17
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,122

    Default

    In general, I'm better off communicating in person because I KNOW what expressions, tones of voice and body language to use to get my point across and a lot of my communication style depends on watching those I'm talking to for instant feedback and then working with what I see... however...

    Quote Originally Posted by disregard View Post
    Posting to forums or some other social medium that is discussion-oriented feels so good to me. I get to express things that never have an opportunity to get out, things I don't even think about until they're brought up.
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  8. #18
    Senior Member chachamaru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    ?
    Socionics
    EXPP
    Posts
    451

    Default

    Best option for me: talk through before or while writing. Proof read to edit or clarify concepts. This way is my best form of communication.
    a cat is fine too

  9. #19
    don't fence me in sui generis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    esTJ
    Enneagram
    875 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESTx
    Posts
    746

    Default

    I love writing It's the best way for me to deal with feelings, since I can be uncensored and not have to worry about others' judgments of what I'm saying. (I'm not exaggerating when I say that writing has saved my life.) It helps me to get perspective on issues-- when I write about things that are bothering me, I am more able to see what is bullshit and what isn't, sort things out mentally, and go forward. I kept a journal, religiously, every night, from about age 13 til age 23. I'd really like to get back into that habit now, but every time I have tried, I have failed.

    Writing is also easier than speaking when I've got something important to say to someone else-- I can think about my word choice carefully, revise it a hundred times, and then send the best version out to the other person. This is very different from talking, wherein I'm likely to just say the first thing that comes to mind, however inappropriate, and then try to dig myself out of the hole I've created.
    Murphy Brown: What is it with us? Why can't we take the easy road once in awhile?
    Avery Brown: Because it's boring and dishonest and uncomfortable, like wearing a pair of shoes all day that pinch your feet.

    approx 55% ES, 90% TJ

  10. #20
    No moss growing on me Giggly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so
    Posts
    9,666

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oakysage View Post
    Commonly it tends to differ with the Extravertion/Introvertion preference. It is far more probable you will be able to empathise with the extravert's emotions as you speak to them than the introvert. Understanding the emotions of an introvert tends to be far more easy to do in their writings as it gives them space to layout their thoughts with much less hassle of the outside world. And because introverts tend to be far more used to taking their time in their thoughts before expressing it outwardly you may find them tending to be better at the writing aspect in difference to the extraverts.
    I'm starting to think that it is an extravert/introvert thing like you say. Now I'm confused about my own I/E preference. Maybe I'm an extravert because I prefer speaking over writing, but I think writing is a more valuable form of expression.


    Quote Originally Posted by tinker683 View Post
    The bolded.

    In real life I'm actually very quiet unless I get comfortable enough to speech, then I don't like to talk too much because I worry I'm boring the other person

    In letters and online though, I can say things that I would otherwise have a very difficult time saying out loud because to write it out makes it sort of impersonal (and thereby easier) for me.

    Not sure if that's a confidence thing or Type related
    Yeah. When I write, it feels like I'm talking to myself, which makes me feel weird.

Similar Threads

  1. How does this song make you feel?
    By Abbey in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-31-2013, 07:41 PM
  2. How does TypeC matter to you?
    By fidelia in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 01-05-2010, 09:21 AM
  3. [NF] How does unresolved conflict affect you?
    By fidelia in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 06-21-2009, 11:46 AM
  4. How does my avatar make you feel?
    By swordpath in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 04-15-2009, 08:26 AM
  5. How does this image make you feel? V.3
    By swordpath in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 12-23-2008, 03:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO