User Tag List

123 Last

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Default When someone has lots of pictures of themselves in their house

Have you noticed this? What kind of impression does it give you? What if it was someone you were dating, you went back to theirs and you noticed this?

You go to someone's house, and they don't just have a few pictures up of themselves with friends, or whatever. If it's a woman, she's got pictures scattered everywhere of herself looking particularly glamorous and model-like. If it's a man, he's got a couple of large montages of himself looking particularly handsome or engaged in manly deeds. And, in both cases, these pictures are mostly of just them, not them and their families or friends.

I've had both experiences, though not with people I knew terribly well. (Not with someone I was dating...well, actually, come to think of it, my insecure ex-bf had a number of pics of himself up...but to be fair, I think they were mostly of him with friends.) There's just something a little...off about it. It seems a bit egotistical/insecure? I mean, these were people who are single and live alone. I live alone and while I might have a couple or a few pictures of myself up they would probably be with friends. I would find it strange to come home to my empty apartment day after day and look at a big montage of photos of myself (especially, just myself), or find them scattered everywhere.

Then again, I'm on Facebook and have quite a few tagged pictures of myself, so maybe I'm just being judgmental. But most of those as well are pictures of me with others. Or they're pictures of my travels and I want to remember myself in those places, and anyway my parents are very disappointed if I travel and don't bring back pics of myself...

Anyway, just wanted to see what others thought of this or particularly if you had any funny stories/experiences on the subject.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

Phantonym

I've always thought that it is a bit strange/creepy but I guess I don't really understand the personal significance of this kind of behaviour. Personally, I don't even want to look at myself in a mirror on a daily basis, let alone have loads of pictures around. But I guess they get something out of it, and it's their home, so go for it.

Maybe it's about reminding yourself of the time you felt particularly good about yourself or you accomplished something, so taking a picture and then looking at it later on acts as a reminder of that emotion. Maybe for some it's a way of controlling something they value, like seeing yourself in that picture helps you to keep up with any kind of thing you're trying to keep up with. Or something like that.

Dali

I feel the same way I do about people that have their pics as their desktop wallpaper, in their wallet and and/or on their desk at work; that there's an element of self-absorption and/or insecurity about them and, although we may be friends, it won't be a deep friendship and I don't see myself dating them either. I won't refuse to date them just because they have pics of themselves all over; I just don't see myself ever dating the specific people I know/see that do the above.

Fortunately for me (with the possible exception of one ESFJ), I don't see any of my close friends (or my ENFP romantic interest, for that matter) being that way.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

May it be extended to member who post their pictures as their avatars? If it can they may be able to answer you.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Oakysage View Post
    May it be extended to member who post their pictures as their avatars? If it can they may be able to answer you.
    That's not quite as bad, is it? Well, I wouldn't have thought so. But let's see if anyone weighs in.

I have to admit that I have occasionally had a desktop pic with myself on my laptop at home. Always travel pics, that's my excuse. Or sometimes with friends. Maybe I'm the pot calling the kettle black.

I guess the whole "loads of flattering photos of myself and only myself on my walls" thing just seems both vain/insecure, and openly vain, to me. It's a rather public form of self-absorption, at least when you have anyone over to your house. I mean, though I don't have many up myself, I could more understand having loads of pictures of yourself with family and friends on your walls. But it's the "lots of pictures of just me" thing that confuses me.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

It probably means they're unhealthy enneagram 3's, and are very focused on image.

"Level 6: Want to impress others with their superiority: constantly promoting themselves, making themselves sound better than they really are. Narcissistic, with grandiose, inflated notions about themselves and their talents. Exhibitionistic and seductive, as if saying "Look at me!" Arrogance and contempt for others is a defense against feeling jealous of others and their success. "

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Nah, having a pic of yourself as an avatar isn't the same thing. That's just how you choose to project yourself. It's totally different than having a posterized Andy Wharholesque montage of yourself in the bathroom.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    I have to admit that I have occasionally had a desktop pic with myself on my laptop at home...
    I really like that sentence. It makes me imagine a frame within a frame. A pic of you on your laptop on your laptop...

It seems a bit strange if they aren't doing anything in the pics. Just looking good. Reading through the thread I started wondering whether a big mirror or a big photo on the ceiling was more narcissistic. Depends on hobbies too, take a photo a day seems like a cool hobby. If it was something like that I'd let them off the hook. All depends...

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Qlippoth View Post
    Nah, having a pic of yourself as an avatar isn't the same thing. That's just how you choose to project yourself. It's totally different than having a posterized Andy Wharholesque montage of yourself in the bathroom.
    I noticed that you changed "kitchen" to "bathroom". That much worse, eh?
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    I noticed that you changed "kitchen" to "bathroom". That much worse, eh?
    Caught that, eh? Just thought the sentence would be more fun with a venue change.