User Tag List

First 456

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I never really took a lot of notice of, or, passed judgement, I guess, on other people having pictures of themselves around their home. Everyone has their reasons, you know.

They're not really hurting anything, so, I don't know, I just kind of disregard it as nothing more than humans being themselves, having fun, catering to whatever needs the pictures satisfy. It's easy to oversimplify, dismiss things like this as some sort of vain or insecure thing, or some sense of materialism you might not relate to. Something else negative or positive, depending on how your own self biases influence your judgement. Generalizations get messy when you zero in on individuals, and their motivations. Sure, there are common drives, pattern, motivations, etc. But they're typically arranged in such a variety of multidimensional ways.. well, who am I to draw conclusions from one characteristic of how they choose to keep their personal space?

I've never had any like, pictures of myself I hung up in my own places. The only photos I ever kept were from childhood, growing up with my brother [he died back in '03, & my dad in '94]. I don't have them all out, but, I have them since they exist, and if something happened to them, well, such is life.. I let them go as all things are transient. I hardly even really look at them, but, I do have to admit, like, seeing those and my 3 home movies, like shadows of memories of voices I won't ever hear again, you know, those things are bittersweet, and the love I feel for the time I had with them outweighs the pain, infinitely. Those images of myself within those settings are just, yeah, they're me, I dunno, don't really care. I'm still here, I'm still going to be here.

There are a couple hanging around in my mom's house, and my past truly feels like lifetimes ago. Echoes of dreams of someone else's past, it's, odd. Not bad. Just surreal. So much of life has a surrealistic quality for me, at times. Can't complain; makes things interesting.

Only other thing of myself I would hang if I had, were a few like, publicity photos from plays/musicals I was in. Scenes, etc. They weren't like, just myself, it was more like a whole big picture thing, and something I cherished, etc. Again, nothing I really felt like I required, but, yeah, if I had copies, I'd likely have some cool ones up for, I dunno, posterity. Motivation to keep going, not look back. The things we carry should help us to keep going.

I, uh, might have a lot of pictures of my cat.
    ..but they're all in my phone.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

My ESTJ stepdad and I got into a discussion about this kind of thing. When my dad died, I wrote a poem about it. My mother showed it to everybody we knew and I was absolutely mortified. My stepdad wrote a poem when his dad died -- and he's got it framed and hanging on the wall. His point of view is, if you accomplished something, why not be proud of it? And being proud of an accomplishment means showing it to people. Ditto my mother has her modeling pictures hanging on the wall (but to give her credit, they're not all over the house, just in her sewing room). It makes me cringe to think of having pictures of myself up in my own house. My parents' point of view would be "You look good in this picture, why don't you put it up so people can see it?" and they think I have an inferiority complex. But my point of view is ... I don't care what people think. Other people's approval is the last thing on my mind.

So, analyzing all that, I don't know who's more egotistical.

But I don't think it's necessarily that they're narcissists, just that they are so extroverted they don't understand wanting to have anything private.

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    My ESTJ stepdad and I got into a discussion about this kind of thing. When my dad died, I wrote a poem about it. My mother showed it to everybody we knew and I was absolutely mortified. My stepdad wrote a poem when his dad died -- and he's got it framed and hanging on the wall. His point of view is, if you accomplished something, why not be proud of it? And being proud of an accomplishment means showing it to people. Ditto my mother has her modeling pictures hanging on the wall (but to give her credit, they're not all over the house, just in her sewing room). It makes me cringe to think of having pictures of myself up in my own house. My parents' point of view would be "You look good in this picture, why don't you put it up so people can see it?" and they think I have an inferiority complex. But my point of view is ... I don't care what people think. Other people's approval is the last thing on my mind.

So, analyzing all that, I don't know who's more egotistical.

But I don't think it's necessarily that they're narcissists, just that they are so extroverted they don't understand wanting to have anything private.
    ^^My mom took the eulogy thing I'd wrtten when my brother died.. stayed up watching the sun rise as I'd finished it. I'd thrown it away after the funeral; I had no need to save it.. it was meant to be said, & absorbed in that moment. She xeroxed it, and mailed it around to my extended family who wanted copies because they thought it was oh so poigniant or something. I felt kind of violated and disgusted, but I do realize some people like tangible tokens to, hold on to things. I just don't want them to involve something I put a lot of personal..stuff.. into. Lesson learned, though, don't leave things hanging around if you don't want them on display, regardless of reasons.

Man.. everyone has their reasons.. but we're all chasing the same thing.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.