User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Qlippoth View Post
    Caught that, eh? Just thought the sentence would be more fun with a venue change.
    It made me laugh the first time...then it made me laugh more when I noticed you'd changed it!
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    It probably means they're unhealthy enneagram 3's, and are very focused on image.

"Level 6: Want to impress others with their superiority: constantly promoting themselves, making themselves sound better than they really are. Narcissistic, with grandiose, inflated notions about themselves and their talents. Exhibitionistic and seductive, as if saying "Look at me!" Arrogance and contempt for others is a defense against feeling jealous of others and their success. "
    Are unhealthy e3s supposed to be quite insecure under it all? Projecting an air of confidence but insecure? I would wonder about that with the photo thing.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    NSFW
    Enneagram
    6w7

Is it something like narcissism--in love with a projected image of themselves? Or perhaps, taking a more innocent spin, they are just inspired by the projected image of the self they want to be?

I do have a couple of narcissistically-inclined friends though (interestingly enough they are type 3s) and they do this. It's head-tilting behaviour. Must ask them why one day.. they don't see anything strange about it.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    Are unhealthy e3s supposed to be quite insecure under it all? Projecting an air of confidence but insecure? I would wonder about that with the photo thing.
    Yes, I kind of think that's how they are. If you read about them, it will make sense. What you described would be almost archetypical in some way.

Quote Originally Posted by sciski View Post
    Is it something like narcissism--in love with a projected image of themselves? Or perhaps, taking a more innocent spin, they are just inspired by the projected image of the self they want to be?
    It's something like that, I think... they're very unaware of their inner selves, and very focused on projecting an image of themselves being a certain way. They're usually even fooling themselves, and the pictures might be part of the facade they've built to keep reminding themselves of who they "are."

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by sciski View Post

I do have a couple of narcissistically-inclined friends though (interestingly enough they are type 3s) and they do this. It's head-tilting behaviour. Must ask them why one day.. they don't see anything strange about it.
    One of the people I noticed it with was a slightly older guy. The montages were a) of a mountain climbing trip he took, and b) a bunch of pictures from when he was younger (and wilder/less respectable looking than he is now!)

I could kind of understand the mountain climbing thing, because he had pictures on the summit and whatnot, and anyone might have a sense of accomplishment about that. I think it was just the fact that there were several pictures and I think they were all of just him. The pictures of him when he was younger, well, I wondered about that. I sort of had the impression that he had mixed feelings about his past - like, he'd turned his back on it in a lot of ways but still hankered back to it. Or he was trying to recapture his younger years, or that was still kind of how he saw himself, or something...

With one or two women whose houses I've visited, it was more the model-like pictures scattered about. Professionally done sort of pics. Family photos done in a studio I can totally understand. Pictures of just you, that seems like another thing. I don't really know them well enough to be sure but I think maybe they'd gone through some pretty hard times in their life and were trying really hard to feel better about themselves.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    That's not quite as bad, is it? Well, I wouldn't have thought so. But let's see if anyone weighs in.

I have to admit that I have occasionally had a desktop pic with myself on my laptop at home. Always travel pics, that's my excuse. Or sometimes with friends. Maybe I'm the pot calling the kettle black.

I guess the whole "loads of flattering photos of myself and only myself on my walls" thing just seems both vain/insecure, and openly vain, to me. It's a rather public form of self-absorption, at least when you have anyone over to your house. I mean, though I don't have many up myself, I could more understand having loads of pictures of yourself with family and friends on your walls. But it's the "lots of pictures of just me" thing that confuses me.
    Desktop pics are not as public as avatars. I can understand. Just generally nice to look at. Yes, I can see how posting all those self pictures may bear themselves a self-absorbed trait. Though there may be other reasons. Perhaps depression and clinging to a certain past point they found enjoyable. The roots could show themselves many different interesting things.

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

It depends on the person and the circumstances. With other people in the picture, friends and family, I'd say it was a form of connection. Themselves in glamour photos....screams egotisical. Photos with just you in past memories...if I had access to those photos, I would stick them some where, you know like my graduation (from university) photo, photos of when I did theatre productions etc, etc, because those were good memories. Although I wouldn't put them somewhere prominent.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

My mom used to keep a prom picture of me and my ex in the bathroom, which I always found comedic.

I'd probably point it out to them and ask them why, put them on the spot. Their answer would tell me a lot about them.

pictures in my apartment are like the ones in my facebook albums.
    me me me me me me me
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

MBTI
    INFP

My boyfriend and I don't have any pictures up at our houses. We don't have facebook. We don't take pictures of each other, or of ourselves when we're together.

We're just not photogenic. lol

Except, our college IDs turned out nicely.