User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    istp

Default present an argument as to why you are your type

present reasons as to why you think you are the type you are. i would suggest correlating information from a type profile to real life examples of what you've done and how you think. hopefully you understand the MBTI well enough that it won't just be "cause the test said so".

it is not uncommon for people to mistype themselves and thus not uncommon for people to doubt the accuracy other peoples' types. let me be clear that the point of this is not to "prove" you are a type (since none of them are inherently better than the others) but to try to help us better understand what each of the types really look like and thus increase the accuracy of the type people claim to be.

through this, we will also see others' argument and perhaps be exposed to the fact that you don't really have a good idea why we are "XXXX", or that you may not even be what you thought you were. who knows!

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

Serendipity! This is something I've been thinking about since last weekend. In particular, are we born this way or conditioned? I'm not prepared, just yet, to state my speculations as they pertain to myself but will later and will be watching this thread with great interest... thanks for starting it.

MBTI
    ISTx

Cursed.

lol

MBTI
    INTJ

No takers yet? This is a great thread topic, IMO.

Description quotes from Enspired Profiles:

INTJs often appear to others first and foremost as thinking types. This is because thinking in all its forms - from critiquing to prioritizing - is what INTJs most readily do when engaged with others. But, at heart, they are primarily ideas people. When they spend time reflecting, INTJs find connections, operate on hunches, theorize and cultivate their vision. Unlike their outer life which is usually fairly structured and controlled, their inner life can sometimes seem a chaotic maelstrom of possibilities and ideas.

Of all the types, INTJs are most motivated by 'vision'. They have a great need to come up with a unified idea of a future, improved state, which it is then their job to realize. This inner vision can be so strong and individual for INTJs that they are often reckoned to be the most independent-minded of all the types. In other words, they will sometimes cling stubbornly to what they 'know' to be true and they will refuse to listen to others.

However, of all the N types, INTJs can sometimes be very good on detail if it is related in some way to the attainment of their bigger goal or if they feel their competence may be at stake in some way. Proofreading documents is a case in point. In these cases they will go all out to ensure there are no mistakes.

But relationships with others can present a difficulty for INTJs. They know they cannot achieve their vision alone and they can drive others towards the same exacting standards that they use for themselves. This can cause resentment (...)
    I offer these threads as illustrative evidence:

Echoes of Eco and Mutters of Others - in which my visible thinking and my willingness to get into the details of exchanges are remarked upon and in which I later operate on a hunch that turns out to be true. ()
    INXJ closed-minded certitude - in which I acknowledge my tendencies to be enslaved to my subjective insights.
    Questions for the madmins - in which I hold others to my exacting standards, thus causing resentment.

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    No takers yet?
    Sure:

Questions for the madmins - in which I hold others to my exacting standards, thus causing resentment.
    More like you imagine that's the case. Which would make you an S, in my opinion.

In other words, I think you should disassociate yourself from wanting to be the INTJ profile and give the ISTJ profile a new, fresh look.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

It is much easier to disprove something than to prove something. Thus, I think it would be more fitting to prove that you are a particular type by disproving that you are another particular type.
    "The mathematician's patterns, like the painter's or the poet's must be beautiful; the ideas like the colours or the words, must fit together in a harmonious way. Beauty is the first test: there is no permanent place in the world for ugly mathematics..." - G.H. Hardy

"Another roof, another proof." - Paul Erdős

INTJ (I = 100, N = 100, T = 88, J = 43)
    Solitary/Idiosyncratic, 5w6 sp/sx
    RL(x)EI (RlxE|I|)- Inquisitive Dominant
    Reserved Idealist
    ILI-Ni/INTp

MBTI
    INTJ

Oh, that reminds me, the Questions for the madmins thread also illustrates this point from TypeLogic:

Whatever system an INTJ happens to be working on is for them the equivalent of a moral cause to an INFJ; both perfectionism and disregard for authority may come into play, as INTJs can be unsparing of both themselves and the others on the project. Anyone considered to be "slacking," including superiors, will lose their respect - and will generally be made aware of this (...)
    Thanks, Haight.

---

Quote Originally Posted by Merkw View Post
    It is much easier to disprove something than to prove something. Thus, I think it would be more fitting to prove that you are a particular type by disproving that you are another particular type.
    I refer you to the OP:

Quote Originally Posted by Grayscale View Post
    let me be clear that the point of this is not to "prove" you are a type (...) but to try to help us better understand what each of the types really look like

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

If you can prove that personality types actually exists... maybe I can try... but other than that. No. I'm INF because people say I am... because the list of traits/cognitive processes appears to fit me. Could be barnum's effect for all I know. Afterall, the human mind is highly persuadable.

Edit: Not sure why I felt snappish. I'll give this a try...

MBTI is based on dichotomies. I'm going to assume that they exist probably along the lines of a continuum that has been artificially cut off. So my "type" would be nothing more than where my personality lies within the 4 axis.

I vs E - mouse is I. You don't need me to prove this do you? Demonstration on how much I live inside my mind?
    N vs S - I think in patterns, unconsciously relating everything together however abstract such connections might be. Again according to the theory, that puts me as an N more than S.
    T vs F - For the most part people matters to me... perhaps not people themselves, but their potentials. I usually have that in mind. F has been associated to orientation to people. If you go by values vs logic. I'm afraid I'll be half and half.
    J vs P - Big question mark lol! I think I'm more J than P...

With that said, personality profile...

I said already that people matter to me. Both people I'm close to as well as the idea of people in the society in general. Most actions are looked upon as having implications. It's an unconscious thing for me to do, evaluating the possible events that can be triggered from one decision. The mind has an ideal... of an ideal world where everything and everyone can reach their potentials. You can say most actions are driven by this nonsensical notion. For the mind knows it is not attainable, yet it still wish to try getting reality that much closer to it.

The other part is the complexity in understanding and integrating everything together. The models inside the mind is never complete. Does that make me an Ni dominant or a P? I'm not sure.

The last part is balance. Sometimes I'm serious, sometimes I'm silly. Paradox without contradictions is what I really wish to be. I'm not sure how that compares to other INFJ/Ps

MBTI
    INTj

Thanks, Haight.
    (You can thank me after this post.)

Did you see this, Economica? It explains the same thing, but with greater accuracy:

ISTJs are often called inspectors. They have a keen sense of right and wrong, especially in their area of interest and/or responsibility. They are noted for devotion to duty.

Effusive expression of emotional warmth is not something that ISTJs do without considerable energy loss.

ISTJs are easily frustrated by the inconsistencies of others, especially when the second parties don't keep their commitments. But they usually keep their feelings to themselves unless they are asked. And when asked, they don't mince words. Truth wins out over tact. The grim determination of the ISTJ vindicates itself in officiation of sports events, judiciary functions, or an other situation which requires making tough calls and sticking to them.

Feel free to go ahead and change your sig. I won't laugh, because ISTJs are people too.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Sigh... yup, no surprises here on how this thread is turning. [Sorta soury.]

A very valiant effort, tho.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft