• Introverted
      • I'm a loner.
      • I don't like dealing with people.
      • I have social anxiety.
      • I despise smalltalk.
    • Intuitive
      • I am a visionary.
      • I pride having a vivid imagination.
      • I have a habit of looking at things a different way.
      • I enjoy coming up with ideas and insights for fun.
    • Thinking
      • I am highly logical.
      • I despise emotions.
      • I am highly critical and unbiased.
      • I enjoy intellectual discussions.
    • Judging
      • I hate deviance from the plan.
      • I need to be in control of a situation.
      • I do not like unexpected changes.
      • I pretty much follow a routine everyday.

MBTI
    INTP

I'll try to do this from a logical process of elimination.

The first thing I knew about myself, before I'd even heard about MBTI, was that I was an introvert. I've always hated being around people for long periods of time and crave time to myself. Before even hearing the term "introvert", I had come to conclusions in my youth that some people are charged from within and others without, and that I belonged to the former group. I get a powerful sense of myself from my ego that charges me.

The next thing that seemed obvious to me was that I was definitely not a sensor. I have a negligible command for details and little interest in sensory pursuits. I am not interested in material worth and thinking about my personal health terrifies me. Intuition, on the other hand, is my idea of fun. I regularly enjoy brainstorming sessions and excel in conversations about nothing that come to nothing.

But even though I love questioning absolutes, I believe I have a very poor Ni function. Ni seems to be about internally improving yourself and sometimes destroys the cynical. (Correct if I'm wrong here, Ni is the function I have the hardest time explaining) But I have no interest in improving who I am and will clutch to my cynicism until the last breath leaves my body. If cynicism were a loaded weapon I would sleep with it on my pillow.

From this horrible internal debate, I hope it can be seen that I am an INXP.

Finally, the T. It sometimes seems that one person's Ti is another person's Fi, albeit from conflicting definitions. The dominant function is also supposed to be the harder to see in yourself than your auxiliary, and an analogy I've heard that I appreciate is that it is like "asking a fish to describe water." But I'll attempt it.

Thinking vs. Feeling is sometimes seen as Objectivism vs. Subjectivism. And though it is almost a kind of buzz-word for thinking, I have always tried to pursue an objective view of the world. Whenever I try to judge the actions of a horrible tragedy, war or corruption, I try to view it from the point of view of an alien circling Earth's orbit.

Or I imagine that people involved in the situation have been shrunk down to being dung beetles and think about Richard Attenborough's possible narrative of events.

"And here the Americanised Dung Beetle launches an attack on the neighbouring Arabian Beetle, in an attempt to get their supply of the rich oils they posess. Without this oil, each group would surely die."
    (Not an actual opinion, just example)

When I was young I was very good at Maths as the idea of the logical progression of numbers seemed very natural to me. I was sometimes surprised that other people in the class couldn't always understand what I thought was very simple reasoning. I also have a very short attention span when it comes to personalised values. In fact when I hear them in someone else, they sicken me just a little bit.

These points led me to the conclusion that I have lower Fi than Ti and thus I am an INTP.
    Why do we always come here?

I guess we'll never know.

It's like a kind of torture,
    To have to watch this show.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Mort Belfry View Post
    But even though I love questioning absolutes, I believe I have a very poor Ni function. Ni seems to be about internally improving yourself and sometimes destroys the cynical. (Correct if I'm wrong here, Ni is the function I have the hardest time explaining) But I have no interest in improving who I am and will clutch to my cynicism until the last breath leaves my body. If cynicism were a loaded weapon I would sleep with it on my pillow.
    The definition of Ni that I've always heard is a drive to see the systems behind what is known, the intuitive leap from the sentence to the motives and ideas that gave it birth. None of that matters, though, because INTPs are Ne. Extraverted intuition is similar, but focused on taking external evidence and seeing their "fit" with one another. Ni = take information, internalize, look for motive behind. Ne=take information, see where/how it fits in the outside world.

Or at least that's how I've always heard it described.
    "The subject chooses to sit in shadow and search for wisdom by reflecting upon his trial. The problem is not that he is cold and wet, but that cold and wet seems problematic, so he embraces those hardships in order to best them."

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Priam View Post
    None of that matters, though, because INTPs are Ne.
    I know, having eliminated E and S at that point, I was trying to eliminate Ni, leaving INXP.
    Why do we always come here?

I guess we'll never know.

It's like a kind of torture,
    To have to watch this show.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Mort Belfry View Post
    I know, having eliminated E and S at that point, I was trying to eliminate Ni, leaving INXP.
    Whoops. Well I hope I was helpful in at least clarifying the Ne/Ni function...
    "The subject chooses to sit in shadow and search for wisdom by reflecting upon his trial. The problem is not that he is cold and wet, but that cold and wet seems problematic, so he embraces those hardships in order to best them."

MBTI
    INTP

Since I posted, it seems only fair to include my self-analysis of why I'm an INTP.

Introvert - I don't loathe company and a change of scenery is nice, but eventually the sheer presence of people overwhelms my brain and senses. It's not that they themselves tire me, but rather the constant need to be "on" in whatever role saps my energy levels. Only when I can retreat to ground state, to passivity and quiet, can my batteries fully recharge again.

On the flipside, too much time alone literally gives me a headache. It's like, without new sensory input, my brain begins to eat itself alive and I get lingering migraines. I don't necessarily have to be engaged with people, but I do need to be out in public every once in a while for my own health.

Ne/Ni - This is harder for me. I lean towards connections, throwing out wisps of new ideas like strands in a cotton candy machine, gradually coalescing in a project or proposal. However, for me, part of seeing the larger system is about being able to see what might be further down the road. It's a balance, but an uneasy one.

Ti - I am sooo much more about the building of intangible models, tinkering with systems that may never see the light of day, rather than categorization and solid understanding of the outside world. The outside world exists to (in)validate and/or test my internal beliefs about how it works.

I also am not a Feeler, as my primary judgement in a situation always comes down to a set of objective, classified priorities. To be sure, I recognize the priority of maintaining harmony with other people, even ranking it quite high, but I consider the harmony and good of others to be separate from what might be considered their current or likely emotional state. I am willing to speak hard truths, though in gentle and compassionate ways, and my empathy is not one of gut-reaction but rather a rationed, continuous effort of understanding the systems known as another human being. This gets decent results, and I improve daily, but it isn't feeling.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    (You can thank me after this post.)
    Indeed, thank you again, Haight - this time for bringing your arguments into the open, thus showing how weak they are.

Did you see this, Economica? It explains the same thing, but with greater accuracy:

ISTJs are often called inspectors. They have a keen sense of right and wrong, especially in their area of interest and/or responsibility. They are noted for devotion to duty.

Effusive expression of emotional warmth is not something that ISTJs do without considerable energy loss.

ISTJs are easily frustrated by the inconsistencies of others, especially when the second parties don't keep their commitments. But they usually keep their feelings to themselves unless they are asked. And when asked, they don't mince words. Truth wins out over tact. The grim determination of the ISTJ vindicates itself in officiation of sports events, judiciary functions, or an other situation which requires making tough calls and sticking to them.
    Let me get this straight, you think I'm an ISTJ because:

- Of my keen sense of right and wrong - uhh...:

Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    I don't use the terms right and wrong since I don't believe in absolute morality (...)
    - Of my supposed devotion to duty - what duty would that be, exactly? My duty to challenge your and npg's authority, thus prompting you to censor a closing one-liner that apparently hurt too much? ("Hey npg , want to merge my Hillary Clinton thread? ")

- Of my lack of effervescence - right, because we all know that the effusive expression of emotional warmth is a trademark of INTJs.

- I usually keep my feelings to myself unless I'm asked -

- Truth wins out over tact for me - right again, because we all know that INTJs are renowed for diplomacy.

- My grim determination supposedly vindicates itself in the officiation of judiciary functions - I LOL'ed at this one. Haight, if this is your standard, shouldn't you rather be questioning the INTJness of someone who primarily functions on this board in her administrative capacity, e.g. merging threads?

---

Everyone else: How about following my example and pointing to threads on the board where you've exhibited behavior conspicuous to your type? Methinks that would generate more - and more interesting - discussion.

MBTI
    INTj

Wow, after two days that's all I get, Economica. . . an obsessive regurgitation of your old posts.

Meh. I expected more because INTJs are supposed to be witty - which means they reply in seconds, not days.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    Wow, after two days that's all I get, Economica. . . an obsessive regurgitation of your old posts.

Meh. I expected more because INTJs are supposed to be witty - which means they reply in seconds, not days.
    Weak argument--if you can't debate her content, don't imply that Teh Internets are where people invest all their time and attention. Perhaps Eco was living in the real world for two days?

(Anyone else notice that when people use "meh" to reply to an argument on the internet, they generally appear to have taken the type of hit that, IRL, would be detected through non-verbal communication?)
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    Weak argument--if you can't debate her content, don't imply that Teh Internets are where people invest all their time and attention. Perhaps Eco was living in the real world for two days?
    The part you're speaking of wasn't an argument. . . it was a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    (Anyone else notice that when people use "meh" to reply to an argument on the internet, they generally appear to have taken the type of hit that, IRL, would be detected through non-verbal communication?)
    Your interpretation is wrong. Try again.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight