User Tag List

First 6789 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Fidelia what weapons do you have?
    Me? Nothing. Even when I lived on the reserve alone in a trailer that you could break into with just a shoulder to the door, I didn't have anything. Generally I've lived in the same building as other people, so I suppose I've been less worried than I potentially might be if I lived completely alone. Canada doesn't really do the gun thing as much and I've always kind of assumed that if an intruder were to wake me up, I wouldn't have time to go for a weapon even if it was nearby. I don't own a cell phone, but I usually have a portable phone by my bed and I also make sure there are numbers handy for neighbours, emergency or other relevant people, should they be needed. I would be more likely to take security measures for the house, rather than arm myself. Most of the scenarios that terrify me worst would be ones where owning a weapon wouldn't really be likely to make much difference at that point.

Probably a lot of my attitude comes from my parents though. It took me years to convince my dad to lock the house when we all leave it. My mum is usually the one who locks it at night or when we leave town etc. Neither of them stashed weapons in the house for dealing with intruders. Then again, we live in a relatively safe area and robberies are not very common. I am probably a lot more cautious, but still have mostly lived in pretty decent communities where that kind of thing is an anomaly rather than an every day occurance. On the reserve, robberies were commonplace, but I lived in a quad of apartment in a village of teachers and it was fairly secure. No one ever tried to do anything during the four years I was in that part of town and we were a few miles from the bad area of town. That doesn't mean people couldn't travel, but the majority of people tended to not preplan a lot of the crime that happened, so they went with whatever was handiest.

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    For people who call it paranoia, they live in nicer areas and times.
    Many who call it paranoia are just overgeneralizing based upon the relative safety of their own area. They should meet people who live in areas, say, where the cops take bribes to simply not kick your ass on the spot.

That said, if you live in, say, my area and time and still feel the need to have heavy weaponry for protection's sake, that is paranoia.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

You dont own a cell phone? Is that common in Canada?

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    Many who call it paranoia are just overgeneralizing based upon the relative safety of their own area. They should meet people who live in areas, say, where the cops take bribes to simply not kick your ass on the spot.

That said, if you live in, say, my area and time and still feel the need to have heavy weaponry for protection's sake, that is paranoia.
    That's interesting, then again tooling up could provide the excuse that a rogue cop is looking for to work you over or kill you. Its a good question when its not simply one of how do you look after yourself without recourse to or depending on the cops but the cops themselves are the problem. Peace by superior firepower is difficult to pull off if you're adversary is the government.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    This came up once in Halla's blog. I have been surprised even when living in very safe communities to discover that most of my male friends keep things like machetes and baseball bats within arm's reach while they sleep.

I know in the States, many people also have guns closeby for protection.

What about you? Do you keep weapons handy? If so, what is it and do you have and what made you decide it was important? Are you ever afraid that it could be used against you instead?
    So I can kill someone by mistake? I've thought about it but no thanks. I do know what knife I'd grab from the kitchen if I needed to. There are also dumbbells in the exercise room that I could use if necessary. In general, I think guns in the home are a really bad idea.

I don't like leaving my car at the train station though. I've had one broken into three times so far there.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    So I can kill someone by mistake? I've thought about it but no thanks. I do know what knife I'd grab from the kitchen if I needed to. There are also dumbbells in the exercise room that I could use if necessary. In general, I think guns in the home are a really bad idea.

I don't like leaving my car at the train station though. I've had one broken into three times so far there.
    No. Not by mistake

That's interesting, then again tooling up could provide the excuse that a rogue cop is looking for to work you over or kill you. Its a good question when its not simply one of how do you look after yourself without recourse to or depending on the cops but the cops themselves are the problem. Peace by superior firepower is difficult to pull off if you're adversary is the government.
    One of my friends was killed execution style by (admittedly) a wrong crowd he was running with. A powerful crowd apparently, because the cops brushed it off and ruled it a suicide. Even though he had a bullet hole on top of his forehead. Who kills themselves like that?

Just an anecdote, but corrupt cops are real, I think. It isn't the only story I have either. It's just a dramatic one.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

You dont own a cell phone? Is that common in Canada?
    Nope. I'm an anomaly. I wouldn't rule out ever getting one, but it's been a concious choice not to so far to keep life simpler, not spend money if I'm doing okay without, limit more cancer causing stuff, and try to avoid being plugged into electronics at the expense of other relationships. I like not being "on call" all the time. If I found I needed one, I wouldn't hesistate to get it, but so far I haven't really needed it.

In the schools where I teach, a lot of Grade 2s even have them.

In the last place where I lived, my boyfriend and I were the only people w/o cell phones, brand new cars (both my car and his were about 6 years old, but still looked good), and no TV (you had to get satellite there and I decided that I didn't want to budget the time or money. I found I didn't miss it, even though I would have ended up watching it if I had it).

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Yes, I do. Ms. Dax, the Awesome Aussie will make mincemeat out of any intruder. I will take care of the scraps with the Blastbat.

I read an article this morning that said the Swiss people own more guns per capita than any other country save the United States and Yemen. They recently rejected a referendum that would have placed restrictions on gun ownership.