User Tag List

123 Last

Default Disorganized types - has anything helped?

I'm curious if any of you who consider yourself disorganized have any tips or suggestions for managing time, dealing with paperwork or just systems that work for you?

I've tried a few time management plans, tried the Flylady etc. but most of these seem to be written for J-types who probably have no trouble working the programs. I need a plan that turns things into 'habits' that I do automatically (or something simple) rather than being another thing that I have to keep track of if you KWIM?

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

You should see my work space... lots and lots of stacks of stuff.

I'm a visual person. I remember to do things, where things are so long as they're visible. I stack most things according to categories. Stuff on various projects goes into a stack (use a folder/binder if needed) I think the key isn't in spending the time in organizing it so much as once you've finish reading/glancing at it, you develop the habit of automatically placing it in the correct stack.

Unless you have 5 years worth of paper to flip through... it doesn't take that long to find what you need using the "stacks" system. Sure, it looks messy... but it works.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I lose things all the time- and I'm pretty far from organized- I just have certain areas of the house or car in which I always use/leave things and that's how I keep track of where they are!

Otherwise- get a large closet and shelves- it helps keep things from being in a pile and hard to sort through!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

I'm being concise again

Disorganized types - has anything helped?

No, and I have tried over 30 years!

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    You should see my work space... lots and lots of stacks of stuff.
    Yup. All of my stuff is in what I like to call "organized disorder". I can find anything quickly, no one else would be able to find anything in a million years.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

Quote Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
    Yup. All of my stuff is in what I like to call "organized disorder". I can find anything quickly, no one else would be able to find anything in a million years.
    The same is usually true for me too. However, when I haven't had a lot of sleep, I tend to misplace my keys and glasses. Those are the main exceptions.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

i wish J types automatically had it easy...

actually, i thought that, too. which is why i was sure i was a P until i found out that the J/P stereotypes are garbage.

yeah, basically i'm stupidly disorganized. i suck at getting things done, even when i want to. (i have ADD, btw)

the cool thing is that i can always do things if someone else is depending on me. like, i'm never late for my 6am shift at work because it would suck for my coworkers. but i can't even wake myself up for my 9:30 class most of the time, since no one but me gets screwed if i don't go.

i'm in a particularly bad phase at the moment, too. for me, it probably has to do with depression and codependency. i know that once i put a little more work into my psychological state, this problem will probably be much less severe.

it's never been a matter of not knowing how to get things done. shit, i come up with plans all the time to finish everything. i CAN take notes in class; i CAN do my homework on time; i CAN pay my bills on time, etc. i just don't.

people can tell me all the techniques they want. it isn't gonna change my self-defeating/self-destructive tendencies. only i can change that.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

keep things in one place and don't think of new places while I'm totally awake.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The things that have helped me is using my Outlook calendar and using the task list with the sortable feature (extra download), plus just being ruthless about clutter. Actually most people see me as fairly organized, probably because my house looks good, but it's a constant battle and doesn't come naturally. I'm also giving myself a half day every week, which I know is a luxury, to just 'catch-up.'

i'm in a particularly bad phase at the moment, too. for me, it probably has to do with depression and codependency
    I'm sorry to hear that, I hope you feel better soon.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

It depends what you're trying to organize.

For time management, I've never found anything that works for me.

For remembering things I need to do/appointments, I use a spreadsheet as a calendar/to-do list....I keep it on my laptop, which I have with me almost constantly (maybe a PDA would work for you laptopless people)...and I open and update it several times a day, generally in boring classes . For some reason I could never ever stick to using paper planners but this one that I designed for myself I don't mind using at all...it's almost fun.

For papers, I use binder clips to clip together piles of related papers [classes for me], then slap a big post-it note on top of it saying what it is. Repeat for about 5-10 categories of paper. Then I put the bound papers in a "to-do" pile or a "forget about for now" pile.

My room: I keep very organized by just having a place for everything and limiting the number of flat spaces to pile clutter on, forcing me to put things in their proper place. My floor does get messy after awhile if I'm lazy though

Maybe not that relevant since I'm only a student now, but that's what works reasonably well for me, anyway.