User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: Small Talk

MBTI
    yupp

Default Small Talk

I'm tired of people being like I hate small talk, guess what small talk is how you get to know people, there's a lot between the lines when it comes to small talk. IN what universe do people talk about their darkest secrets upon first meeting or automatically have a deep conversation? I haven't told my best friend a lot of my secrets. I have to be pretty comfortable to give my actual views to someone.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

I hate small talk.

If it makes you feel better I also hate big talking.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

So, how's the weather where you live?

MBTI
    yupp

haha it's freezing. But I mean when you meet someone at a party or a class you talk about very superficial things, well unless your really drunk.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

I agree with the OP.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INTP

What is small talk?

garbage

well I guess if a person agrees with me that the current temperature is cold and unpleasant, at least I have learned about him that he does not like cold weather

bam, I've made a new friend right there

On subject and more serious, small talk can have a more valid point and greater purpose, such as eventually leading to more substantive conversation. I'm not a fan of the sort of idle chit-chat with someone inconsequential, which will lead nowhere and serves virtually no purpose.

You don't use small talk in and of itself get to know someone; you use it to eventually get yourself into a position where you do get to know them on a deeper level.

MBTI
    ENTP

I actually enjoy small talk... I mean, I lived in snow hell for years and now live a lovely sunny place, so I have lots of funny weather stories. Small talk, when done well, can tell you a lot about people and be quite enjoyable. I'm also uninhibited enough to talk to people about deeper stuff reasonably quickly. I also tend to do things that lead to good small talk though. I speedcube (solve the rubiks cube with the goal of a good time), so people will often start a conversation about that with me. Essentially, I like to talk to people, and if small talk is what they're doing, I'm fine with that ^.^
    "'You scoundrel, you have wronged me,' hissed the philosopher. 'May you live forever!'" - Ambrose Bierce

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    I hate small talk.

If it makes you feel better I also hate big talking.
    Are you okay with medium talking?
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I'm tired of people being like I hate small talk, guess what small talk is how you get to know people, there's a lot between the lines when it comes to small talk. IN what universe do people talk about their darkest secrets upon first meeting or automatically have a deep conversation? I haven't told my best friend a lot of my secrets. I have to be pretty comfortable to give my actual views to someone.
    There is a vast array of conversational ground between smalltalk and one's darkest secrets. Try current events, literature, science, philosophy, even hobbies and travel when discussed in some depth. Another good intermediate is "utilitarian talk" -- discussing what you are there to do to begin with. Every minute does not have to be filled with idle chatter, either. There is nothing wrong with silence.

You don't get to know someone through smalltalk any more than you get to know a book by reading just the title page. The more you try "to read between the lines", the more you are likely to make false assumptions. Unless someone enjoys smalltalk for its own sake, it is hardly worth the energy.