User Tag List

View Poll Results: Could you kill a person?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Absolutely not!

5 9.09%
  • Pfft, Oh yeah easily.

16 29.09%
  • Only in self defense!

23 41.82%
  • Only if my children were in danger!

11 20.00%
  • Other (explain)

18 32.73%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 567

MBTI
    Zzzz

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Really? The world isn't exactly a nice place. Sometimes killing is necessary for survival. We're fortunate to live in societies where we're mostly sheltered from this reality.
    Who's we?!

JK!

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Really? The world isn't exactly a nice place. Sometimes killing is necessary for survival. We're fortunate to live in societies where we're mostly sheltered from this reality.
    This is, of course, an emotional issue for me having served in war time and having lost so many friends to it. That said, yes, we are. Thankfully, there are those willing to kill and be killed to accomplish it and what is not often acknowledged is that those two hold the same gravity for those willing to do it.

MBTI
    ENFj

Sometimes death is a necessary thing but there are actions that surpass “necessity”. I grew up during a Civil War and of course there were casualties and “collateral damage”, but some of the things that the army and guerrillas did were completely evil and beyond human comprehension. The army on 2 separate occasions actually gathered an entire town of people at the plaza center and decided to kill everyone including the kids and women for no real apparent reason. You on occasions could find small kids and even babies dead near rivers and what not and heck even decapitated bodies on the streets. But this type of thing is what transcends sanity and human comprehension, I have to thank the lord that for the most part I was sheltered from this types of things when I grew up since my family came from a line that had served the military, but wars are simply savage. If for the sake of my family I had to kill someone I would do it but murder is truly one of the greatest evils in the world and I would not willingly look forward to doing something like this.
    ENFJ 3W4

If you read this I am sorry to say that you just lost 5 seconds of your life that you wont be getting back.*

*Actual time may vary.

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Seanan View Post
    Please do.
    Well it seems hard to judge how easily one would swing swords and shoot with their weapons. A little bit of eagerness removed, there would be less reason for anyone to be so jumpy, defensive and eager to "defend" themselves. I have a bad experience of expecting worse of the people psychologically.

Other people ask, what's the point to fight.

Others ask equally, what's the point to have peace, when the "others" are willing to fight.

I would have just expected a lower number of trigger-happy people, by whatever definition that is defined.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Socionics
    ENTj

Yes.

If the law did not prevent me from doing so and/or if I were in a position of power I'd kill tons of people to make the world a better place. I'd never kill without a reason or for "fun" though, I find the thought of that disgusting and abhorrible.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Razor View Post
    Yes.

If the law did not prevent me from doing so and/or if I were in a position of power I'd kill tons of people to make the world a better place. I'd never kill without a reason or for "fun" though, I find the thought of that disgusting and abhorrible.
    I commend you for your honesty, but reading your post evokes a little and a lot of fear in me.
    Last edited by SillySapienne; 03-07-2008 at 11:26 PM.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Santtu View Post
    Well it seems hard to judge how easily one would swing swords and shoot with their weapons. A little bit of eagerness removed, there would be less reason for anyone to be so jumpy, defensive and eager to "defend" themselves. I have a bad experience of expecting worse of the people psychologically.

Other people ask, what's the point to fight.

Others ask equally, what's the point to have peace, when the "others" are willing to fight.

I would have just expected a lower number of trigger-happy people, by whatever definition that is defined.
    I hope you aren't lumping aggressors together with defenders. Humanity covers a broad spectrum... as long as one exists, the other will have to but they take no pleasure in it.. that's the difference and the point. I, for one, am grateful there are police and soldiers willing to do the job.

MBTI
    INTP

So first I will admit two things:

1) I've skipped over the rest of the thread and only read two pages. If repetition occurs, I humbly defer to the soul who expressed my concept first.

2) I'm rather drunk, but the operative concept of in vino veritas operates strongly with me, so do not take this as less than a truth.

I have always defaulted to the quote from Lord of the Rings, "Others who deserve death receive life. Can you give it to them? Don't be eager to deal out death in judgement, for not even the wise can see all ends."

Could I kill a person? Indubitably. I hesitate to proclaim that everyone has the capacity to kill another, as definite statements set my teeth on edge, but I believe it to be true: we all have that last boundary at which death is the only appropriate response. The emphasis, for me, is on that crucial phrase: at that last boundary. There are acts humanity is capable of that bequeath no mercy, no redemption. The taking of innocent life for the sheer fascination with death, the manipulation of innocent humans for the sake of genocide; in short: the callous, objective disregard of human life for one's amusement or personal gain. Once one reaches such a point, we must accept that no return as possible and that, for the preservation of ourselves as a whole, they must be severed from this world to whatever comes hereafter.

Would I pull the trigger on someone in such circumstances? Without hesitation or any remorse beyond that due a necessary cruelty.
    "The subject chooses to sit in shadow and search for wisdom by reflecting upon his trial. The problem is not that he is cold and wet, but that cold and wet seems problematic, so he embraces those hardships in order to best them."