User Tag List

View Poll Results: Could you kill a person?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Absolutely not!

5 9.09%
  • Pfft, Oh yeah easily.

16 29.09%
  • Only in self defense!

23 41.82%
  • Only if my children were in danger!

11 20.00%
  • Other (explain)

18 32.73%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 4567 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

I'd say yes, but it depends. I won't say "no - unless" because that's in effect a "yes...if". Self-defense doesn't really echo with me much, cos if someone else's life is expendable (which I must have concluded in order to kill them), then so is mine. But if instinct were to take over, I'm sure I'd ignore that and kill anyway.

However, experience and intuition tell me that a) there's always another way, and b) "the other thing" is never as bad as you think it's gonna be and c) often we fight hard to preserve something under the assumption that whatever replaces is won't be as good, but this assumption is often false.

Whatever happens, one can always adapt. So I can't see any situation as being so fantastic and important, or any prospective situation being so intolerable and unworkable, as to be worth killing to defend/avoid.

And I guess I'm working under the assumption that killing is a last resort, because of what I said before: to admit someone else's life is expendable is to call my own so, too.

However, "those who cling to life will lose it"... I have met people who seem to cling so hard to their life and youth and stuff that they become enveloped in a cloud of 'decay'. If I were to cling so hard to my life as to end another in defense of it, I think the life I'd have after that wouldn't really be a full life, so I would hope that, when it comes to the crunch, I'd be as ready to let go as I am ...well, when it's not crunch time!
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    INFJ

I also should admit to having aggressive impulses when hearing about people like those of Westboro Baptist Church. Some of the shit they pull is inexcusable. Holding up signs and cheering at a soldier's funeral is so ridiculous that I don't even know where to start except by running them over with my car multiple times.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Enneagram 4w5 social

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

I'm a vet... so yeh... just a broader scope of for self or loved one's defense.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    If someone pushed my buttons enough, possibly. If there was no law preventing me, definitely.

I have the same urge as everyone else to kill those idiots who (A) annoy me, (B) betray me, (C) or do any other anonymous thing I can't think of which pisses me off.

How would I do it? I dunno exactly, Molotov cocktails, maybe, a gold-cutting laser, a BFG-9000, who knows?

You're getting morbid, Jen!
    Everyone else?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Everyone else?
    Well, maybe not everyone else, but the following so far:

DeliriousDisposition, Kanamori, Kiddo, LucrativeSid, Merkw, Metamorphosis, millerm277, Mr Galt, Negative_, sassafrassquatch, Silently Honest.

They are the ones who have voted as I did.

Luckily, Rockstar Games has worked wonders for me in channeling my rage. (Just don't let Jack Thompson know, 'kay?)

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

It depends on the method. I probably couldn't strangle or stab someone to death. That would feel too real. I could probably shoot/poison/blow up someone, though.

As for motive, it would have to be something really strong (harmed a loved one/gave me a weird look/etc). I have this thing about going to prison...I don't want to. I don't know if I'd feel guilty if I didn't know the person, maybe? *shrug*
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

This is a valid question.. but I'm sad to see the number of people agreeing to kill. I'd elaborate, but.. d'uh.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Santtu View Post
    This is a valid question.. but I'm sad to see the number of people agreeing to kill. I'd elaborate, but.. d'uh.
    Please do.

MBTI
    Zzzz

It's not about agreeing to kill. It's about doing what's felt necessary at the moment to protect oneself and/or others if there is no alternative possibility of avoiding it. I don't think it's something taken lightly at all, for most here. For any, if any, who said they'd do it to get away with it, then take issue with that if you want.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Really? The world isn't exactly a nice place. Sometimes killing is necessary for survival. We're fortunate to live in societies where we're mostly sheltered from this reality.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."