User Tag List

12 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

Default Help with procrastination

This is something I would like some help on, I have a bunhch of goals for around now (starting up with martial arts, starting up with research, just going out and doing other things in general), that for some reason are very hard to focus on and actually do (See blog for details). I would like people who notice this thread to either add a post or hit some reputation of some sort to any posts made here, as a sort of reminder to actually go out and do these things. (O'm thinking, just something along the lines of "have you done anything today?" posts, or if I say "nothing hapened yet", handing out some rep, whether negative or positive, on that post.)

MBTI
    GONE

Speaking of procrastination, you are up late.

Consider this reminder 1.

I also procrastinated doing things, it's very easy for me to put off something as simple as a phone call if I "don't feel like it" so I ended up pushing out a dr. appointment that could've been this week all the way to next week. Procrastination really bites you in the butt sometimes.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    Intp
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI

... if it helps you...
    Vanitas vanitatum omnia vanitas

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    Speaking of procrastination, you are up late.

Consider this reminder 1.

I also procrastinated doing things, it's very easy for me to put off something as simple as a phone call if I "don't feel like it" so I ended up pushing out a dr. appointment that could've been this week all the way to next week. Procrastination really bites you in the butt sometimes.
    I was having a lot of trouble sleeping last night, so used my usual strategy of getting up and doing something, which hopefully makes me tied enough to go back and get some good sleep.

The same thing you are describing seems ot be what I've been doing, it seems to be in a vicious cycle though, which is the purpose of this thread and possibly other ones that pop up. (Hopefully it will work, and stay up enough to help out for awhile.)

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Procrastination can be a difficult pollutant to bear.

My best advice is to create a comparative (internal?) analysis of the cost-to-benefit ratio of putting things off v. completing the act.

If the former grants greater delight, then wait. If the later matures as greater in importance, follow through accordingly.

Best of luck.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Bah if you ever find a trick, let me know. It's still my most destructive habit.

Are you going to make a specific, measurable, achievable goal for something and track your progress in your blog/here/wherever?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    Procrastination can be a difficult pollutant to bear.

My best advice is to create a comparative (internal?) analysis of the cost-to-benefit ratio of putting things off v. completing the act.

If the former grants greater delight, then wait. If the later matures as greater in importance, follow through accordingly.

Best of luck.
    the problem with the cost/benefit analysis is short term vs. long term.

the cost of putting something off it it's way before a deadline is very small. especially if you tell yourself you're only gonna put it off for a little bit of time.

this is why i never start things until RIGHT before the deadline. the pros of doing it FINALLY outweigh the cons at that point.

i guess you could factor in stress level, etc. but somehow i put a very small weight on that. i guess it's a matter of changing that coefficient

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

I find that doing a cost benefit analysis is a way of procrastinating...

I'm a huge procrastinator myself. Especially for tasks that I know I should get done as self enrichment but I don't really have to do it. I ended up jumping from project to project and finishing very little. I suppose the process of working has some use, but still...

Perhaps taking little steps help. Gets you moving... and if you ended up going off on a different path. Well you can either let it steer you or re-orientate yourself.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Exactly.

Yet, the metric can always be used as a justification.

Self-reliance is key to any beginning.

MBTI
    type

"To succeed at the difficult, begin with the easy; to succeed with the big, begin with the small."--Lao Tze.

Alternatively, if that doesn't work, do what I do: just throw your hat over the fence and just go for it.

An ESTJ taught me a very practical method though. Which is to divide up your tasks/priorities/goals into the four categories as such: (draw a line down between urgent/non urgent)

--------------- Urgent Nonurgent
    ----------------------------------------------
    Important
    ---------------------------------------------
    Not important

and based on that, to complete the tasks accordingly. What's urgent and important to be done first. Urgent and not important (normally the little daily stuff) to be dispensed with as swiftly as possible, with as little energy expenditure as possible.

important and non-urgent tends to be private goals. these need to be worked on as when time allows.

the last category: file away and just do when it turns urgent.

I haven't been much of a success implementing it myself though. Prefer working by 'pulse action', so to speak. Energy of the moment.
    You gave me hyacinths first a year ago;
    They called me the hyacinth girl.
    Yet when we came back, late, from the Hyacinth garden,
    Your arms full, and your hair wet, I could not
    Speak, and my eyes failed, I was neither
    Living nor dead, and I knew nothing,
    Looking into the heart of light, the silence.

--T.S Eliot, The Wasteland