594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Did you say something?
    Thanks for reminding me why I hate you.

PS. You still owe me coffee.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Thanks for reminding me why I hate you.

PS. You still owe me coffee.
    <--------- [prices tooth-proof neck armor online]

The Duchess of Oddity Queen Kat's Avatar
    MBTI
    E.T.
    Enneagram
    7w8

I'm starting to feel more significant here. Until some months ago I kinda had the feeling as if I wasn't a "part of the group", so it took me more than a year to become one of the more noticed members. It took much less time on other forums, a few weeks to 2/3 months. Maybe it's because I'm actually getting too old for this kind of things. But it could also be because this somehow is a different kind of forum, or because when I joined this place some people thought I was a dupe account and they seemed pretty disrespectful to me, so I didn't post too much in the beginning. In october I started becoming active at another forum and I have the feeling that people are starting to notice me now.
    I was sitting outside the classroom waiting to go in, and I saw an airplane hit the tower. The TV was obviously on. I used to fly myself and I said, "There's one terrible pilot."
    - George W. Bush -

SCUAI - 7w8 sx/sp - Chaotic Evil - Fucking Cute - ALIVE

Blog. Read it, bitches.
    Questions? Click here
    If you don't agree about my MBTI type, you can complain about it here. I've had plenty of people telling me I'm something else, in my reputation box. That's annoying.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

but....you are insignificant.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

To the OP in general - yeah, I felt like this a lot more often my first year on the forum. I felt like everyone knew each other and everyone had their groups of peeps (or whatever), and I was more bothered by it. Now though... guess I'm not. I think like others have already said, a lot of it's the nature of foruming. Also, I think on our end it's easy for us to delude ourselves into thinking there are these magical groups of peeps, when in reality there aren't and we're all in the same boat. So some of it is our own projections/ insecurities and it's simply not reality.

But yeah - just like irl, there are some who make bigger splashes, who are more dramatic, who are more flirty, who banter and 'play' a lot more - they may be who you think are more into a certain niche or something. But most posters don't fall into that category.

And too. There's the vent scene. Since that involves actually talking and getting to know people in more of a 'real' way (I'm just guessing here, I really have no idea since I've never been on it) -- it seems pretty obvious to me that different sorts of 'relationships' and inside knowledge of various peoples' lives will develop amongst that group. Maybe a closer bond, I dunno.

But look - I really don't know how everyone else perceives me or categorizes me on here, as far as what 'group' I'm in or whatever, but from my perspective I've never considered myself part of some group. And, at least half the time my massive posts aren't responded to so ONE conclusion (of many) to be drawn is that they aren't read or are ignored. But I know from various sources that this isn't the case, because when I stated this perception/feeling about this phenomenon way back to a few people, I learned that they are read, and for various reasons they're not responded to, etc. So: it just seems they fly into the black hole of the internet. Which ties into my original paragraph saying that in the end a lot of this topic is our own perception that might be totally warped.

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    Other people post photos and people regularly comment on how beautiful or gorgeous they are. No one ever says anything when I post a photo. I'm not near the caliber of attractiveness that many of you are but just once it would be nice to receive a compliment regarding my appearance. I can't help but feel inadequate that there are so many beautiful people on here and there is no way I can ever measure up.
    To this specifically. There are a lot of people who don't receive many or any responses, so you're certainly not alone. There are only a select number of people - those who obviously fit the 'Beautiful' category - that are *consistently* praised, or ogled over by numerous guys. Just so ya know.

But this is just like posting, too -- if you go into it expecting or hoping for your pic or your post to be commented upon, you're setting yourself up for disappointment. All you can really do is put yourself out there - and if people comment, great, if not, then you ideally should be comfortable/secure enough to be ok without getting any response; otherwise might be worthwhile to do some searching beforehand to determine your motives for posting. Is it because you're seeking some sort of specific response? Or is it just that you're sharing and you'll let the chips fall where they may? And again: Not falling into the mental network of assuming No Response = Bad. Again - many other possibilities. (btw, I'm not saying this is easy - just something to think about)
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

I know how you feel SuchIrony, I too am sorta in the same boat.

Now on this site I do tend to categorize by member popularity, that is I recognize well known/more established members more often then I do less frequent members. Thing is, you fall into the well known category easily.

I think for a member to become really well known, that there's a certain element of time and post count involved; the person who only posted 200 times in a year isn't going to be as well known as the person who posted 3000 times in six months; and individual posting style and personal charisma can also play a significant role as well in terms of being noticed.

But the thing is not to worry, just keeping posting like you always do and your significance will become even greater.

Not Feeling Significant on This Forum

The very thought of existence is like thin veil covering the truth.

the Dark Prophet of Kualu
    MBTI
    RAD

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    I actually did the math and divided the number of views by the number of replies (about 80-90%) which are mine. Theres an average of 6 views per post, which is not many at all considering the large number of people on this forum.
    Hihihihi. I did too (to my own) and I looked forward to your posts when I was a regular here. I'm mostly inclined to lurk and barely speak my mind unless it's something I cannot be incorrect within.

Woo, this was a real shitty post. Did it help though?

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    It's okay everyone feels that way their first week on the forum....

*Oops.

Eventually you will grow breasts!

:p

P.S. Thats sort of how I do nice.....I'm leaving.
    ROFLMAO.
    Last edited by Serendipity; 02-09-2011 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Removed the insecure stupid sentence. It's not true.
    Open for interpretation.
    Jo
    Fell for the temptation: Nohari / Johari

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

SI, I understand the feeling. I usually have bouts of this in almost all aspects of my life. The way I figure it, I'm here to express myself, to say something to someone outside of my head for once. Sometimes I get no response, sometimes I do. Maybe someone got something out of it, maybe someone thinks I'm an idiot. Either way, I've expressed myself, mission accomplished.

I've also considered the flip side. I see someone post something that resonated with me, and I think: I should say something. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't have the energy to even hit the rep icon. I assume that's just how everybody works.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

I get it. I often feel like no one reads my comments (or responds to them), or that I have killed a thread, somehow. But that's the nature of the internet.