User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Default Double barrelled curling irons

There isn't really a good place to put this, so in the bonfire it goes.

Has anyone ever used a double barrelled curling iron? I like what I've seen of the kind of curls it makes, even though I generally dislike curling irons and time involved in using them. I already have very wavy (though not curly) hair, but would like something that gives a little lift at the roots and that touches up some of the curls in a way that looks natural.

So far, the one with the best reviews that I see is R Session Tools Nalu Waver (kind of looks like something you'd barbecue with!) and it's about $150 at the cheapest. I wouldn't mind paying that much because I invest very little in my hair in any other way as long as I knew it would work well.

If you have any input, I'd welcome it. Thanks a million.

violaine

Hmm, negative on the curling iron use but wrt lift at the roots have you ever tried Tigi Catwalk Root Boost? You just spray it into the roots of your hair and style. It's awesome.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Thanks! It's always nice to have someone vet stuff like that before you invest in it!

Does it work even with longer hair? Because my hair is just very wavy (S shape waves) but not curly, my hair just lies really flat to my head. I've checked to see if cutting it differently would make a difference, but it doesn't. It's a little better when my hair is shorter, so I just concluded that it was too heavy. Does the root boost make your hair feel all producty or could you go a day in between without washing?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    Thanks! It's always nice to have someone vet stuff like that before you invest in it!

Does it work even with longer hair? Because my hair is just very wavy (S shape waves) but not curly, my hair just lies really flat to my head. I've checked to see if cutting it differently would make a difference, but it doesn't. It's a little better when my hair is shorter, so I just concluded that it was too heavy. Does the root boost make your hair feel all producty or could you go a day in between without washing?
    fidelia, my hair does s-shape waves, too, mostly. I find that either clipping individual waves at the root while drying, or using a diffuser and moving the roots in a bunch of different positiions helps. It could be your hair is heavy, or it could be that the water is weighing it down while drying. As it's drying, I'll flop one side over my head and let it sit there a while, then reverse. Anything to keep it from drying in one position.
    Something Witty

fidelia, dry your hair upside down and as Tallulah mentions, use a diffuser at the roots but don`t dry it all. Change your part around and you`ll get that instant lift.

violaine

@ fidelia:

I use it and my hair is slightly wavy and pretty long, though not really heavy. If you use sparingly you can go without washing, I do and I don't have any trouble. Because it's just for the roots it doesn't leave your hair feeling product-y. I often just spray into my hand and work through the roots to minimize the amount used.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    fidelia, my hair does s-shape waves, too, mostly. I find that either clipping individual waves at the root while drying, or using a diffuser and moving the roots in a bunch of different positiions helps. It could be your hair is heavy, or it could be that the water is weighing it down while drying. As it's drying, I'll flop one side over my head and let it sit there a while, then reverse. Anything to keep it from drying in one position.
    I always assumed you had curly hair, Tallulah that lifted on its own. That's encouraging!

I should try the clipping thing. Just duckbill type clips? I think the main problem is that I've never had much luck blow drying my hair (I don't know how to work a diffuser properly it seems!) and so I often leave the house with my hair still wet and I think the weight of the water in it is the problem. Can either you or Metaphor offer advice on diffusing properly? I have tried changing my part a bit, but I have a bit of a cowlick in front that is picky about where the part lands. Diffuser advice would be most welcome. Also, is there anything I should be looking for in a blow dryer.

(Incidentially Metaphor, nice curls in that one picture!)

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by violaine View Post
    @ fidelia:

I use it and my hair is slightly wavy and pretty long, though not really heavy. If you use sparingly you can go without washing, I do and I don't have any trouble. Because it's just for the roots it doesn't leave your hair feeling product-y. I often just spray into my hand and work through the roots to minimize the amount used.
    Does it spray or is it a mousse?

violaine

It's like a mousse. Though I think now there might be a new product in the range that is a mist.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    Does it spray or is it a mousse?
    Did someone call me?