User Tag List

First 1234 Last

violaine

I didn't even notice the tongue bandit guy at first I was too busy analyzing your lift. :-)

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

@ TG No! Don't take the pics down. That is impressive indeed. Wanna come do my hair?

@ mmhmm I've heard good things about Bumble and Bumble but I've also heard it's expensive. Thanks for the reviews, people!

MBTI
    ----

my hair is long and heavy. sometimes i want barbarella volume, so i use this to lift the roots. it's not going to work as a curl definer like that stuff in TG's photo essay.

i recommend this site for beauty product reviews. you can see 80% of people on that site would buy aveda powder again and its average rating is 4.1/5. good show. i like to do some research before i put anything new on my hair/face.

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    @ mmhmm I've heard good things about Bumble and Bumble but I've also heard it's expensive.
    yah salon prices. i think it's us$28 for the surf spray. but it lasts forever.
    my hair is long, past mid back and i use it fairly often ~5 days/week.
    and one bottle lasts me about 8 months. so not really bad if you break
    it down.

surf spray at the roots + double barrel

the other salon brand i really like is sebastian professional.
    the mousse fort and volutp spray is amazing.
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

Quote Originally Posted by strawberries View Post
    my hair is long and heavy. sometimes i want barbarella volume, so i use this to lift the roots. it's not going to work as a curl definer like that stuff in TG's photo essay.

i recommend this site for beauty product reviews. you can see 80% of people on that site would buy aveda powder again and its average rating is 4.1/5. good show. i like to do some research before i put anything new on my hair/face.
    oh man how could i forget! i love their confixor <33
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

MBTI
    INTP

Diffuser technique: Pile a section of curls into the bowl of the diffuser, taking care that the ends don't go wonky. DON'T turn it on until you've got your section of hair in the bowl. Arrange your curls in the bowl and push the bowl all the way up to your head. THEN turn the dryer on low. Leave it there for 15-30 seconds, turn the dryer off, move to another section. This way, it's encouraging curl (I get WAY better definition when I diffuse than when I air dry.) and discouraging frizz, since you're not blowing your hair around. Do this in sections all over your head. You can air dry your hair a bit before you start diffusing, so it doesn't take so long. I don't keep diffusing a section until it's completely dry, all at once. I come back to the section after I've done the rest of my head. Sometimes I'll dry it some and then go do other things, then come back and diffuse some more. For added volume, you can diffuse the top sections upside down. You can also flip your hair over to one side and hold the diffuser up to your scalp, to get at the root.

For clipping, use alligator/duckbill clips. Diffuse or air-dry for a bit before clipping. Then you can take a clump of waves, pull it up at the root a little, creating kind of a space underneath the root of the wave. Then clip slightly beneath it. I'll see if I can find a pic or video clip of the process. It's hard to describe.

Another thought: depending on the type of wave you have and the product you use, you can end up with clumpier waves or stringier waves. Clumpy waves look great, but they often contribute to lesser volume, because they clump together and make the waves weightier. Sometimes I'll sacrifice clumps/definition in favor of volume. I get easy volume by using mousse instead of gel. Catwalk Curlesque Mousse is what I use when I want bigger, but less defined hair.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Update - I ordered the curling iron and it's awesome! I've never been able to work a curling iron very effectively and this one heats instantly, has four different heat settings, makes very natural looking curls and is easy to use. It also comes with a glove and a pad to put it on so it doesn't burn anything. Definitely worth the money!

I will look into your recommendations for products when I go to town and can visit a beauty supply store. I think some kind of root boost stuff is in order.

violaine

Cool, any chance of hair pix?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Oh yeah! Maybe after the weekend I'll do that so you can see. I've tried various ways and it turns out looking different depending on amount of hair used, and the way that you wind it on.

Oh good! Please do post pics. I'm curious how to work a double iron and the type of curl that results in its usage.