User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

One s too many, Mouse. However, you're always welcome around here!

ThatGirl

The best way to maximize the volume in the root area for curly hair is to loosely pile it on top of your head until it is mostly dry. Taking the weight off of it will allow the curls to form naturally without the gravity.

Then with your hair flipped over, all you really have to do is pretend your fingers are like the tingler, rub the tips in circles on your scalp while applying some hair spray.

The triple barrel curling iron is a beautiful look if used correctly, but if your goal is just to fill in the blanks of some lesser curly areas, you can do just as well with a regular curling iron. The trick it to get a curling iron at least a size smaller than you want the curl to be. Start in the root area and feed the ends in while twisting the hair. Most people curl from the bottom up, which ends op frying the tips to death, and not leaving enough heat on the root for the full volume.

Other than that I like the triple barrel, when used on small alternating sections, and applied evenly. If you link me the one you intend on buying I can tell you if you can get the same thing for cheaper, or if it is really worth the money.

Also, the only trick to a diffuser is to remember it is about heat, not air. You don't want to blow the hair. With your head upside down, spray in some Redkin Fresh Curls, dry patting the hair up (never scrunching) only until the hair feels sort of sticky. Step back apply another layer of Fresh Curls, repeat until hair is dry.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

I've wondered if Redkin Fresh Curls is good or not. There are so many products out there and it is hard to tell what is good for a particular type of curl! I may try that! I'm always on the lookout for the one product that has enough hold, but doesn't leave my hair crunchy or feeling weird.

I like the triple barrel look too, but what I'm talking about isn't a waver. It looks like a two pronged iron without any clamp. You wind the hair in and out in a figure 8 or start that way and then wind the hair around the one prong for a slightly different look. It ends up looking like really natural curls that have a lot of body.

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    Thanks! It's always nice to have someone vet stuff like that before you invest in it!

Does it work even with longer hair? Because my hair is just very wavy (S shape waves) but not curly, my hair just lies really flat to my head. I've checked to see if cutting it differently would make a difference, but it doesn't. It's a little better when my hair is shorter, so I just concluded that it was too heavy. Does the root boost make your hair feel all producty or could you go a day in between without washing?
    I'll give the Root Boost a 2nd testimonial. I've been using that stuff for years. (Same brand and everything as Violaine posted). Because back when my hair was really long my hair would just lay super flat at my scalp. I just used a bit of that stuff at the roots and it made my hair look like it actually had some volume. I loved it. And it doesn't make your hair feel crunchy like some products do.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

ThatGirl

This is what I prefer. Redkin Scrunch spray.

It is good for volume without heaviness. It doesn't get crispy specially if you work it with a diffuser as it is drying.I have fine hair and it can go either way pretty easily. This product is by far the best I have used.

You can layer it for more volume as wanted.

ThatGirl

I am going to provide proof of my product and it any of you make fun of me I will make your life a living hell! Brb.

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Anxiously awaiting. There better before before/after pictures.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    R Session Tools Nalu Waver
    i have this one. i read about it in harpers bazaar. hahhaa.
    works like a charm. i always prefer ceramic heaters. more gentle
    on the hair. i have poker straight hair, and it gives me great
    curls.

Quote Originally Posted by violaine View Post
    Hmm, negative on the curling iron use but wrt lift at the roots have you ever tried Tigi Catwalk Root Boost? You just spray it into the roots of your hair and style. It's awesome.
    [IMG]]
    this brand is great. and their shampoo "all sexed up".
    smells good too.

for salon quality:
    i LOVE bumble and bumble (curls: http://www.bumbleandbumble.com/produ...EGORY_ID=CAT65)
    definitely my preferred choice. they run a teensy bit more expensive, but world of difference.
    so depending on what price point you're looking for.

for shiny shiny locks.

but my ultimate favourite is surf spray:

http://www.bumbleandbumble.com/produ...PRODUCT_ID=221

so so so sexy, tumbled out of bed after a great night.
    like that crazy lift at the roots and soft soft waves.
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

violaine

Wow, that is impressive. Aw, you look cute. Dang, there is a lot going on in those pix.

ThatGirl

Lol, yeah but it still shows the method and product. It works. Most of my clients as hair stylist were having difficulty managing a wash and wear, versatile style. That is kind of my specialty.

I will probably take those pics down by tomorrow.