User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: avatar policy

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I identify people by thier avatars and signatures- I rarely look over in the names location

I get thrown off a bit when people change thier avatars and have to re-memorize them

I change mine occasionally- I spent a couple of months with similar pics of my dog and now have been going on a bit of having Captain Haddock as my avatar! I like to keep things similar because it confuses people less!
    me too

MBTI
    INTj

Sensors!
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by nottaprettygal View Post
    Err. I disagree, but that's a whole different thread. However, an avatar that doesn't show exposed naughty bits is a good idea.
    Futz. I was gonna say, "NO NEKKID AVIES!" but you beat me to it.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Pretty much common sense. So, you know, basic Western societal parameters. This means no nakey people, except for classical art for some reason which escapes me logically but I'm a part of my culture so I know it mimetically or something. Probably best to avoid really disturbing or violent avatars as well. Other than that, it's all about you.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by mippus View Post
    Are there any (unwritten) rules on avatars?
    I notice that I try to identify people by their avatar, rather than reading their name. That lead me to the question: how frequently can one change avatars? I changed mine today, but I think it is still fairly recognisable.
    Technically, you can change avatars as often as you want, and you won't be in any trouble for it. But it might irritate people who identify by avatars (which I don't), if you change them more than twice. I personally turn avatars off to expedite my browsing experience.

I personally think that avatars should be approximately the size mine is, but only slightly larger. They should be at least the size of an emoticon. Also, I think that animated avatars are distracting, and I know an administrator on another site who banned animated avatars (wise decision).

Also, I think that you should avoid emotionally charged images for avatars, but that may just be a personal preference.

It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

I'm experimenting with my avies until I find one that screams "This one's really me!" So far, owl's winning, but we'll see.
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    I personally think that avatars should be approximately the size mine is, but only slightly larger.
    I noticed that a post without an avatar is a minimum size which is actually quite large. I cropped the size of my avatar down until it no longer made my posts any larger than the minimum. In other words, if I made my avatar any smaller, a minimum sized post would not take up any less space. Because of that, I don't see why an avatar needs to be too small. It doesn't serve any purpose I can think of. I happen to like the avatars for the most part. They add color and character to the forum.

Animated avatars can be distracting and a little abrasive to my eyes, but I don't know of any right now that are obnoxious. A little movement, if it's subtle, doesn't bother me too much.

I'm so glad Jennifer told me about Firefox Adblock image.
    If anyone's avatar bothers me that badly, I can just turn it off.

MBTI
    Intp
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI

I am most confused when people use an avatar showing a person that is unknown to me, but different from who they really are. I tend to make strong connections between people and the avatar they use.
    Thus I believed that Nocapzky actually loved shooting rifles, and am confused by Jen's avatar depicting an older man
    I don't really get why this should be a sensor-thing though...
    Vanitas vanitatum omnia vanitas

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

..Thus I believed that Nocapzky actually loved shooting rifles, and am confused by Jen's avatar depicting an older man
    That is Larry David, btw -- writer/star in "Curb your enthusiasm" and the main writer for Seinfeld.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ

I am most confused when people use an avatar showing a person that is unknown to me, but different from who they really are. I tend to make strong connections between people and the avatar they use.
    Thus I believed that Nocapzky actually loved shooting rifles, and am confused by Jen's avatar depicting an older man
    I don't really get why this should be a sensor-thing though...
    Yeah, I don't know most of those people either.