User Tag List

123 Last

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Default Psssst.. Hey .. You have a booger hanging off yer nose.

We have all found ourselves at times in life where we were unaware of some "wardrobe malfunction", having food on our face or the proverbial , booger hanging off our noses.

Reading the ENFJ bluntness thread, kind of got me wondering how people like to be approached when they are unaware of some potentially embarrassing situation about their immediate person.

Do you prefer to be told flat out?

Would you rather be taken aside somewhere private?

Do you prefer a physical communication , you know like someone keeps wiping the side of their mouth while looking at you.?

Would you prefer not to be told at all , and figure it our for yourself.

SO I am asking..

What is you ideal or preferred method of being told.

And..

How are you more likely to go about telling someone else?

MBTI
    yupp

if I don't hate them I don't mind being told straight out, if I hate them I'd rather they keep they're damn mouth shut. I usually don't notice such things, and when I do i say nothing and make fun of them in my head.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INTj

If I know them well, and if I'm not feeling like a bastard, I'll generally tell 'em they've got a hangfire. They usually pick up on it, but if not, I just scratch my nose.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ego Reparate; Ob Me Non Deficiat.
    INTJ - RCOEI - sx/sp/so - Tritype: 683 (6w5-8w9-3w4) - True Neutral
    "Yeah, wisdom always chooses/These black eyes and these bruises"
    "Over the heartache that they say/Never completely goes away..."

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Tell them that they need to do something about their little friend in the tunnel.

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram

I get outrageously and irrationally angry when less than awesome communicators try to discreetly "signal" some minor malfunction, and I feel obligated to search my entire body in public to figure out what the heck they're doing. Invariably, it's something like a piece of lint on my shoulder, everyone in the room is now staring at me and I end up wanting to STRANGLE them.

Oh. Or when some really overzealously helpful guy decides that too much of my (really reasonably covered) chest is showing, and motions that I should cover myself. So obnoxious.

Yeah, it's probably better to not tell me, or to sidle up beside me and softly say it to me clearly and discreetly, if it's really all that important. Otherwise, don't interrupt my train of thought to point out a crumb on my blouse.

Unless it's my best girlfriend or something, I never say anything.
    I think I think more than you think I think.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

True story ... just before XMas a 30-something'ish woman exited the restroom in a fast food restaurant with her long and flowy skirt neatly tucked in the back of her panties (sorry for using the "p" word fidelia!) She got in line behind me to place her order, and I noticed the restroom faux pas as she turned around to check where her companions were seated. Now, my rule of thumb on such matters is if if it were me and I would be saved embarrassment by being told, I would like to be told. Having one person notice is better than 100. So, I just very discreetly turned around, leaned forward and told her. She was very grateful.

There's usually a good moment where you can tell someone without drawing huge public attention to the issue. But, there are parameters - I wouldn't tell a stranger she had food in her teeth for example, but her skirt in her panties, yes. Friends & family, I would just tell them about any minor embarrassments asap when the moment was right. As I would appreciate being told directly myself. Hand gestures etc are hard to interpret, words are better unless impossible to communicate in an urgent moment.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

My old roommate walked across a whole university campus, oblivious to the fact that her skirt was tucked up into the waistband of her tights and only found out about it when a kindly girl alerted her to it while she was standing at a stop late walking the several blocks home.

I would prefer to be told than not told. I don't like it when people come up with cutesy little hints about it though. I would way rather be discretely told, "You've got something there", rather than anything more opaque. I have occasionally let people know about something and try to do it in a way that will not draw attention to it in front of everyone, or at least not very publicly.

ThatGirl

I usually stare at it awkwardly for a while.....after a while people start to become uncomfortable, and take a look for themselves.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

^ I think direct is best though. I would say, "Excuse me, not to embarrass you, but I thought you would like to know you have your skirt tucked up in your tights ... (but by the middle of the sentence the person has already figured it out lol!)
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram

Oh, for sure, someone with their skirt up in their tights would get a elbow tap and a whisper from me! Poor girl!
    I think I think more than you think I think.