User Tag List

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Default It works !! It's alive !! The yellow light is on xD

It works !! It's communicating and I am already learning it's customs .

Haha, I today acquired an old notebook with winxp and 32bit and finally I was able to test lpt-communication between the electrical control to my cnc mill and the software. On the picture below you can see the yellow led is on and that means computer and control are communicating .

It's routed via optical transfer, so the circuits of the board and the computer are separated, the control works with 225 Watts @ 46 Volts and 5 Ampere, the wiring is catastrophic, would kill me right away if I touch it . I switched on the laptop and were able to set the control active and to trigger things like endpoint switches. I sadly have no stepper engine availiable atm, therefore I cant test engines with it yet.

I now will construct the mechanics, already have a nearly finished CAD modell and a masterplan of what parts I'll need. When it works the control will manage 3 stepping engines to move the axes and give information about 5 endpoint switches.

For those of you who dont know what I am talking about, I attached a utube video where you can see a cnc mill (watch your volume before opening it, the sound does sound like taken directly from the movie war of the worlds ). It's a computer-controled huge drilling machine that can even mill steel or draw cool pictures.

Took me 8 months now to build the control alone in my freetime, it's all a bit catastrophic yet; has no casing yet BUT IT WORKS !!! It's all build from scratch, I soldered all the parts only ordered the raw boards from a guy.

Yes yes yes ! So much for entps never finish what they start

[youtube="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKk-sYoBrH4"].[/youtube]
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Super cool, I can't wait to see you get yours moving. How are you planning to mount/enclose all that stuff?

From the Undertow CuriousFeeling's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII

This sounds like a wicked cool engineering project!

When you make something with the drill, post your creations.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Johari/Nohari

“Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings -- always darker, emptier and simpler.”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche

figsfiggyfigs

LOL I had to do something like this last semester, but mine was mostly programing based, I didn't have to build the arduino myself (pumps fist)

mine was way simpler and only took a few weeks :P

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Hey thanks for your answers

Quote Originally Posted by Qlippoth View Post
    Super cool, I can't wait to see you get yours moving. How are you planning to mount/enclose all that stuff?
    I found a Website of a company who exactly specialized on building casings. They even have a programm you can design your front panel with. Downside is, tho they have reasonable material prices, their fee is beyond reason. Would cost me 200 Euro just to build a small 19'' x 5'' x 4'' casing and that is too much project money spent on shit in my opinion.

It's a bit of a joke, if I had a cnc mill I could build my own casing but well.. . I am working on a cad model atm for a casing and there's a huge community on the internet of homemade cnc builders, who offer their service. Maybe I can get a fair price there.

I'll need to add another board to the set which routes end point switches and emergency halt. You can connect that to the main controller then. Will be a lot of wiring -.-

Quote Originally Posted by CuriousFeeling View Post
    This sounds like a wicked cool engineering project!

When you make something with the drill, post your creations.
    Ya xD. In fact I am planning on building a classical herb rack for our kitchen as a first project. I just have to be quicker before my girl looses her patience and buys one herself .

Quote Originally Posted by YWIR View Post
    LOL I had to do something like this last semester, but mine was mostly programing based, I didn't have to build the arduino myself (pumps fist)

mine was way simpler and only took a few weeks :P
    AVR projects are cool, build already all sorts of junk with it. A mini webserver or ASURO the autonomic robot are funny projects . Asuro is great for cleaning the house.

I very lately read about the possibility to connect an arduino to a stepper controller. There's a guy who wrote a servo control, which is basically a lot of math, to an Atmega32 and who sells them to cnc machine builders for a beer from their local brewery . I tho decided against his chip cause he doesnt hand out sourcecode and if I should break the IC I am dependant on him to supply me with another.

The control I build now is a very primordial one but it's a beauty to a thinkers mind. It does need no programming, works with a L297 / L298 combination, in which the L297 serves as komparator and the L298 as H-bridge driver. It is a chopper control which means the voltage isnt important (just should be as high as possible) and the current is regulated. This makes for a smooth and precise stepper operation. You have a constant rise in current until a predefined value is reached and then the control shuts down, waits some nanoseconds and rises again. This pulsing enables you to drive the steppers with 46 Volts @ 2.1 Amperes max. This pulsing is necessary, cause at a coil resistance of .5 for example, you would with 46 Volts have 92 Ampere run thru ur engine which would kill it immediantly and a whole herd of elephants with it.

Downside is the L298 is quite old and has a power dissipation loss of around 75%, so it's basically too old to be still in use. Yet its cheap with only 3 Euro, but a huge heat sink needs to be place on the l298s and I build a fan system for it with a small exrtra trafo plugged to AC.

It's a pretty clever analog circuit, tho very cheap. There are ICs which go up to 6A per stepper channel, but a board for one stepper motor would have costed me as much as I payed for three now and I tried to keep it low budget. I can theorethically use now engines that have around 2.9 Nm (410 in·ozf) @ 2.1 Amperes bipolar seriell steered in full-step modus. I decided tho to go for engines that only need 0.7 Amperes and give off 1.3 Nm (185 in·ozf), which I can use in half-step mode and bipolar parallel. This makes for a lot smoother operation and a peak current of 2.1 aswell (0.7 Ampere become 1.41 Ampere when connected bipolar parallel and half-step peaks the current additionally by the factor of sqrt(2)).

So this will let run the machine more smoothly and it doesnt make so much noise like the war of the world machine above . Besides since I plan on making the construction of aluminium I wont need so much torque anyways, cause milling steel on an aluminium construction wont be enough stability.

But maybe I can do some NE-metals

Here are some more pictures of the board at an earlier stage and the controller:

[URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

figsfiggyfigs

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    [img]
    Good god, I just imagined the internal structural mapping of all of that. What a maze!
    This reminds me so much of my digital electronic system design course; its a LOT of fun, but can get extremely messy after a bit of complexity!

Good job entropie!
    Last edited by figsfiggyfigs; 02-04-2011 at 02:51 PM. Reason: That fan is MASSIVE