User Tag List

First 123 Last

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

I wish I was paid on a "per task" basis rather than a "per hour" basis. Also in general I wish I could make my own hours and change them how I wish.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    I wish I was paid on a "per task" basis rather than a "per hour" basis. Also in general I wish I could make my own hours and change them how I wish.
    That would probably require going on commission and/or starting your own business.

People who get paid a lot per task often complain that for the amount of work they actually do, they aren't getting paid that much per hour. The trade off is really freedom not money.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    That would probably require going on commission and/or starting your own business.

People who get paid a lot per task often complain that for the amount of work they actually do, they aren't getting paid that much per hour. The trade off is really freedom not money.
    Yes exactly. I want freedom. I plan on starting my own business in the future, but I'm basically in training mode right now, so I just have to suck it up and accept the pointless unmotivating hours that I am given.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    GONE

^^ Yay for getting your card punched! While it may be excruciatingly boring in actuality, at least it sounds dirty.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    INXP

Hmm.

Being able to work at home a day or so a week.. works well.

Decent quality free tea and coffee, fruit and a kitchen.

A free pool table in our rest area. That rocks for lunchtime relaxation!

Being able to keep fairly relaxed hours - I like start late, finish late to avoid traffic and early morning starts.

A flexible benefits package, I can give up salary to buy all sorts of things, like up to 8 weeks holiday a year

MBTI
    GONE

^^
    8 weeks?? Lucky mug.

But, it's unpaid?

The US has one of the stingiest paid vacations in the 'industrialized world' and now some European countries are not far behiind slashing their vacation time. If I were French, I would have been hit hard by the 35 hour work week rolling back to 40.

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    ^^
    8 weeks?? Lucky mug.

But, it's unpaid?

The US has one of the stingiest paid vacations in the 'industrialized world' and now some European countries are not far behiind slashing their vacation time. If I were French, I would have been hit hard by the 35 hour work week rolling back to 40.
    5.5 weeks paid, plus public holidays (usually about 8). Quite right, I give up the extra pay for any further weeks, but it's spread over the whole year rather than hitting one big pay month!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Current: Freelance writer/editor

*can wear pajamas
    *can take work to Starbucks (could even wear pajamas there if I felt like it- have done before)
    *can pace myself however I like- if I want to kill myself doing the 6-week project in 2 weeks, I get that month for fucking around
    *can take anything I buy that I use for work as a tax deduction

Previous: Childcare Provider (in my home)

*could stay with my own kids while working, with instant playdates
    *fun, until I burned out

Before that: Childcare Provider (in their home)

*full-time pay for 6 hours per day
    *got to spend a year in Manhattan with the family in my own apartment that they paid me well enough to afford
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

My perks as Business Systems Analyst:

*Able to work from home as needed (I don't want to abuse it, as there's no necessity for me to work from home often - but, I've done it a few times so far this year)
    *I can put in just 40 hours/week and am still viewed as a good employee and can get good ratings
    *Bonuses each yr based on rating
    *Medical, dental, vision, 401K, profit sharing
    *Free tea/hot chocolate in break room (although I'm a tea snob so I bring my own because I don't like the brand they provide )
    *23 paid vacation days when you start, and now that I'm at 5 yrs, I get 28 paid vacation days (the 7 company holiday days are part of this total)
    *Ability to purchase up to 5 additional vacation days with a salary reduction.
    *So this year I have a total of 33 vacation days!!!

The bolded items are the primary reason I have little incentive switching jobs -- I am very aware that most corporations or organizations in the U.S. don't even come close to this, so I'd be giving up a LOT by leaving. And vacation days, and *my time/life*, are what is most important to me. I could probably easily have a higher salary somewhere else, but that's not my motivator.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

Cascademn, is your company hiring?
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari