User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ

1. Age/Sex/Location/Status (single, married) (one line)

28/m/outskirts/gf

2. If money wasn't a problem, what would you do with the next 5 years of your life? Where would you be at age 45 in this same scenario? (paint a picture for me) (6 sentences max)

Record an album. Buy a harem of women. Have my private track and drive sports cars all day. Study theoretical physics.

3. What 3 books and/or movies had the most impact on your life? (one line)

"Beyond good and evil" (Nietzsche)

4. Do you believe in God? Why/why not?(2 sentences max)

No opinion, no convincing evidence in favor or disfavor.

5. Pretend you had to film a documentary. What would it be on? Doesn't have to be an area of your current expertise. (2 sentences, include title)

Engines.

I like this questionnaire. It's interesting and the last question is one I've never seen before in one of these things.

37/M/Los Angeles/single by popular demand

2. If money wasn't a problem, what would you do with the next 5 years of your life? Where would you be at age 45 in this same scenario? (paint a picture for me) (6 sentences max)
    I would spend a lot of the time traveling and writing, including traveling into space (money must really not be a problem.) I'd like to write a book or movie about the process of training a civilian for space travel and the actual experience of the trip. When I wasn't traveling, I'd be trying to get my writing published/produced. I can't see wanting anything different at 45 or later than that.

"Cosmos" by Carl Sagan (book), "2001: A Space Odyssey" (movie and book), "Raiders Of The Lost Ark" (movie)

Yes. I see God in the elegance and beauty of the natural world, both on its face as a sensual experience and in the study of math and physics. Readings on cosmology have led me to believe that God is as logically likely as not. I also have an assist from gut instinct.

5. Pretend you had to film a documentary. What would it be on? Doesn't have to be an area of your current expertise. (2 sentences, include title)
    It would be about the political struggles of the present-day Boy Scouts of America as an institution contrasted with the experience of the actual boys in the program. I'm fascinated by the question of whether flawed institutions can still represent an overall positive impact. I'm terrible at titles.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

28/m/California/single-looking

Travel wherever I want and work on whatever projects I want based on what strikes me as interesting at the time. Same thing at age 45.

The Bhagavadh Gita. The Uddhavah Gita. The Bible

Yes. A panentheistic version based on the fact that everything is connected.

Inventing the Internet Making fun of Al Gore (who is a good sport), while interviewing the likes of Vint Cerf, Bob Kahn, Tim Berners-Lee, Linus Torvalds, Clayton Christensen, Tim O'Reilly and other luminaries, analysts, and experts.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

30+/female/here/married

2. If money wasn't a problem, what would you do with the next 5 years of your life? Where would you be at age 45 in this same scenario?
    (paint a picture for me) (6 sentences max)

I don't know. Maybe travelling around the world, buying a home from Caribbean.

I don't think any book or movie really had an impact on my life but there are several books and movies I have really enjoyed.

I don't know.

I really wouldn't want to film a documentary.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

37/Female/Midwestern US/married
    I'd keep doing what I'm doing but maybe go to school part-time. I'd fix up my current house and hire staff to help me keep it up. [Edit: I'd also buy the damn 'local' utility companies and make them non-profits and finance a couple of ya'lls' documentaries so I could see them.] Don could find something he liked better than driving a truck. At forty-five, I'd be doing roughly the same thing, but I would take the kids that wanted to go around the world with me on school breaks.
    3. What 3 books and/or movies had the most impact on your life? (one line) The Bible, The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, His Needs, Her Needs: Building an Affair-proof Marriage
    4. Do you believe in God? Why/why not?(2 sentences max) Yes. I think it's hard-wired into me or something.
    I Said No! ~ An Exploration of Parenting Methods and Styles Around the Globe
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    ESFJ

25/m/Philly/single and looking (voraciously)

2. If money wasn't a problem, what would you do with the next 5 years of your life? Where would you be at age 45 in this same scenario?
    I'd pay off my students loans, help my parents and my sister out financially, then head to Los Angeles to begin my film producing career (which I am doing anyway, but a load of money would expedite it). Also, three words: palazzo in Umbria.

3. What 3 books and/or movies had the most impact on your life?
    Trainspotting (showed me a different way in which films could be made)
    Searching for Bobby Fischer by Fred Waitzkin (I was a competitive chess player as a lad, and this book nailed the mindset, pressure, etc.)
    Up from Liberalism, by the late William F. Buckley, Jr. Even though I disagreed with much of what WFB stated, it was very exciting to hear an intellectual argue for many of the ideals that I hold dear. He liked wars and Joe McCarthy too much, though.

4. Do you believe in God? Why/why not?
    I am an agnostic, but I always wonder about the beginning of time/existence. I want to know the forces that we do not understand yet. I am a "proof" kinda guy, at heart.

5. Pretend you had to film a documentary. What would it be on? Doesn't have to be an area of your current expertise.
    Well, as a Film major, I have had to do documentary treatments, and mock grant proposals. My best two ideas were: 1) a documentary about New York City's fiscal crisis of 1975-76, when the city couldn't afford to pay its own workers and was millions in debt (great story there), or 2) a documentary about Travellers/"gypsies"/Romani peoples. This could be difficult, since they are rather private people, but I think it would be cool to investigate these subcultures (there are some pockets of major Traveller areas in the Appalachians).

OK, that's it.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I'll change my first answer into something more serious:

1. Age/Sex/Location/Status: 23 tomorrow/male/Ohio/single, lonely, and desperately in need of female companionship.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    49/female/northeast US/married 25 years
    2. If money wasn't a problem, what would you do with the next 5 years of your life?
    I would volunteer to help people in meaningful ways. I especially care about people who are grieving and who need comfort and encouragement. I also care about marriages that are floundering. I would need training first.
    Where would you be at age 45 in this same scenario? (paint a picture for me) (6 sentences max)
    Not sure what you're aiming at. When I was young, I wanted to be a recording artist, singer, songwriter. By the time I was 45, I would have had a long successful career pretty much behind me and would be financially enjoying the fruits of my labor. After that, I suppose perhaps I would have liked to travel a little and see some of the beautiful places in the world. I would have a beautiful big home where I could enjoy peace and quiet, and family life.
    When I was young, I hated to read, and movies were for entertainment. After I hit 30 something, two books have influenced me the most: Do What You Are and the Holy Bible.
    Yes. From the time I was a child, I wanted to believe in Him. When I was older, I started having personal experiences with Him that proved to me His existence.
    I'm not a documentary type of person. I've never liked documentaries very much. There are too many tragic subjects to choose from.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    1. 16/F/not telling/single
    2. Go to college without worrying about scholarship money, travel the world while doing so, become a painter, eat amazing food. Age 45: take out the college part.
    3. Ender's Game, Fahrenheit 451, and many more that I can't remember.
    4. No.
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
    Then he is not omnipotent.
    Is he able, but not willing?
    Then he is malevolent.
    Is he both able and willing?
    Then whence cometh evil?
    Is he neither able nor willing?
    Then why call him God? - Epicurius
    So to me, either there is no god, or a malevolent one, and religions say that god created humans to worship him, and I do not wish to give power to a malevolent god.
    5. No idea. Probably something historical, which I'll state if I ever figure it out.
    "'You scoundrel, you have wronged me,' hissed the philosopher. 'May you live forever!'" - Ambrose Bierce

MBTI
    INTj

1) 24/F/Baltimore/Getting married in two weeks
    2) If money wasn't a problem I would travel around the world with my husband. . . or sit at home and play online poker. At age 45, I would probably have multiple degrees and be a cool professor of some sort.
    3) I like books and movies, but they certainly don't impact my life.
    4) No. I'm going to need to see some evidence.
    5) My documentary would be on female nerds. I'm so tired of the glorification of male nerds in movies and tv. . . I want to hear more from the ladies.