User Tag List

View Poll Results: Did you have imaginary friend(s) when you were a child?

48. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am an INTROVERT and I DID

13 27.08%
  • I am an INTROVERT and I DID NOT

23 47.92%
  • I am an EXTRAVERT and I DID

1 2.08%
  • I am an EXTRAVERT and I DID NOT

7 14.58%
  • I am a SENSOR and I DID

3 6.25%
  • I am an SENSOR and I DID NOT

5 10.42%
  • I am an INTUITIVE and I DID

10 20.83%
  • I am an INTUITIVE and I DID NOT

26 54.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Imaginary friends as children

Quote Originally Posted by mmhmm View Post
    no. i have imaginary conversations with people i like though.
    still do it today.
    Hahahaha if only my friends knew the kinds of lives they were leading...

Symbolic Herald Array

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    It's up for me to say how I feel about it. "Pathetic" sounds harsh. If I said it "evokes pity" instead, which means the same thing, that's less harsh I suppose. I didn't mean it in a joking or facetious way either, I was serious.
    Oh okay, you just wrote lol and heh a lot so it sounded more ridiculing than pitying. Plus you said that people were keeping imaginary friends into adulthood and registering them on the forum, thats why it read facetious to me.

The Ninja Turtles are related to the elaborate imaginary friend... but the latter is much more of an escape from reality. A child might use any kind of coping mechanism, including imaginary lives and imaginary friends.. which is sad to me. And I just see imaginary friends in some cases attempts to fill a void a parent or peers or life aren't filling.
    If you didn't have one, how do you know that its like that at all? I just don't see why a child's imagination must be anchored to mass produced plastic and paint figures or material and thread and stuffing to be considered healthy. Kids play with sticks and rocks, even food. I believe Lynda Barry when she wrote that play and art is letting yourself enter another world, and doing so actually helps us stay in reality, not escape it. I can find out, but to my knowledge, psychiatry does not view imaginary friends as an indicator of emotional disturbance in children. I find it a shame, though likely common, that some adults are alarmed that their child has an imaginary friend, consider it a sign of disturbance (and reflective of parenting, causing personal embarrassment), ridicule the child or the friend (or maybe just speak harshly), and finally succeed in making sure that anything creative from the child's mind that doesn't rate in the adult's approval system is suppressed.

I'd actually argue that imagination, creative play, aimless wonder etc.. in kids (and adults) does serve a completely utilitarian (useful) purpose. It helps develop the mind and brain, and it's shown that it's key for kids to have that kind of stimulation early in life, or they become underdeveloped later in it.

When you really get into thinking about utilitarian thought, every action we take, even the weirdest among them, serves some utility.
    I can relate to this. I see it as good for mental health. Children prefer different kinds of play. I like encouraging them to engage in what suits them, even if it differs from my preferences.

Just answered the poll. I didn't have any imaginary friends. This wasn't due to a lack of imagination. But I very well knew all the people I invented were imaginary, which was one of their main attractions. I didn't befriend them. They were characters in roleplaying, in self-made stories,... When I was quite young (5-6 years), I used real people and characters I borrowed from fairy tales etc in my "stories" (eg. my classmates and I helped out Santa Claus). After a while, mixed forms appeared (there was a robot like in that comic strip, but mine was only 1,5 m high (not 2) and made from aluminium rather than copper; my role was played by someone with a different name). Ultimately I used other heroes (not myself in any disguise).
    They even didn't serve as sounding board. For that I used real people: the classmates (the same who helped out Santa), my parents and sister, sometimes the teacher...

I still do it. The stories have become a lot longer and more difficult. The characters are totally my own - well, they still borrow bits and pieces from people I know, both in real life and from books, but I'm quite confident I've mixed them up enough to be allowed to call them my own. I still haven't befriended them and still use other, real-life people as a sounding board.
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women